Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How should Sky improve their football coverage?

• 25-01-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭

Imagine you've been appointed head of production at Sky Sports, with a remit to revamp The football coverage in the wake of Sexismgate. What would you do, keeping in mind Sky's obligations to sponsors and the idiot masses?

Me? Out with Keys and the rotating list of ex-players (Eidur Gudjonsen, Dion Dublin, etc...) and in with a never-changing line-up to build a rapport with the audience. Jeff Stelling as anchorman, with a crank like Souness or Strachan to provide a bit of tactical analysis, but mostly to get the blood boiling. Stick in a charismatic ex-player with an excellent record (McManaman?). Chris Kamara pitch-side for pre- and post-match interviews. Martin Taylor and Jim Beglin in the commentary box? Nothing too offensive there, but an improvement on the current lot.

Maybe a bit more opinionated MNF with James Richardson, Marcotti etc would also work.

Jamie could be relegated to Soccer AM or some other crap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

SKY is a PC channel in that they don't want to offend and lose subscriptions. So if you put people like say Dunphy and Giles on SKY. People will just complain about the slagging off of their team and players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

KeithAFC wrote: »
    SKY is a PC channel in that they don't want to offend and lose subscriptions. So if you put people like say Dunphy and Giles on SKY. People will just complain about the slagging off of their team and players.
    All British Tv is gone too Pc IMO.
    I'd sack Redknapp and get someone with their own opinion who doesn't suck up to the guests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

So if you put people like say Dunphy and Giles on SKY. People will just complain about the slagging off of their team and players.

I complain about them two all the time, it's not the slagging off, it's the uninformed slagging off.

Its entertaining. If you watch football coverage to get your facts or to learn something, just stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sky do a lot of things very well to give them their due.. their in-match coverage is top class, with cameras everywhere giving multiple angles of every incident.

At the end of the day they have a 24 hour sports news channel that needs plenty access to clubs to fill air-time. Any overboard criticism of players/managers could result in a Fergie/BBC type situation which would affect the ouput on SSN. Sky are not going to rock the boat by introducing straight-talking pundits who will tell it like it is and in the process p*ss off loads of people in the game.

The FA switched the England international coverage from BBC to ITV partly in response to criticism from the BBC panel.. Sky will not allow something like that to happen them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Wonder if the moralistic Sky Sports would lower themselves to have soccerettes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bring back Andy Gray.

I'm a big fan of Sam Allardyce but he was boring as hell last night and so are most of the others that do the color commentary. Gray is really good at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

There are very few pundits anywhere that are in the same league as Dunphy and Giles. At least they'll tell you what they think. Obviously they wouldn't suit Sky because of that.

Sky should try to get Souness on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Its entertaining. If you watch football coverage to get your facts or to learn something, just stop.

It's good a laugh sometimes, in small doses, but - for me - it's got a little tedious, I actually would like to learn something new watching football analysis, is that so strange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Dunphy, Giles, Souness presented by Redknapp to keep things on the football and off Souness credentials.
    Think that'd be class

• Advertisement

smokedeels wrote: »
    It's good a laugh sometimes, in small doses, but - for me - it's got a little tedious, I actually would like to learn something new watching football analysis, is that so strange?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Dunphy and Giles are just horrible pundits. Whatever about the Sky pundits but Dunphy is just there cause he causes a stir and Giles is too old school and shouldnt be near TV anymore. Both are horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Robbie Savage seems to be getting more work, 606, ESPN and I heard him commentate on Cardiff V Swansea on BBC. Would tick the charismatic box anyway. I find him interesting to listen to as he speaks his mind and has played against the majority of current Premiership players, therefore has a good insight on their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't mind the way they alternate presenters because I think with the amount of football they have it would be overkill to see the same people all the time.

I would like to see Keys replaced. As for Gray, as I said in the other thread I'd be fine with Alan Smith taking over. I think Didi Hamann should be on TV more as I like his analysis when he's on. I also don't mind Souness. If there was less of Redknapp the station would look pretty promising all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Clarke Carlisle should get more air time and not just because he was on Question Time. Always thought he was good the few times he was on. Didi Hamann as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Getting rid of Andy Gray was the best thing they ever did. He was getting too big for his boots. They should sling out the jumped up breakfast tv presenter Keys now. He will be useless without Gray. He knows nothing about football. Get in another duo who will be impartial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What about topless female pundits?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

And would Dunphy and Giles give the same kind of Punditry on sky anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Martin Taylor and Jim Beglin in the commentary box? Nothing too offensive there, but an improvement on the current lot.
    Who is Martin Taylor?

Aidric wrote: »
    Who is Martin Taylor?
    I presume the poster meant Martin Tyler????

• Advertisement

Richard Keys in more trouble?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvsaG3b9uVY

Its an old one but it will get dragged up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jeff Stelling
    Souness-Hamann-Redknapp

That'd be my preffered formation, Redknapp is never gonna be sacked unless he does something stupid.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Jeff Stelling
    Souness-Hamann-Redknapp

That'd be my preffered formation, Redknapp is never gonna be sacked unless he does something stupid.

I like listening to Souness myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How should Sky improve their football coverage?

Not have Redknapp on.

That'd be a huge start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not have Redknapp on.

That'd be a huge start.

I hope he does get caught out for doing something like Gray and Keys.

homolumo wrote: »
    Clarke Carlisle should get more air time and not just because he was on Question Time. Always thought he was good the few times he was on. Didi Hamann as well.
    Top bloke. Been through the mill and come out the other side.
    Great with kids too. Really top bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not have Redknapp on.

That'd be a huge start.

Idd, he drives me mental.
    Gets asked a question...answers it somewhat...but then turns to the other panelists and asks them a different question..which isn't his job !!

And add to that for improvements, easy, Get Dunphy, Giles and Brady as permanent panelists on it !....no Bill needed

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Gets asked a question...answers it somewhat...but then turns to the other panelists and asks them a different question..which isn't his job !!

And add to that for improvements, easy, Get Dunphy, Giles and Brady as permanent panelists on it !....no Bill needed
    Someone should tell him what the word 'literally' means as well. They literally should

SeantheMan wrote: »

Maybe get Dixon, Keown and Shearer to replace them for all rte's football coverage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If I was boss:

I would get rid of Keys......apart from all the scandals, just too smug for me!

Tell Martin Tyler to stop screaming 'It's Liiiive!' before every game!

Sack Jamie Redknapp as I find his tight gonad hugging suits and narrow ties offensive.

Stop that 'whoosh' noise with every screen flash that comes up on screen.

Think Jeff Stelling would be best presenter as he is enthusiastic, funny, genuine football fan and seems to know his stuff.

Do not replace Andy Gray with one person but have rotating co-commentators on Sundays so that they all get a go at Andy's touchscreen on Last Word and keep show fresh.

Have interviews with refs after games....would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

baz2009 wrote: »
    Jeff Stelling
    Souness-Hamann-Redknapp

It drives me mental when people stick up some stupid formations like that.

Jeff Stelling

Hamann - Souness - Redknapp

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really like Souness. Actually understands football (unlike Dunphy or Giles), but still has interesting opinions.

I wonder if they'll poach from BBC. I really like Linekar personally as a host. Think he's nice and genuine and somewhat funny. Would be a clear step up for him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PHB wrote: »
    I really like Souness. Actually understands football (unlike Dunphy or Giles), but still has interesting opinions.

I wonder if they'll poach from BBC. I really like Linekar personally as a host. Think he's nice and genuine and somewhat funny. Would be a clear step up for him too.

I can't stand Lineker,......too banal and full of puns......TBH himself and bland BBC team have made me stop watching MOTD.

His perma-tan is annoying too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Few things i would like:

Have a knowledgeable and likable presenter.

James Richardson would be fantastic, but looking in house the guy who does Ravista De La Liga would be a good choice.

After that I would bring in pundits, especially for CL games, such as Sid Lowe - people who analyze and write about the game for a living - would probably provide more insight, the footballers they have on talk in cliches all too often.

I would love if their football coverage mirrored the cricket coverage. Watching the ashes when it was on, and the coverage was fantastic - properly analyzed the game and pointed out things you couldn't simply see on the screen. Offered actual insight.

PHB wrote: »

Lineker used to be good, I think a move away from Hansen, Lawro and Shearer might be a good move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i see robbie savage on espn..
    lol he ****in hates refs
    he would be a good adittion to sky
    he's like a younger version of dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sid Lowe is a genious
    the guy is the best pundit ive seen
    everything he says is right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Imagine you've been appointed head of production at Sky Sports, with a remit to revamp The football coverage in the wake of Sexismgate. What would you do, keeping in mind Sky's obligations to sponsors and the idiot masses?

Me? Out with Keys and the rotating list of ex-players (Eidur Gudjonsen, Dion Dublin, etc...) and in with a never-changing line-up to build a rapport with the audience. Jeff Stelling as anchorman, with a crank like Souness or Strachan to provide a bit of tactical analysis, but mostly to get the blood boiling. Stick in a charismatic ex-player with an excellent record (McManaman?). Chris Kamara pitch-side for pre- and post-match interviews. Martin Taylor and Jim Beglin in the commentary box? Nothing too offensive there, but an improvement on the current lot.

Maybe a bit more opinionated MNF with James Richardson, Marcotti etc would also work.

Jamie could be relegated to Soccer AM or some other crap.

an all wimmins soccercasting...:p

I just downloaded the FIFA 2011 commentary patch, not much of a difference but when my missus went on it, gray shouted at her ' get off the controller and back in the kitchen!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

murpho999 wrote: »
    Tell Martin Tyler to stop screaming 'It's Liiiive!' before every game!

Stop that 'whoosh' noise with every screen flash that comes up on screen.
    They're the best parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

James Richardson, Hamann, Marcotti and Stelling.

Great line-up. How Richardson isn't on TV any more and monkey hands is, is criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Show more hot women, seriously it obviously works on sky sports news. So train up hot women and let them do the entire broadcast but for the commentators have them wearing say.... a bikini and show up on the bottom of the screen like dude who does sign language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Le King wrote: »
    How Richardson isn't on TV any more and monkey hands is, is criminal.

Jimbo is on BBC South-West!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ralf Honegstien, Danny Mills, Graeme Souness, Ron Manager, Jonathon Wilson

Is it weird that I watch sky sports news for transfer gossip and Jeff stelling and not the women because I never actually notice them.
    Souness and Hamamn would be class I thought Denis Irwin did a pretty good job over the summer to but that'd be a very unlikely appointment.

Is it weird that I watch sky sports news for transfer gossip and Jeff stelling and not the women because I never actually notice them.

No.

If you're a woman.

No.

If you're a woman.
    I'm not :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I'm not :eek:

Then yes, it is weird lol

Please get yourself checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

The best way they could improve it is if they stopped dumbing down the match coverage so much, i can't see them changing many staff or many new faces coming in but they really need to stop talking to us like we know nothing, i've got so sick of there match coverage the last year i now only watch the game and switch off when the panel start talking, same goes for rte tbh.

On the panel i would now have Jeff as the main man and have Souness, Yorke and Redknapp, I'm not a fan of Jamies at all but he will be there literally for a long long time. I'm a big fan of Yorke and Souness too, i think they have a lot to offer.

MOG7 wrote: »
    The best way they could improve it is if they stopped dumbing down the match coverage so much, i can't see them changing many staff or many new faces coming in but they really need to stop talking to us like we know nothing, i've got so sick of there match coverage the last year i now only watch the game and switch off when the panel start talking, same goes for rte tbh.

Pre-Sky, there was very little time given to panelists-mainly just the half time interval minus ads.

Then Sky came along and needed to expand their market and get non-football people into football. Older fans will remember football being quite a minority thing years ago, but once the Premiership and all its overhype came along everyone "had" a team.

Therefore Sky had to dumb down its coverage to avoid alienating its new consumer base.

Hence the likes of....
    n5686467119_2344.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Get in James Richardson! It's odd that Sky can get their lineup so right for Soccer Saturday but bar Souness, get it so wrong on match nights. Januscz Michailik and Gabriele Marcotti are both excellent on ESPN Press Pass but I'd say they might be tied up exclusively for ESPN. Also, Roy Keane is out of work...

• Advertisement
Advertisement