Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal statement?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

Hey.

I've noticed a few people on the forum talking about their personal statements for their cao application. I'm just wondering do I have to send a separate personal statement along with the cao application or do I just use the area supplied on the application form? Also I'm applying to DCU and I need to send them a Mature Applicants
    Supplementary Information Form as well as my cao application. There's a section on that form aswell to say why you should be given a place on the course etc, would that be sufficient or should I send a separate personal statement with that form as well?

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i just popped mine in seperatley with the application.

they probably don't even read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Duff wrote: »
    Hey.

I've noticed a few people on the forum talking about their personal statements for their cao application. I'm just wondering do I have to send a separate personal statement along with the cao application or do I just use the area supplied on the application form? Also I'm applying to DCU and I need to send them a Mature Applicants
    Supplementary Information Form as well as my cao application. There's a section on that form aswell to say why you should be given a place on the course etc, would that be sufficient or should I send a separate personal statement with that form as well?

Thanks alot.

You use the area supplied on the CAO form, its limited to a certain amount of words AFAIK, you must post the remainder seperately, if applying on line or attach accordingly if not.

If you are applying directly to DCU, it may be wise to alter your Personal statement so that it is specific to DCU.

Not only do they read them, if you attend for an interview, they generally have it in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You use the area supplied on the CAO form, its limited to a certain amount of words AFAIK, you must post the remainder seperately, if applying on line or attach accordingly if not.

If you are applying directly to DCU, it may be wise to alter your Personal statement so that it is specific to DCU.

Not only do they read them, if you attend for an interview, they generally have it in front of them.

The above is correct.

If you are using more than the space provided in the online application for your PS, write See Postal Documents and submit them. Have your name and CAO number on each document you submit to the CAO.

As long term louth has stated above, you should also send a separate, tailored to the university if needs be, personal statement. If there is a space saying as to why you should be given the place on the course, slot your personal statement in there. No point having unneccessary extra documents. Your personal statement IS your reason as to why you want a place at university!
    ntlbell wrote: »
    i just popped mine in seperatley with the application.

they probably don't even read them.

This is not correct. And I don't know where you came up with this idea from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fionab2010

:p I think this thread is hilarious, Of course they read the personal statement you silly nilly ntlbell

:eek::eek:Its purpose is to inform them why you are worthy of a place, why you want it and how you plan to get through 3+ years of university as a mature candidate! Considering that matures mostly will not have leaving cert results, you could say what you popped in the post is the piece of paper that is competing with other matures for a place on your chosen course.

:oI am gobsmacked...And Larianne all your posts have really helped me, you should set up a blog or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Less of the 'silly nilly' comments fionab2010. Some posters may take offence at being called that. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement