Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 shop donegal town - closing

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is the shop wee Gerry's though? I thought it was owned by the other man whose name escapes me now. Or maybe both of them own it. Is the Sligo MM still open?

Nevertheless, shame for it to close. Some of you may remember it when it was taking up a big unit in the Manhattan Arcade, many moons ago!

A bigger shame if Wards upstairs was also to close, though I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

byte wrote: »
    Is the shop wee Gerry's though? I thought it was owned by the other man whose name escapes me now. Or maybe both of them own it. Is the Sligo MM still open?

Nevertheless, shame for it to close. Some of you may remember it when it was taking up a big unit in the Manhattan Arcade, many moons ago!

A bigger shame if Wards upstairs was also to close, though I hope not.

In the Quayside? Been closed for quite sometime.

I to have to admit I have not bought for a while in the Donegal Town branch, although did go in occasionally for a browse.

We were actually talking about it earlier today, will try to remember to keep an eye out in the morningto see if still open.

byte

Well, it was open Friday anyway, with Sale signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think you're going to see a lot of the mobile phone retailers disappearing as the market is 100% saturated and a lot of the best deals are now done by direct sales online.

I've noticed however that O2 seems to have a lot less stores than they used to, even in major urban areas like Cork and Dublin (where they were direct owned by O2 Retail).

Meteor/Emobile and Three seem to be the only ones opening new stores these days.

byte

And, indeed, according to this week's Donegal Times, Melody Maker will close up this weekend.

As an aside, it is Pat Ely that owns the gaff, with Folksy Gerry as manager.

Ward's music shop is staying as is, thankfully.

• Advertisement

And, indeed, according to this week's Donegal Times, Melody Maker will close up this weekend.

As an aside, it is Pat Ely that owns the gaff, with Folksy Gerry as manager.

Ward's music shop is staying as is, thankfully.

Was still open today, didn't notice a close date in the window.

Did just happen to notice as well that the clothing store in supervalue was also closing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

irish-stew wrote: »
    Did just happen to notice as well that the clothing store in supervalue was also closing today.

Ah that's too bad. That shop isn't open all that long

byte

Was still open today, didn't notice a close date in the window.

Yeah, I thought I saw it open alright!

God knows when it's closing, unless they meant today. *shrug*

Yeah, I thought I saw it open alright!

God knows when it's closing, unless they meant today. *shrug*

If you can find some CDs that you like, theres a couple of good deals to be had.

Some were 2 for €15, others were 3 for €10. Unfortunatly didn't see any that I really liked today.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

am from donegal town not living there now but was up just b4 christmas sad to c the town like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

am from donegal town not living there now but was up just b4 christmas sad to c the town like that
    You have a keyboard so please use it.

"Text speak" is in breach of the forum charter which I suggest you read.

Thanks

`calm down calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

overshoot wrote: »
    but we got a huge hole in the ground:pac:
    as much as id blame the developers greed in trying to be the only game in town, the planning system was shown up to be a right shambles.... i could go on a long rant here but it may be off topic

Well we gonna get a bigger hole in the ground now.. Digger back working on that site today...

Firblog wrote: »
    Well we gonna get a bigger hole in the ground now.. Digger back working on that site today...

Is this the hole in the ground down from Supervalu. Someone said Aldi/Lildl was going in there. Is the site even big enough or will it extend back behind the exsisting carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

from the aldi thread... links should still work
    overshoot wrote: »

aldi will be over the other end of the hill where the current raised carpark is, a few apartments go along the road and a longer building with smaller units beside it... im just wondering if he will build it all at once or just the aldi. might have no choice in that the parking (for aldi and the hill replacement) is on the roof of the smaller units

pretty hard to read but this is the only one i can find that shows the entire site.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

muffler wrote: »
    You have a keyboard so please use it.

"Text speak" is in breach of the forum charter which I suggest you read.

Thanks

Wow, bit much really.

Believe that the Indian in Donegal has closed now too, lets hope that the new development going up will give a boost to commercial activity in the town..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Firblog wrote: »
    Believe that the Indian in Donegal has closed now too, ..
    not heard that - you sure ?

byte

I hadn't heard that it was closed or closing either. Have to admit, I'm not a big fan of Indian food - prefer Chinese! (as an aside, I've still not tried the Thai place in the Central, though I hear it's good)

Guy I was working with yesterday morning had heard it, but wasn't sure, he said he'd checked yesterday @ lunchtime and there was a notice up; I'll be passing that way later so if I remember I'll take a look to confirm.

• Advertisement

Checked on this yesterday afternoon, no notice on door and lights on inside; nothing to indicate that it had closed. I believe that it's business as usual there...

bit much to give dog pig a red card four that

byte

I still haven't been round that way, but was told the Indian has now moved to where the Chinese restaurant was, facing the street.

Byte is correct there, just passed it tonight, now on main street.

I hadn't heard that it was closed or closing either. Have to admit, I'm not a big fan of Indian food - prefer Chinese! (as an aside, I've still not tried the Thai place in the Central, though I hear it's good)

I did try the Thai place in the central once. Well what I did was order from the Thai menu whislt everyone else ordered from the regular menu.

Was quite good, had a black bean sauce type dish. Actually totally forgot about it till I seen your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I did try the Thai place in the central once. Well what I did was order from the Thai menu whislt everyone else ordered from the regular menu.

Was quite good, had a black bean sauce type dish. Actually totally forgot about it till I seen your post.
    It's fabulous!! I love the Thai. They have it upstairs now in the back room of the bar so it's an intimate area with about 10-12 tables. Really beautiful food. It won't leave you with that full, bloated, sluggish feel when you are finished. I highly recommend the thai green curry! :D

byte

It's fabulous!! I love the Thai. They have it upstairs now in the back room of the bar so it's an intimate area with about 10-12 tables. Really beautiful food. It won't leave you with that full, bloated, sluggish feel when you are finished. I highly recommend the thai green curry! :D
    Must keep it in mind, though I do keep forgetting about it. I was told it's now only open Friday and Saturday's, which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Yes, I have to agree, its the only food that doesn't make you feel completely stuffed afterwards and I also find the Thai green curry lovely. The lady who works there is very helpful and friendly too.

Was chatting to the owner of the Chadrapur (think it's spelt that way) Indian in Donegal Town today; They have now moved back to their origional premesis, and business is continuing as normal :)

• Advertisement
    byte

As of today, Beatty Fuels coal yard on New Row has closed up too.

Advertisement