Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 shop donegal town - closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah. Got the same text. That leaves 2 left in the county ! Letterkenny and Carndonagh. Looks like the end of me queueing for IPhones on launch day. Have to say the staff were excellent there. Ringing customer service is no substitute for face to face. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Doengal town seems to be just withering away.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I got the text too.

I had heard rumours last week, but didn't believe them - seems the rumours were right.

It's a shame. As sligopark says, it's like the town is gradually withering away. Especially after Alpha Communications losing the o2 agency, then leaving town altogether (I think they're only in Bundoran now).

So, if we wanna buy a mobile phone in town now, we only have Kelco Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Wasn't there an O2 shop in Ballyboffey up untill a one or a couple of years ago? It seems that O2 have abandoned the whole area between Sligo and Letterkenny... With Kelco/Vodafone being the only mobile phone franchise in the rest of the county I'd hope that they don't try to take advantage of their virtual monopoly.

sligopark wrote: »
    Doengal town seems to be just withering away.

I'd have to disagree, Simple Simons, O Hehirs, Mango Hair Studio and Deli have all opened in the last year; while some businesses have closed there are always people willing to try to get their dream up an running. The problem seems to be that the landlords (around the Diamond) are living in cloud cuckoo land, where their rents can only keep going up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Firblog wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree, Simple Simons, O Hehirs, Mango Hair Studio and Deli have all opened in the last year; while some businesses have closed there are always people willing to try to get their dream up an running. The problem seems to be that the landlords (around the Diamond) are living in cloud cuckoo land, where their rents can only keep going up...

i'm guessing the same their seem to be landlords who think they can still charge the prices that the charged 3-4 years ago and they are just losing the tenants.

We'll have to agree to disagree then Firblog - whilst two new businesses have opened and another refocused its business, businesses are being massacred with way more businesses closing than opening, and factories are slipping away. It has little to do with rents either to be honest or the excorbitant rates.

Gallaghers in Ardara announced 124 jobs to go, 25 jobs to be moved to Dublin and the rest to go if buyer is not found for the brand, Killybegs is a ghost town, and in the town, Abbotts has been slimmed down massively, and the mart development never happened, a development that would have drawn in long term sustainable business, and tourism? There was a report of a tourist last September but no one has been able to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ever tried getting a handy parking spot then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Sure Mary Coughlin can use it for her campaign office for the next month.

muffler wrote: »
    Ever tried getting a handy parking spot then?

tbh any time I have been up there lately its not being a bother unlike how it used to be.

• Advertisement

just noticed that sherry fitzgeralds moved into the old furniture /motor factors opposite the italian

just noticed that sherry fitzgeralds moved into the old furniture /motor factors opposite the italian

Aren't those not just 'for rent' signs?

oops maybe, just glanced at it driving past this morning

sorry

:o

They weren't long ripping out the O2 shop!!

Looks like they are based in there alright and I see McGinley motors are moving back to the town.

Yup, saw that alright :) nice to see it. The estate agents moved to Breslins alright, now the bottom floor of the diamond centre is empty, hopefully who ever owns it, will reduce rent and fill up those 2 units again soon.

byte

Owned by Duncan's.

Be good if they got filled alright.

Anyone hear rumour about the old Ulster Bank turning into a pub?

Post 15,000... yay...

You can have pint in the new pub to celebrate.

Didn't hear that rumor .... Yet

byte

irish1967 wrote: »
    You can have pint in the new pub to celebrate.

Didn't hear that rumor .... Yet
    It could be false, we shall see.

You might've heard who supposedly bought it? I'm not naming here though.

Nods

• Advertisement

planning permission sign on the shop now for.....

wait for it .....

a fast food outlet, yep thats what we need, another one of those

byte

wait for it .....

Yeah, somebody mentioned it in another thread.

I wouldn't have thought there'd be a need for so many similar establishments on or near the Diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Can anyone tell me if the 02 shop is closed yet?

yep sure is closed, a long while now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wait for it .....

Oooo. Never noticed that. Is it a chain/franchise, or a private/independent looking to open?

Although, is there one really needed? Look what happened to subway, Duffys only opens in the evenings, never really a big crowd in Abras or the Four Lights bar after chucking out time, and people aren't going to head up that end of town for food at that time unless its preety special.
    Pangea wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the 02 shop is closed yet?

Closed a couple of months at least. Noticed Andersons Estate Agents (I think it was them) are using it currently as a display window.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Did anything open in the O2 shop?

Looking for somewhere different to stop tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Nope, still vacant.

New pub is coming on well next to Central Hotel. The front appears to be one large glass panel. Not a place to try and sneak into for a quiet pint. Looks like it could be up and running in a week or two :)

New pub 'The Bank' open now, seems alright, bit bare.. wouldn't really be my kinda place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

New pub 'The Bank' open now, seems alright, bit bare.. wouldn't really be my kinda place

Yeah seems like a really nice looking place but theres not much atmosphere about it though. Suppose that will come with time i guess.

Advertisement