Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a base for cycling holiday.

Options
  • 25-01-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for advice on where would be good, in terms of routes, Accom, weather and accessibility, for a few weeks warm weather training.
    Current dates available are the four weeks from Saturday 14th may to sat 11th June.
    I've cycled alot in catalunya over the past few years but want a change.
    Some I've talked to have suggested that not all the cols in the pyranees and alps will be open in may and that the weather may be unsuitable.
    I'd like to base myself in maybe two locations over the four weeks and don't mind a bit of travelling be it train or plane between them.
    Accessibility is an issue as I'll be travelling with my bike box and the mrs will be visiting on a weekend. A few from my cycling club have said that they'll come for the second and fourth week also.
    Cost is another issue. I don't mind where I stay once it's clean and the bike is safe.
    The aim of training is to increase the mileage before the summer and I'd be aiming for ~100km per day.
    Suggestions have included bases like Murcia, Nice, Milan, genoa, southern Italy,South west France, canaries and even Croatia.
    So have you any experience of these spots and what would you recommend?
    Many thanks,
    buzz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

It's probably a bit flat for you but we stayed in the vendee region in France. The weather is great and not too hot, the villages and beaches are lovely and the place is full of campsites which are great value for either a pitch or renting a fixed mobile home for a while. Beats those miserable formule one hotels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I stayed in the Sierra Nevadas for a week with these guys: www.vamoscycling.com

Loved it, super hilly routes and quality food.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Try Teneriffe. Warm, great roads and you even get to cycle up and over a volcano! 2500m high as far as I recall. Ryanair fly there and there are cycle tour operators that will organise trips etc. Longest descent I've ever done ws in Teneriffe...around 25km continuous downhill on smooth roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 freewheeling

The ex-British Olympic cyclist Emma Davies has a small cycling company in Nice - http://www.cyclecotedazur.com/
    Some nice routes around there and plenty of accommodation options (very scenic, too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

lalorm wrote: »
    Try Teneriffe. Warm, great roads and you even get to cycle up and over a volcano! 2500m high as far as I recall. Ryanair fly there and there are cycle tour operators that will organise trips etc. Longest descent I've ever done ws in Teneriffe...around 25km continuous downhill on smooth roads.
    +1

Tenerife is excellent. Good road surfaces and warm weather. Can get a bit windy but that's not the end of the world. Drivers are extremely courteous also because they're used to having pro teams training out there.

Advertisement