Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donnybrook Fair opening in Stillorgan Shopping Centre

Options
  • 25-01-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/0119/1224287850539.html

Great news for Stillorgan Shopping Centre, should really pull in more shoppers and a bit more custom to the area. Also could attract further shops.

Also the article notes how Treasury Holdings who own the centre own Leisureplex and the old Bondi/Burn/Tribe/Blakes/Oasis and had plans approved recently to develop a retail complex of over 250,000sq. ft with larger units etc.

Happy days :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dundrum part 2 here we come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

Good move... I hate that Tesco store in Stillorgan.... too small and the queues are always massive

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The company employs over 180 people including a team of in-house chefs who produce high quality, fresh, home-made food. The business has had considerable success in recent years.

LOL :rolleyes:

not really home made if its made on the commercial premises is it...

Also there may be planning and permission to build a larger SC but there certainly is no money for it... I can't really see the demand being there either for the foreseeable future

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

best of luck to the owners, very successful stores in all their locations, hopefully will pull stillorgan in general up out of the hole its sunk into

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

They must be only selling food then because Dunnes tried to convert into a grocery and alcohol shop and had big licensing problems which meant they had to reverse their decision and keep it a Dunnes clothes only shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Treasury Holdings won't be redeveloping Stillorgan S.C. any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

unknown13 wrote: »
    They must be only selling food then because Dunnes tried to convert into a grocery and alcohol shop and had big licensing problems which meant they had to reverse their decision and keep it a Dunnes clothes only shop.

Dont think off lience will matter..... Tesco has a big one and did the one beside the petshop close down....

Does anybody know where in the shopping centre it is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

RE Dunnes failing to changeover to food store.

I heard that it was a problem with the electrical load that would be needed for modern food store with refridgeration demand etc and that the generators/set up in exisiting centre could not cope.

Where is Donnybrook Fair to locate? is Tesco pulling out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

is Tesco pulling out?

not a chance of that happening. It makes good money there, particularly the offo. Maybe the hardware may close but thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Can't see this making much difference to the centre. After working in the centre for 3 years, and being an employ of one of the "flagship" shops that closed, the centre has been in decline for a long long time. I can't see one shopping much difference to the centre. If they want to pull the centre out of the hole it is in, and has been in for a few years now, it would need ot be completely redeveloped and would need a large number of consumer drawing stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone remember when Donnybrook fair was just a drab looking Spar-like convenience store with an off-licence, and a horrible yellow plastic sign out front, on Donnybrook main street.

When exactly did they turn into some kind of "Brown Thomas" food franchise?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

donaghs wrote: »
    Anyone remember when Donnybrook fair was just a drab looking Spar-like convenience store with an off-licence, and a horrible yellow plastic sign out front, on Donnybrook main street.

When exactly did they turn into some kind of "Brown Thomas" food franchise?

Just all of a sudden the food quality when up extremely high. Unfortunately the prices followed, but the food there went from being run of the mill to being very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Just all of a sudden the food quality when up extremely high. Unfortunately the prices followed, but the food there went from being run of the mill to being very very good.

I dont recall the food there pre-Celtic Tiger being "bad" exactly! Their Rich Tea biscuits, Cadbury's chocolates, Cup a soups, Nescafe jars, kellogs cereals, etc were the same as every other convenience store!

There must have been new ownership who rebranded them with a "fine foods" image. They also expanded the floor space - and the number of stores.

I dont recall the food there pre-Celtic Tiger being "bad" exactly! Their Rich Tea biscuits, Cadbury's chocolates, Cup a soups, Nescafe jars, kellogs cereals, etc were the same as every other convenience store!

There must have been new ownership who rebranded them with a "fine foods" image. They also expanded the floor space - and the number of stores.

I never said they were 'bad', just that they were run of the mill, which is fine and just like your spars centras etc. And then they upped their food quality from regular standard to fine foods.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Exact same owner, they store opened up into the neighbouring building, then got redeveloped circa 2001 i think, and been expanding ever since, the place is huge, massive underneath main floor, restaurant ontop with pluthers of offices in there too

Well the sign is now up in the centre saying its opening soon.

It's over the old Golden Discs so I imagine that DF will be taking the old Body Shop and old Card Shop there.

Decent spot for it!

Well the sign is now up in the centre saying its opening soon.

It's over the old Golden Discs so I imagine that DF will be taking the old Body Shop and old Card Shop there.

Decent spot for it!

Yeah and it couldn't be any nearer to Tesco aswell.

i believe its taking up 3 premises

i believe its taking up 3 premises

It would have to to faciltate it. Body Shop, Golden Discs and The card shop were all pretty small premises. I presume the entrance is going to Golden's Discs old entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Ive a job interview tomorrow. And I don't know were it's.

I'll be going from Parnell street. Any idea on what bus to take?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Ive a job interview tomorrow. And I don't know were it's.

I'll be going from Parnell street. Any idea on what bus to take?

Thanks.

Get the 145 or 46A from O'Connell Street, they come very regularly.

You want to get off at the stop after the Stillorgan Park Hotel, the stop is called "Stillorgan Bypass"

Tis open now! :)

Advertisement