Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 players

• 25-01-2011 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm looking to buy a new mp3 player cos the sony nw-a1200 I have at the moment is shot. Can anyone advise me on what are the best ones out there? I'm looking for a 10gb-12gb one and am willing to spend about €200 give or take about €30. Where is the best place to look for one? I'm in the waterford area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I have a Cowon S9. Best mp3 player on the market in my opinion. Have mine 2 years, no problems. You can even hook it up to an old tv (via the red/yellow/white connections) to watch movies, and you can also connect it to a PS3 to play music and videos. Beautiful design and easy to use touch screen. Also works like an external drive unlike iPods which force you to use iTunes and convert your mp3s into different formats. Check out reviews of it on YouTube to see it and all the features.

Only thing is it's not available in shops for some reason, only online.

8GB for €178 or 16GB for €205:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/cowon-s9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I'm gonna say an iPod but the MP3 above sounds fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i would say definetly dont buy an i-pod as they have built in obsolesence issues with the battery and i know of other complaints people have had. You also look like a fashion-following twat with one.

In Sherwoods on John street I got a creative one (Model Zen vision-m 60 gig), its excellent, easy to use and has a radio on it. you can watch videos and stuff on it but why would you when we have TVs. It also got excellent reviews in some tech mags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Max Powers wrote: »
    You also look like a fashion-following twat with one.

People who think that way are usually idiots so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Max Powers wrote: »
    i would say definetly dont buy an i-pod as they have built in obsolesence issues with the battery and i know of other complaints people have had. You also look like a fashion-following twat with one.

I dont know where you get your info from butty,but the battery is great on the iPod,i have got up to 30+hrs with one charge many times.And how do you look like a twat with one,everybody has one these days,its time to get rid of your walkman boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Might not be the ball-park you're looking at in terms of spec but the Sansa Clip+ is a great little MP3 player for a fraction of the cost (about €40-50 for the 4GB). Bought one for the g/f and it really is tiny. Perfect for gym etc.

Does all the basics, ID3 tag based indexing, FM Radio, playlists etc. Interface isn't fancy but does fine. The handiest feature is it has a microSD slot on the side so you can easily and cheaply expand the capacity (up to 32G, 16G card for less than €30 these days).

Seems to be commonly cited as the best budget MP3 out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I dont know where you get your info from butty,but the battery is great on the iPod,i have got up to 30+hrs with one charge many times.And how do you look like a twat with one,everybody has one these days,its time to get rid of your walkman boy!

Just because they are popular doesnt mean they are good. IMO Ipods are the most over rated piece of technology out there. Nothing special about them and being confined to i-tunes tops it all off.

My gf had a creative zen years ago. Great little thing. Built quality was superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Opinions are like arseholes. Personally I don't see an issue with the iTunes software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BCSG7

Well lad what ipod would you recommend because I just want something that will hold about 5,000-10,000 songs on it and also a radio? I don't exactly download music by the letter of the law and was wondering what itunes is like to use? Is it true when you upload music onto it it gets rid of other music you already had on it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BCSG7 wrote: »
    Well lad what ipod would you recommend because I just want something that will hold about 5,000-10,000 songs on it and also a radio?

Both the classic and Nano ipods both come with radios,
    I don't exactly download music by the letter of the law and was wondering what itunes is like to use?

Admitting to piracy niceeeeee :pac:

iTunes is fine with any type of music regardless of source
    Is it true when you upload music onto it it gets rid of other music you already had on it?

Only if your a fool and can't use itunes or a computer properly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

If you can't get your head around iTunes get yourself Sharepod.
    Nifty bit of technology and it's free, google will show you the way.
    :)
    Oh and totally go for the Nano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

wobbles wrote: »
    My gf had a creative zen years ago. Great little thing. Built quality was superb
    Yeah I had a Creative Zen Micro too, only I had about 7 of them in 6 months. Same problem with everyone of them. Then after that I went onto the 20Gb Zen which also broke within 2 months. Superb Built Quality!

Then I went onto iPods. The 30Gb iPod video lasted me 1.5 years, then I got the
    8Gb touch which lasted from May 2008 until December 2010. It still works perfectly, just I dropped it and the screen cracked. Much better products and overall a better experience.

In relation to your question OP I would try pick up one of the older iPod Nano's (4th Generation). They would be in your price range and from what I know seem to be pretty decent.
    apple-ipod-nano-4g.jpg

Advertisement