Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Applied Maths a Necessity For Engineering?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hoping to do mechanical engineering but I may do something in the electrical end of things depending on how I get on. Now I have heard that the subjects for Engineering would be maths, physics and applied maths. I do maths and physics and I don't find them too difficult but my school does not offer applied maths as a main subject and I don't have the time or money to get more grinds so it is basically out of the question for me to do it. Would this put me at much of a disadvantage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Based on the syllabus, I'd say it would be very helpful for Mechanical, less so for Electrical, but not strictly necessary in either case, since you'll be taught the bits you need. If you're doing well in HC Maths, I'd say that would be sufficient.

(Disclaimer: I did Structural Engineering w/ Architecture at UCD, but I went to school a long time ago in a land far, far away, so I'm going by the published syllabus.)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

In a word no.

It will be mildly handy for first year physics and mechanics but if your in any way mathsy you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

You'll be completely fine without it. It does form the basis for one of your second semester subjects in first year, but far from necessary.

That said, if you have done physics, chemistry applied maths and maths all honours, You will breeze through first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Most people didn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

no you dont, i didn't have it or physics and i was fine, you might have to work a bit harder in first year, but you should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

One of my housemates is in 3rd year, doing Mechanical Engineering and she didn't do Applied Maths, and is still loving the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm second year elec. Loads of people didn't do applied maths.

Once you get the required C3 in higher maths you'll be more than capable.

I came in with a miserable pass in lower leaving cert and some basics from an access course and so far i've muddled through it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

It's a long time since I did my Leaving Cert but I recall that doing the holy triumvirate of Higher Maths, Physics and Applied Maths not only impressed the girls no end but also reduced my workload.

There is any overlap in the concepts and they do complement one another.

I am not saying it's easy. It isn't but if you are already comfortable with Higher Maths and Physics and have engineering aspirations, I would say you will have no trouble with Applied Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Alright thanks for the answers lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

As everyone else has said, Applied Maths is in no way required for engineering; however, I myself am in 2nd Year Elec Engineering and so far have used every single thing I learned in applied maths in college so far. I can think of 4 or 5 modules off hand, which I have done where it has been of some use. So yeah, while it's not required, it is ridiculously helpful.
    Although, having said all that, they did just change the engineering course from this year, so I understand that this year's first years are doing some different subjects to us. I think this means that they are doing less things that applied maths would help with...
    So yeah, if you're grand with maths and physics, I wouldn't put yourself too out of your way to do applied maths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement