Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do i need to buy?!

• 25-01-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have a full HD tv that isnt compatable with saorview, its an english tv bought around 2 years ago when i didnt know about the future changeover to saorview, im wondering what "box" do i need to get to get the rte, tg4, tv3 channels and the freeview channels BBC'S,C4 and the free HD channels, Is there one package with box and dish i can buy that will recieve the lot? I'm clueless with this craic! Appreciate the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi guys, I have a full HD tv that isnt compatable with saorview, its an english tv bought around 2 years ago when i didnt know about the future changeover to saorview, im wondering what "box" do i need to get to get the rte, tg4, tv3 channels and the freeview channels BBC'S,C4 etc, is there one package with box and dish i can buy that will recieve the lot? I'm clueless with this craic! Appreciate the help!

Yes. I suggest you get the Ferguson Ariva HD Combo or one of the combos on the terrestrial page in the stickies. Full HD box etc.

As you can see the satellite side (all the British Free to air channels incl HD Channels) is serviced by your satelitte dish and the DTT side (RTE1 2 Tv3 3e TG4 Rte News Now) is serviced by your aerial - both connections on back of box, all in one channel list which you can customise.
    552-1832-thickbox.jpg

Satellite.ie

What model Tv is it out of curiousty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Thank you STB appreciate the help, thats good to hear!

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/WebProd/P...x?mfpn=L37VP01 Its this model, didnt buy it from them though!

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/WebProd/P...x?mfpn=L37VP01 Its this model, didnt buy it from them though!

Ah Yes... 2007 model. Wrong tuner hardware I am afraid so will be no good for DTT (aka Saorview).

The box does both sat and terrestrial full hd. Far as I know the remote that comes with it can be programmed to take over the existing functions of your TV remote as well, so you wont need 2remotes.

"Tony" posts here - I am sure he will give you a discount if you ask. PM him.

STB wrote: »
    Ah Yes... 2007 model. Wrong tuner hardware I am afraid so will be no good for DTT (aka Saorview).

The box does both sat and terrestrial full hd. Far as I know the remote that comes with it can be programmed to take over the existing functions of your TV remote as well, so you wont need 2remotes.

"Tony" posts here - I am sure he will give you a discount if you ask. PM him.

Thank you! Yeah im stomached i wasnt told by the salesman at the time, too late now though im afraid! Will the "Ferguson Ariva HD Combo" get me the irish stations on this tv? Id hate to have two boxes, one for he english channles one for the irish! Does a dish come supplied with the "Ferguson Ariva HD Combo" do you know or do i buy seperate?

Thank you! Yeah im stomached i wasnt told by the salesman at the time, too late now though im afraid! Will the "Ferguson Ariva HD Combo" get me the irish stations on this tv? Id hate to have two boxes, one for he english channles one for the irish! Does a dish come supplied with the "Ferguson Ariva HD Combo" do you know or do i buy seperate?

An alternative to the Ferguson is the Edision Argus 2n1. Same thing different box. Again it is one box that does both DTT and Satelitte in one channel list from the same box.

You get all the gear to set it up with this. An Outdoor Aerial for DTT and Dish for Satelitte all of which connect to the one box. Are you handy DIY wise ?

wall-mounted-digital-satellite-combo-kit12946599464d2af16a7cf20.jpg

These are a seperate company to "Tony" I posted about above. Note that the price is less vat so add the 21% on top. An aerial is included, you may not need one if you have one already. Ask Tony can he offer you something similar if you wish - I dont work for him by the way, but he does offer good support on here.
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/combo-digital-satellite-tv-kit.html

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    An alternative to the Ferguson is the Edision Argus 2n1. Same thing diffrent box. Again it is one box that does both in one channel list.

You get all the gear to set it up with this. Are you handy DIY wise ?

http://www.tvtrade.ie/combo-digital-satellite-tv-kit.html

Perfect, il get that one so, thanks for the help and advice! Yep builder by trade!

Okay you may wish to check what type aerial they will give you.

Channel 22 operates from Rathfadden for Waterford city as far I know.

But you may also pick it up from Mt Leinster Ch 39 and Suir Valley 52.

A wideband will offer most oprions rather than a group aerial - see what they offer you in that package. They will know its for DTT as thats what they are selluing you so tell them where you will using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Also considering doing something similar to OP.

Is this Edision Argus VIP2 much better than the Edision Argus Mini 2 in 1? It seems to offer recording DTT while watching sat and viceversa, which I think the Argus Mini 2 in 1 can't do?

Also how good is the EPG when compared to sky. The reason I am asking is when I compare sky's EPG to that of silvercrest / UPC etc, sky seems much more responsive. Is Edision EPG as fast as the Sky's?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement