Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emobile coverage?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 3:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My current meteor contract is coming to an end soon and im looking to change provider.
    I have the HTC Hero at the moment and see that emobile are doing the HTC Desire for €89 on a 12 month contract of 100 calls 100 texts for €14 a month.
    Seems a nice deal,i jsut wonder how good emobile are?
    Meteor coverage where i am is not great and totally unavailable in some towns nearby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's identical, it's the exact same network, no difference. Very little 3G coverage nationwide. It could even be worse as I don't know if they have a roaming agreement with the other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

What coverage you get on meteor you get on emobile, same roaming agreement with Vodafone in the west.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys, i didnt realize it was the same network :o

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks guys, i didnt realize it was the same network :o

That's why we have emobile so you don't know it's meteor. I still can't make sense of it. Should have just left it called eircom mobile or meteor no need to go confusing things any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

That's why we have emobile so you don't know it's meteor. I still can't make sense of it. Should have just left it called eircom mobile or meteor no need to go confusing things any more.
    That's precisely the reason. Brand!

Meteor is the chislers network.
    Emobile is the "grown up" network.

It's clever marketing.
    They can use the Meteor brand to push the social aspect at the younger market without having to worry about putting off the lucrative professional and business users.
    Instead, they use the Emobile brand for that, and conversely don't need to worry about putting off the younger customers from staying with the "ol' fogies" network ;)

One network, two brands, you target both ends of the market = €€€

Now, if only their coverage was as strong as their marketing thinking :(

• Advertisement

But what was wrong with eircom mobile besides they kept loosing customers, surley eircom mobile is the strongest brand of the 3. It was more their customer care and network let them down not what they were called.

I still think we'll see a for sale sign on meteor yet, i'm thinking emobile is only there to hold onto the profitable customers before the for sale sign goes up. Why else would they be moving meteor bill pay customers to emobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Dcully wrote: »
    ... see that emobile are doing the HTC Desire for €89 on a 12 month contract of 100 calls 100 texts for €14 a month.
    Worth checking with your local meteor/emobile store, as a number of them seem to be doing a special offer on the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S at the moment, both free with bill pay contracts (even the lower end contracts, but the offer is up at the end of the month so you'd have to move pretty quickly). More information in this bargain alert thread (although there are shops not mentioned in that thread that are carrying the deal).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 14liam

Hi I have been an emobile user for the past 3 months... and I have experienced numerous dropped calls... I have never experienced anything like it... so far my experience has been poor coverage and poor call quality

14Liam

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Would there any issue going from meteor to emoblie once the contract expires? even thought they are the same network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 14liam

Sorry I am not sure... had to break a contract with vodafone for 60 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 T O D

Just what Captain Morgan said,

I was talking to Emobile today, but in relation to a credit phone, u have to get a new Sim Card from Emobile, they cannot just do it over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Oisen

I joined with emobile in November on a friends and family deal that was hard to turn down. Also I really wanted to get the Samsung Omnia 7 which has turned out to be a deadly phone. Major problem however is the rubbish coverage. I'm in mayo and can't remember ever seeing a 3G network symbol on the phone. It's always on five bars of G network, tops. Only ever get a few problems with making calls, so thats kinda ok, but you can forget about using data unless your on wifi. Really dissappointed with the whole deal. Love the phone and the plan I'm on, but wondering if I can continue to put up with the lack of 3G. Does anyone know if there are any realistic prospects for improving the network. Have tried roaming on the vodafone network but made little difference, in fact dropped a few calls doing so. emobile support don't seem to know much and keep telling me I should be able to get 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Check their/Meteor's coverage maps (they are the same company) that'll tell you

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

2 posters on this registering just to complain about coverage! Its probably someone who works in Three!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

we have 4 company phones with vodafone. The have over charged us 2 times in the past 6 months. One refund was over 600 euro. Our average monthly bill is 100 per phone. I contacted emobile they have sent out 4 new phones 7 days ago but no one has contacted us. I did ask about coverage because everyone gives out about meteror reception, they said they are using 3 network and when this does not work it uses vodafone. Has anyone experience here ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

They told you they're using three's network and when that doesnt work they use vodafone?? Thats not true. Meteor has it's own network infrastructure and emobile is using that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

With e-mobile and based in Dublin and absolutely no problems.

BTW Meteor/emobile seem to be the only people expanding their network these days - was told this by somebody in one of the other phone companies recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

e-Mobile since November. No problems with coverage, except at work, but that's an all-network blackspot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

BrianD wrote: »
    With e-mobile and based in Dublin and absolutely no problems.

BTW Meteor/emobile seem to be the only people expanding their network these days - was told this by somebody in one of the other phone companies recently.

They are but their coverage was often extremely poor outside of main population areas, they have little choice but to expand their network. The vast majority of their coverage rollout seems to be UMTS (3G) only, not GSM.

And yes, emobile is eircom, the parent company of meteor.
    Same network, same 085 prefix and same coverage. Whoever said emobile use 3 was either badly misinformed or lying through their teeth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement