Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skirting board under a stove.... a big NO NO

• 25-01-2011 6:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Just a bit of a heads up to anyone who has an inset stove fitted,but may also have skirting board fitted underneath.

Its a big NO NO.

The carpenter put skirting board along under my inset stove and didnt stop to think that this would be a fire hazzard.

It was only the good nature of a forum member here,who copped it in the pic and PM,ed me about it to inform me that this wasnt safe and would be deemed as a fire hazzard,and also with regards the insurance company.

So as of today and a big thanks to Miller Brothers Granite and Marble Supplies,in Rathnew,County Wicklow,its all sorted.

I gave them the measurements on Friday evening and they had this marble plinth cut and polished for me this morning,at a fantastic price too.

Cheapest out of 5 different marble places I got quotes from.

So heres the end result and also a safe fireplace now,not a fire hazzard any more.

But its just a heads up to anyone else who may have skirting board under their stove.;)

Remove it and get something that is not combustable instead.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

JUST wondering about your TV. Would it be ok to hang a TV there with no mantle piece to defect the heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

will need a mantle or your telly is gonna be in trouble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gsxr1 wrote: »
    JUST wondering about your TV. Would it be ok to hang a TV there with no mantle piece to defect the heat?

TV is not going there and wont ever be now.

The TV points and socket on the chimney breast were installed by the electrician,as the house was being renovated,but as time went by,I decided that the Inset Stove was and is its own focal point and feature of the house,and slapping a big TV up over it would ruin it.Wouldnt look nice.And also the TV would most likely fail after a short while due to the rising heat.

Ive 4 different TV and HDMI points in the living room alone.

Still getting a feel for the open plan and furniture placements.Also having the extra TV points around the room,means I can be versitile in the future if I decide to swap the furniture and aquariam layout around.

will need a mantle or your telly is gonna be in trouble

No TV and no mantle,I want to keep it nice and clean looking now.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

hi paddy how is your hearth supported underneath..can you stand on it? nice job again by the way...do my eyes deceive me or do those doors slide into the wall? oh an afterthought is the plaster safe from cracking too?

• Advertisement

pegasus1 wrote: »
    hi paddy how is your hearth supported underneath..can you stand on it? nice job again by the way...do my eyes deceive me or do those doors slide into the wall? oh an afterthought is the plaster safe from cracking too?

Thanks.

Hearth can indeed be stood on,as its embedded and fixed into a concrete sub floor,and the wooden floor is built up flush with the hearth.
    I wanted more floor space and less of a cluttered look,so I asked the builder if this look was possible and achieveable.I got my answer too.

The doors are recessed into the walls,and do indeed slide into and out of the walls,its a ball bearing tracking system that the doors are fixed to from above.

Again maximum floor space and less clutter and keeping it open plan was the reason for me asking for this,and if it could be done.

Oh and the plasterboard is fire proof plasterboard and high temp plaster.I made sure that it was before the plasterer slabed it up and began plastering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Excellent, really nice with the doors..

this way of doing the french doors between rooms should be way more common... and it looks like such an easy job..are ye listening ye auld irish builders!

oh a tip keep your fire glass clean as even with a slight film on it will retain the heat..oven cleaner on when its cold every so often does the job!

enjoy your new fire

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Excellent, really nice with the doors..

this way of doing the french doors between rooms should be way more common... and it looks like such an easy job..are ye listening ye auld irish builders!

oh a tip keep your fire glass clean as even with a slight film on it will retain the heat..oven cleaner on when its cold every so often does the job!

enjoy your new fire

Thanks,and thanks also for the tip about the fire glass and oven cleaner.

You learn something new every day.:D

Advertisement