Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools - Dublin 12

Options
  • 25-01-2011 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi

We're looking for schools around the D12 area for our son

Any opinions on

Mourne Road infant school
    Assumption, walkinstown
    St Damiens, Crumlin
    Scoil Mologa
    Gaelscoil inse chor
    St Peters Greenhills
    Loreto, Crumlin

Any other suggestions/recommendations????

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Try St. Pius in Terenure. My eldest goes there and in my opinion it's well run outfit. It's probably 2 km from St. Peter's in Greenhills. It's both girls and boys but the two schools, while separate, are in the same location.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Our Lady of Lourdes,Goldenbridge..just over drimnagh luas stop bridge...great school, good mix of society in it...lots going on..area around school is bit of a dump but dont let it put you off

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Drimnagh Castle is a fine school. Went there myself and can't fault it at all. I wouldn't have to think twice about sending my kids there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

thanks all, hadnt though of goldenbridge to be honest...miht check it out.....yeah i thought the castle was a good school alright kevski for sports anyway but just not so sure what craic is academically...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

When to the Castle, both secondary and primary good schools, Damiens is also a good school, you can't beat the auld gaeilscoileanna though, learning another language for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Assumption Walkinstown, if I remember correctly, for the first two years of primary school it's mixed and then the boys go to Drimnagh Castle and the girls stay at the Assumption.

Several members of my family went to Drimnagh Castle, both primary and secondary school, and I've never heard any complaints about it from them, they enjoyed their time there. It has a great reputation, if I had a child I wouldn't hesitate to send him to Drimnagh Castle. Mourne Road has a good name also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Just thought I would say that these days Drimnagh Castle seems to have quite a big problem with bullying.

Not sure if it is a big issue at primary level, but certainly at secondary level it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Thanks for input...danye isn't bullying an issue all over tho or is the castle especially bad?

ciaran_h wrote: »
    Thanks for input...danye isn't bullying an issue all over tho or is the castle especially bad?

Sorry for the late reply Ciaran,

Your right bullying is an issue of different levels in all schools unfortunetely.

But the castle seems to have a bigger problem than most. The men who I know have actually went to the school and their children are still being bullied!
    Its got to the stage where they are considering taking them from the school.

It does seem to be more of an issue in the secondary do..

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Danye wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply Ciaran,

Your right bullying is an issue of different levels in all schools unfortunetely.

But the castle seems to have a bigger problem than most. The men who I know have actually went to the school and their children are still being bullied!
    Its got to the stage where they are considering taking them from the school.

It does seem to be more of an issue in the secondary do..

If the men you know went to the castle themselves and sent their children there too, then they only have experience of that school. You'll come across bullying no matter what school you send your children too.

I finished in the castle three years ago having spent 6 years there. Naturally, I came across some bullying throughout the years but the students in question were dealt with accordingly each time. Obviously some cases do not come to the attention of teachers but I can't say that the number would have been outrageously large in comparison to other schools.

Since finishing school, I have been involved in a number of other primary and secondary schools. All of these schools have problems with bullying and the castle is no worse than any of them. Don't let one person's bad experience cloud your view of what is otherwise an excellent school (both for academics and sport).

• Advertisement

Kevski wrote: »
    If the men you know went to the castle themselves and sent their children there too, then they only have experience of that school. You'll come across bullying no matter what school you send your children too.

I finished in the castle three years ago having spent 6 years there. Naturally, I came across some bullying throughout the years but the students in question were dealt with accordingly each time. Obviously some cases do not come to the attention of teachers but I can't say that the number would have been outrageously large in comparison to other schools.

Since finishing school, I have been involved in a number of other primary and secondary schools. All of these schools have problems with bullying and the castle is no worse than any of them. Don't let one person's bad experience cloud your view of what is otherwise an excellent school (both for academics and sport).

I agree with ya, bullying is a problem in some way in nearly every school in the country I would say.

I live in the Dublin 12 area and would be familiar with all the schools the OP mentioned, I even went to one of them, I was just pointing out that I have heard of an awful lot more bullying in the castle than any of the others.

And it's not only one persons view that has clouded my judgemnt. Its sevaral peoples views.

Advertisement