Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How should Sky improve their football coverage?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sky's replacement for Andy Gray
    Politically correct,friendly,nice to women and children ,wont be critical of players and knows sweet fa about football.Ideal
    He is good looking too...
    medium_barney.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

More of Paul Merson and his cockney slang....

Nahhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Richard Keys coming up on Talksport live in a few minutes to give his side of the story. Channel 0108 on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

lads, ben shepherd was brought to sky clearer with the long term view he'd take over from keys. similar background to keys as well.

im all on for ac jimbo taking over but dont think he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I really like Graeme Souness on RTÉ. He'd be my first choice to replace Gray as the "main" analyst (of realistic choices, anyways), but I doubt he would have the same freedom to talk openly on Sky as he does on RTÉ.

Big Sam, seeing as he is a "current" manager, having him doing the commentary on the Bolton - Chelsea game was decent. He could potentially give a bit more insight than other choices.

I hate listening to Jamie Redknapp, Steve McManaman & Robbie Savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

richard keyes live on Talksport now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'd love them to get rid of the ridiculous starting line up sequences they have... where the players appear from a flash and walk towards the screen like gods.

Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

richard keyes live on Talksport now.

twitter is blowing up about it- cringe worthy apparantly and not much of an apology, more shifting blame and pointing fingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

How James Richardson doesn't have a regular job on one of the high profile stations in England is beyond me. He's superb. Too good for Sky tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

twitter is blowing up about it- cringe worthy apparantly and not much of an apology, more shifting blame and pointing fingers

Yeah exactly. He is basically saying he shouldn't have said it and sorry but it is just 'banter'.

He is also talking about dark forces and saying that West Ham and Karen Brady benefited from this because it took them off the front pages over the martin o'neill approach. Also dissed Rio and said that his info is that the same banter goes on in the man utd dressingroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

A Tweet on the Guardians page said
    If Keys doesn't stop digging soon he'll be able to front Sky's coverage of the fifth ODI between England and Australia

I can see this being the end of Keys. Hopefully there is a shakeup and they get in people who are willing to offer their own opinion and not pander to the opinion that the public. I don't care if I don't agree with them, that's what makes Dunphy and co. so great, they are able to generate a discussion through their analysis. Sky on the other hand were sickening in how banal they were in their analysis and how everything was brilliant. Let's hope for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Was that a dig at Ferdinand, helping out a professional footballer with family problems?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

K-9 wrote: »
    Was that a dig at Ferdinand, helping out a professional footballer with family problems?

Most likely.
    I can see Ferdinand getting sued down the line for comments made on twitter ,he opens his ignorant opinionated trap too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Sky Executives should roll Jamie Redknapp up in a carpet and throw him off a bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Hazys wrote: »
    The Sky Executives should roll Jamie Redknapp up in a carpet and throw him off a bridge.

I'd be happy if they just put a large prop in front of his crotch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'd like an option where you can watch the match with no commentary at all, I think it distracts from the atmosphere of a match. It's probably already available on digital.

Also, they need to scale down the whole bravado of their Super Sunday coverage. It's turning the EPL into WWF or Gladiators, way too over-the-top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Most likely.
    I can see Ferdinand getting sued down the line for comments made on twitter ,he opens his ignorant opinionated trap too often.

Unfortunately for your bitter self, I actually don't see that happening.

He never says anything of any note and pretty much stays away from anything controversial. Talks about two-footed tackling his kids, the tunes the request on the way to school and how he 'battered' Robbie Savage on twitter.

Haven't seen him even touch on topics that could have any cause to see him sued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I agree with a previous poster about Gary Lineker, i think he would be great. I think its Ben Shepards gig though with Sarah Jane Mee potentially getting some side gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Imagine you've been appointed head of production at Sky Sports, with a remit to revamp The football coverage in the wake of Sexismgate. What would you do, keeping in mind Sky's obligations to sponsors and the idiot masses?

Me? Out with Keys and the rotating list of ex-players (Eidur Gudjonsen, Dion Dublin, etc...) and in with a never-changing line-up to build a rapport with the audience. Jeff Stelling as anchorman, with a crank like Souness or Strachan to provide a bit of tactical analysis, but mostly to get the blood boiling. Stick in a charismatic ex-player with an excellent record (McManaman?). Chris Kamara pitch-side for pre- and post-match interviews. Martin Taylor and Jim Beglin in the commentary box? Nothing too offensive there, but an improvement on the current lot.

Maybe a bit more opinionated MNF with James Richardson, Marcotti etc would also work.

Jamie could be relegated to Soccer AM or some other crap.

Sack Jamie Redknapp for being a twonker.

Sack Geoff Shreeve for annoying me consistently over the last several seasons.

Get someone in who will say a match is brutal when it's brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Predalien wrote: »

Of an even bigger crotch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

James-Richardson-001.jpg

This man. I can dream of them getting Barry from football weekly, but Richardson is a more realistic prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Robbie Savage is great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Robbie Savage is great

Seconded. Around the time Chris Hughton was sacked, Robbie took to twitter opining that the fiasco showed Newcastle wasn't a proper 'big club'. A BBC reporter took him to task - "how can you not be a big club when you get 40,000 to 50,000 people every home game," he says. "Well, what else is there to do in Newcastle?" comes Robbie's reply. He's just a brilliant troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Predalien wrote: »

Large?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sky's replacement for Andy Gray
    Politically correct,friendly,nice to women and children ,wont be critical of players and knows sweet fa about football.Ideal
    He is good looking too...
    medium_barney.jpg

But he wears Shamrock Rovers away kit constantly. :(

Advertisement