Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Awards 2010 - Results!

Options
  • 25-01-2011 6:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The votes have been counted, the judges bribed and the results are in. Below are the results for this years film forum awards. Big thanks to Mr. E for his help with the polling and Sad Professor for all his help with nomination threads and the like! Detailed results available at this link: http://urlx.ie/filmawardresults/

Acting Awards: Best Actor
    Winner: Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
    Runner Up: Leonardo Di Caprio - Shutter Island

Acting Awards: Supporting Actor
    Joint Winner: Tom Hardy - Inception
    Joint Winner: Joseph Gordon Levitt - Inception
    Joint Runner Up: Jeremy Renner - The Town
    Joint Runner Up: Andrew Garfield - The Social Network

Acting Awards: Best Actress
    Winner: Jennifer Lawrence – Winter’s Bone
    Runner Up: Emma Stone – Easy A

Acting Awards: Best Supporting Actress
    Winner: Marion Cottilard - Inception
    Runner Up: Ellen Wong - Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Acting Awards: Best Newcomer
    Winner: Andrew Garfield - The Social Network
    Runner Up: Jennifer Lawrence - Winter’s Bone

Best Film Awards: Hollywood
    Winner: Inception
    Runner Up: Toy Story 3

Best Film Awards: Irish / British
    Winner: Kick Ass
    Joint Runner Up: Centurion
    Joint Runner Up: The Ghost Writer

Best Film Awards: Foreign Language
    Winner: A Prophet
    Runner Up: Mesrine: Killer Instinct (i.e. Part One)

Best Film Awards: Adaptation / Remake
    Joint Winner: Shutter Island
    Joint Winner: The Social Network
    Runner Up: The Road

Best Film Awards: Animation
    Winner: Toy Story 3
    Runner Up: How to Train Your Dragon

Best Film Awards: World Animation
    Winner: The Illusionist
    Joint Runner Up: Chico and Rita
    Joint Runner Up: Evangelion 2.0

Best Film Awards: American Independent / Arthouse
    Winner: Winter’s Bone
    Runner Up: The Kids Are Alright

Best Film Awards: Documentary
    Winner: Exit Through the Giftshop
    Runner Up: American: the Bill Hicks Story

Misc Awards: Best Director
    Winner: Chris Nolan - Inception
    Runner Up: David Fincher – The Social Network

Misc Awards: Best Screenplay
    Runner Up: Social Network

Misc Awards: Best Character
    Winner: Eames – Tom Hardy - Inception
    Runner Up: Hit Girl – Chloe Moretz - Kick Ass

Misc Awards: Best Soundtrack / Score
    Runner Up: Tron Legacy

Misc Awards: Best Cinematography
    Runner Up: Shutter Island

Misc Awards: Best Scene
    Winner: Inception - Zero Gravity Fight
    Runner Up: Toy Story 3 - Incinerator

Misc Awards: Best Special Effects
    Runner Up: Tron Legacy

Misc Awards: Newcomer of the Year (director)
    Winner: Rodrigo Cortés – Buried
    Runner Up: Chris Morris - Four Lions

Misc Awards: Film That Deserved Better
    Winner: The Road
    Joint Runner Up: Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    Joint Runner Up: The A-Team

Walk of Shame Awards: Worst Film
    Winner: Sex and the City 2
    Runner Up: Twilight Eclipse

Walk of Shame Awards: Worst Acting Performance
    Winner: Megan Fox – Jonah Hex
    Runner Up: Schwarzenegger - The Expendables

Walk of Shame Awards: Most Overrated Film
    Winner: Scott Pilgrim
    Joint Runner Up: Shutter Island
    Joint Runner Up: The Social Network

Walk of Shame Awards: Biggest Missed Opportunity
    Winner: Expendables
    Joint Runner Up: The Lovely Bones
    Joint Runner Up: Predators

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Poor Arnie. On screen for about 15 seconds but still managed to feck it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A few comments:

Inception predictably dominated, and in most cases deservedly so. However, I did think the Tron score and the Toy Story incinerator scene edged it out in the best soundtrack / scene categories, but the zero gravity fight was pretty great in fairness.

Would have liked to see more recognition for The Social Network (I'm just glad it didn't win overrated film!), and I'm still a bit suspicious about Kick Ass' Best British film accolade :pac: Nice to see some love for Winter's Bone.

I think the new categories did mix it up a bit though. What did everyone else think?

Also, is there much point having a poll for overall film of the year? I'm fairly certain Inception is just going to walk away with it. Thank **** there's not a Christopher Nolan film next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Also, is there much point having a poll for overall film of the year?
    Probably not, for the reason you gave. Fun poll, though I wish I had been around to put forward a few noms. Maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Did the awards nominations stop in October or something? It's missing half the biggest films of 2010. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I'm surprised anyone voted for someone other than Nic Cage in the Bad Lieutenant. He had that one nailed by a country mile for me.

One of the toughest calls to make I thought was on the score/soundtracks - Inception Vs Tron: Legacy was very tough to choose between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

KerranJast wrote: »
    Did the awards nominations stop in October or something? It's missing half the biggest films of 2010. :confused:
    Like what? Did you nominate? Films nominated needed to be released in Irish cinemas before the end of 2010.

Results are predictable enough, although have to agree with johnny - 'the Incinerator Scene' trumped anything else I've seen this year, and the 'Tron' OST was sublime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Go Inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

basquille wrote: »
    Like what? Did you nominate? Films nominated needed to be released in Irish cinemas before the end of 2010.

Results are predictable enough, although have to agree with johnny - 'the Incinerator Scene' trumped anything else I've seen this year, and the 'Tron' OST was sublime!
    TBH I didn't spot the separate section. I would have thought The Kings Speech would be in there. Then again a lot of people wouldn't have seen it. Thats the flaw of public voting I suppose.

KerranJast wrote: »
    TBH I didn't spot the separate section. I would have thought The Kings Speech would be in there. Then again a lot of people wouldn't have seen it. Thats the flaw of public voting I suppose.
    The King's Speech was only released on the 7th January.. so it wasn't eligible.

If it was eligible, I would have voted for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I love Inception, I really do. But I don't think it deserved to run away with everything it was nominated for.
    Also, is there much point having a poll for overall film of the year?
    Nah. Like you said, we already know what would win it.

I think the new categories worked out brilliantly. Although for next year it might be worth considering splitting the Best Hollywood category in two. Maybe a Best Blockbuster/Summer Film category and a Best Hollywood Non-Genre/Drama Film category. Just a way of separating big films like Inception from the smaller, more "serious" films like The Social Network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Underground

Thank **** there's not a Christopher Nolan film next year!
    Have to wait till 2012 for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I love Inception, I really do. But I don't think it deserved to run away with everything it was nominated for.

Nah. Like you said, we already know what would win it.

I think the new categories worked out brilliantly. Although for next year it might be worth considering splitting the Best Hollywood category in two. Maybe a Best Blockbuster/Summer Film category and a Best Hollywood Non-Genre/Drama Film category. Just a way of separating big films like Inception from the smaller, more "serious" films like The Social Network.

I think you'd be running the risk of diluting the awards too much to be honest.

The new categories worked out very well, but IMO there shouldn't be any further segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

basquille wrote: »

Enter the Void. I'm not over-exaggerating but it's far superior than Inception.

Renn wrote: »
    Enter the Void. I'm not over-exaggerating but it's far superior than Inception.
    Well personally I can't agree. I thought it was a train wreck.. I've lost all faith in Gaspar Noé with that effort.

Shocking for the sake of being shocking and an unpleasant attack on the senses.

Felt like I needed to sit down in a dark room after it. Dreadful!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Inception a worthy winner imo

Oh which though? Judging by the outcome of most of the awards it seems like people saw a maximum of one film in 2010.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Renn wrote: »
    Oh which though? Judging by the outcome of most of the awards it seems like people saw a maximum of one film in 2010.

It's pretty much the same every year, one big name tends to dominate. A shame in one regard, but hey it is a public vote, and without purposefully distorting the poll in order to favour other films (which we kind of did this year to get smaller films a look in) it is always going to be this way. And as long as it is being given to a good film - if not necessarily the 'best' of the year IMO - I'm not too disappointed.

I am not opposed to banning the Dark Knight Rises from the running in 2012, however :pac: We'll just give it an honourary 'it's good, we get it' award. The 'Annual Christopher Nolan award for Best Christopher Nolan film' has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

...The 'Annual Christopher Nolan award for Best Christopher Nolan film' has a nice ring to it.
    Semi-annual. But, love it. :cool:

He's only managed features in back to back years once - Batman Begins and The Prestige. I guess recycling half the cast didn't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Any way they could be altered to include all the nominations?

Not in the order of how people voted, but just so that I remember who I voted for in what category.

Cheers.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Any way they could be altered to include all the nominations?

Not in the order of how people voted, but just so that I remember who I voted for in what category.

Cheers.

There's a URL in the first post linking to detailed results, has all the nominations in there :)

Or to save you a mouse click and valuable seconds: http://urlx.ie/filmawardresults/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

probably a retarded question, but how exactly was kick-ass a british film, does it need to be a british director, cause polanski done ghost writer, british actors cause only the lead of kick-ass was british,

kick-ass doesnt have any references to britan and probably got zero funding or any sort from there, so how did it qualify:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Most of Kick Ass's independent financing came from the UK. A lot of it was shot there as well. And most of the filmmakers were British. It may look American, but it was definitely a British film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Most of Kick Ass's independent financing came from the UK. A lot of it was shot there as well. And most of the filmmakers were British. It may look American, but it was definitely a British film.

It was also co-written by Jonathan Ross's wife, Jane Goldman.

In other news. Tron Legacy score was the biggest shock for me. Should have won by a country mile. As it should have for SFX. Inception was rather great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

Completely agree about Toy Story scene and Tron soundtrack. It could be worth splitting the screenplay section into original and adapted because it was tough to choose between Social Network and Inception. Glad to see The Road got an accolade. Highly underrated film. And finally if Enter the Void will never be nominated for it's "no honestly it's art" storyline.
    PS Kickass was most overrated.

p to the e wrote: »
    Enter the Void will never be nominated for it's "no honestly it's art" storyline.

What?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement