Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get solphadeine

Options
  • 25-01-2011 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Anyone else feel like a drug addict when trying to buy solphadeine or nurofen plus?? 20 thousand questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

likewhine wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like a drug addict when trying to buy solphadeine or nurofen plus?? 20 thousand questions

Not really, just said what it was for, and they gave it to me, wanted two packs, they would only give one, said to call back in a few days for more if needed it, but never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

With good reason. Codeine is highly addictive and potent. It is a strong opiate and needed to be controlled better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I was buying calpol for child & paracetemol for myself and couldn't believe the grilling I got in a packed Boots - WTF - it was obvious I was fluey and calpol was for under-6 yr old.

Very embarrassing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dublinvillian

just buy them up the north , no questions asked :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd lol at them and go elsewhere if need be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 likewhine

1966 wrote: »
    I was buying calpol for child & paracetemol for myself and couldn't believe the grilling I got in a packed Boots - WTF - it was obvious I was fluey and calpol was for under-6 yr old.

Very embarrassing !!

Thats exactly what happened to me id a desperate migraine was almost crying and the guy in boots would only sell me the soluble paracetemol mortifying!! Went to annother pharmacy locally no questions asked........ They're either over - the - counter or they're not......

Thats exactly what happened to me id a desperate migraine was almost crying and the guy in boots would only sell me the soluble paracetemol mortifying!! Went to annother pharmacy locally no questions asked........ They're either over - the - counter or they're not......
    There's no real reason why you couldn't treat a migraine with ibuprofen or paracetamol with caffeine to vasoconstrict. You shouldn't need Codeine for migraine, it's not really useful for it tbh - this is the reason it needed to be restricted. Too many people just taking it when it was unnecessary.

Interestingly enough as well, the American Academy of Neurology has gone even further in saying that treating migraine episodes with opioids or barbituates as few as eight times a month doubles the risk of developing chronic migraine.
    Overuse of Codeine, Oxycodone and Barbiturates Increases Risk of Chronic Migraine

People who overuse barbiturates and opioids, such as codeine, butalbital, and oxycodone, to treat migraine are at an increased risk of developing chronic migraine, according to research that will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology 60th Anniversary Annual Meeting in Chicago, April 12–19, 2008. People with chronic migraine have headaches on 15 or more days a month.

For the study, 24,000 people with headaches in the United States were surveyed about the types of medications they use to treat their headaches. From this sample of people with headache, the researchers selected those who had been diagnosed in 2005 with episodic migraine (fewer than 15 days of headache per month). Their risk of chronic migraine was then calculated based on the types of medications they used in 2005. Among those with episodic migraine in 2005, 209 people had developed chronic migraine in 2006.

The study found people who took drugs containing barbiturates or opioids for only eight days a month were twice as likely to develop chronic migraine a year later as those who didn’t take such drugs. [emphasis mine]

“People who use drugs that contain barbiturates and opioids, if only for a total of seven to eight days a month, appear to significantly increase their risk of migraine progression,” said study author Marcelo Bigal, MD, PhD, with Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, New York. “Strict limits for these types of drugs should be enforced among people with migraine as a way of preventing their migraines from becoming more frequent and more painful.”

The study found no evidence that the risk of developing chronic migraine increased among people who frequently used triptans, which are commonly prescribed drugs to treat migraine, or non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

They're either over - the - counter or they're not......

The exact point I was gonna make. If they want to restrict is make it prescription. I tried to get some not so long ago and hadn't known about this directive (Not sure if this is the right way to describe it). I was actually taken a back by the level of interrogation. Left the pharmacy feeling as if I had done something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Went to a local pharmacy on sat for pack of Syndol for period pains - have tried plain paracetmol, doesnt work, cannot take ibuprofen, upsets my stomach.

Asked for Syndol, counter girl goes behind to pharmacy section, consults with pharmacist, shouts back to me - IS IT FOR A HEADACHE? I have to shout back to her, NO -ITS FOR PERIOD PAIN - in front of other customers. She comes back, pharmacist hasnt even looked out at me, certainly no consultation with me, counter girl says nothing about codeine etc.. and says - we only have 10s, 3.80 please. I hesitate and say - eh, its under 6 euro for 20, but its 3.80 for 10? She says - oh i see, its 20 you want is it? So Im already mildly embarrassed at having to shout about my period pains, and I want the medicine so I just say its ok, buy them and leave feeling ripped off on top of embarrassed.

I just dont get it, everywhere seems to have different policies, Ive not yet been consulted privately, Ive been refused outright in Boots, Ive been asked different questions in different places, and I strongly suspect a conspiracy of using the new rules to sell smaller amounts at higher mark-up.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I got Neurofen Plus without problems, as I was dying with a tooth-ache. The chemist told me, I was not supposed to take them longer than 6 days. I guess the same applies to any tablets containing Diclofenac

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

how is this a dublin issue ?

on another note, is anyone else sick to death of codeine addicts begging you to go to the chemist for them because have been cut off :mad::mad::mad:

what did we all do a few years ago before we had them ? oh yeah thats right, got on it with it

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I got Neurofen Plus without problems, as I was dying with a tooth-ache. The chemist told me, I was not supposed to take them longer than 6 days. I guess the same applies to any tablets containing Diclofenac
    lol because opiates are directly effective for tooth-ache type pains.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

As already mentioned, just buy them in the North or on-line from the UK hassle free and cheaper!

Irish chemists must doing very well to treat their customers like this!
    Solpadeine have being on sale in Ireland for nearly 30 years before this directive (not law) came in, abused by a few yes, but a lifesaver for thousands without any problems.
    Nanny state or what!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wickerman1 wrote: »
    As already mentioned, just buy them in the North or on-line from the UK hassle free and cheaper!

Irish chemists must doing very well to treat their customers like this!
    Solpadeine have being on sale in Ireland for nearly 30 years before this directive (not law) came in, abused by a few yes, but a lifesaver for thousands without any problems.
    Nanny state or what!:mad:

As I said before, this is more down to the Pharmacists wanting to limit their legal exposure when someone rings the Joe Duffy Show stating that their son died of renal failure due to OTC analgesic abuse.

Solpadeine and the like have been major cash-cows for them for years. Their profit margins are such that they can even afford to lose this profit line and not be too severely effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

OisinT wrote: »
    lol because opiates are directly effective for tooth-ache type pains.

Fair play to the opiates :D

Honestly, I had some problems with my knee last year, it was an infection coming from a tiny crack in the cartilage. When the course of Diclofenac was finished, I took Neurofen Plus. For some reason, the pain was kind of gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I think it depends on which chemist you go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

I was fairly outraged when the pharmacist refused to sell me solphadeine the other day, I tried telling him over and over again that I had really bad period pains and that panadol wasn't working.

Maybe it would have worked if I weren't a bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    I was fairly outraged when the pharmacist refused to sell me solphadeine the other day, I tried telling him over and over again that I had really bad period pains and that panadol wasn't working.

Apparently Solphadeine is more addictive for women, my OH gets sophadeine much easier than I do.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »

That's sexisism for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'm a pharmacist and I have no issue giving codeine products to people that need them. A thousand questions? Ya ya, at the most it would be 3 or 4. I usually ask them is it for themselves and are they aware it has codeine in it and are they aware what codeine is.

If they say ya then i just ask them to use it for a maximum of 3 days. Takes about 20 seconds. It's threads like this are pretty unfair tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've had a few bastard pharmacists really milk it when I was in pain, most are ok but some are pricks.

I went in and asked for feminax and he asked what was it for. I felt like saying "Fcuking ball pain, what do you think?" but I went along with it and he then decided to offer me half the bleedin pharmacy as an alternative. I know what works for me, I do not exceed any stated doses and does anyone think that the law is really going to stop codeine addicts? They'll just go to other pharmacies/get other people to buy them.

Also fed up with holier than thou posters on Boards looking down on people who take solpadene or neurofen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

OisinT wrote: »
    With good reason. Codeine is highly addictive and potent. It is a strong opiate and needed to be controlled better IMO.

I hate the hassle when trying to buy solphadeine.
    Nicotine is also highly addictive with serious health implications, even passively for non smokers but it's very easy to buy cigarettes everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

er, not a Dublin issue at all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement