Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spirit radio a christian station?

• 25-01-2011 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Sounds like another "middle of the road" music station to me, it will even have the one token irish language program early on sunday morning like every other station.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Is it started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It is testing on the Xmas FM frequency. Just basically playing middle of the road tunes with no presenters yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Kunle wrote: »
    Sounds like another "middle of the road" music station to me

It's amazing how you can come to that conclusion based solely on their test transmissions.

Aside, according to their web site, they're launching tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Kunle, it's not an Irish language station. It's a Christian station with a Christian ethos playing mostly Christian music. R na G and radio na Life are Irish language stations. Neither have English language shows that I am aware of and neither should they have.

TRSJ wrote: »
    Kunle, it's not an Irish language station. It's a Christian station with a Christian ethos playing mostly Christian music. R na G and radio na Life are Irish language stations. Neither have English language shows that I am aware of and neither should they have.

It doesn't have to be an Irish language station to have or be required to have Irish language programming. The BAI do impose a certain minimum requirement of Irish language content on some stations (just as they do with news & current affairs) - so it may well be in their license and it wouldn't surprise me to hear an Irish language show on the station (at some stage).

It's because of such BAI requirements that you hear shows such as "Ar Éileamh" and "IRL" on i102-104 and i105-107 - which are presented through a mix of Irish and English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

An no better man than TRSJ to know what is in his licence terms and conditions.

Best of luck with the launch head.

Apologies - forgot that TRSJ was involved with the station. All the best with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

A few years ago a member of the board that decides radio licences said "hell will freeze over before i let a Christian Radio Station in Ireland",well it has been cold lately;).Alot of prayer,time and effort has made today possible,well done to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Oh no. Out of range to pick up the frequency at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Listen live on www.spiritradio.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Oh no. Out of range to pick up the frequency at home.

It will be available nationwide by next year on the AM frequency.Until then the internet link provided above by that kind soul in the post above will be good help for you:).

Aiel wrote: »
    It will be available nationwide by next year on the AM frequency.Until then the internet link provided above by that kind soul in the post above will be good help for you:).

Are they going to be using 567, 612 or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Aiel wrote: »
    Substitute "may" for "will". It all depends on whether they can raise the dosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Hopefully it will be a complete failure and be forced off air due to lack of funds. A complete waste of valuable fm frequencies.

thejuggler wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be a complete failure and be forced off air due to lack of funds. A complete waste of valuable fm frequencies.

What a completely ridiculous thing to say. It's a station whose sole modus operandi is to provide an uplifting sound to us all and you're wishing for it to fail. You're wishing for a number of creative and talented people to lose their jobs... and you give no good reason other than the fact that they're using up space on the FM band. Ridiculous.

Religious/spiritual radio stations have as much of a right to exist as any others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

I for one am enjoying it at the moment. slanting on the rocky side which is nice.

Karsini wrote: »
    Are they going to be using 567, 612 or something else?

AFAIK

612 from Athlone
    549 from Lifford
    675 from Macroom

612 is the old 2Fm Continental Electronics TX in Athlone which I would say would be the first as it is high power.

image041.jpg

Photo taken from Andy Lintons/Total Broadcast's RTE site visit

STB wrote: »
    AFAIK

612 is the old 2Fm Continental Electronics TX in Athlone which I would say would be the first as it is high power.
    That's not the proposed site for 612.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    That's not the proposed site for 612.

Oh yeah ? What site did I mention ? I mentioned a transmitter. Not that it matters a damn because RTE wont let that TX go far.

Oh yeah ? What site did I mention ? I mentioned a transmitter. Not that it matters a damn because RTE wont let that TX go far.
    Do i really need to quote you again? :confused:

This is just stupid.

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Do i really need to quote you again? :confused:

This is just stupid.

Quote me again ?

Sorry you have lost me completely Fuzzy.

[

You claim you did not mention a site, yet you did. You mentioned the 2FM site. You also state, as underlined, that you think it will be first as it is high power.

Since Spirit will not be using the old 2FM site, that sentence is wrong.

What's so difficult to understand?

Do you know what TX stands for ? I mentioned the old 2fm AM transmitter (TX) which is based in Athlone. Yes the transmission site also exists in the same place the transmitter is.

I didn't mention what site they would be using.

You seem to think it will be outside the RTE NL site at Athlone.

Perhaps you think it will be in Tullamore, or perhaps you read that they would move 2 50kw TXs down the road as mentioned in Spirits licence application submitted many years ago. They have 18 months to get the AM on, lets see how that goes first.

If you find any of that difficult to understand, I'll fill in the gaps for you. I dont talk in riddles! I also suggest you develop some manners.

Do you know what TX stands for ? Yes. after nearly 30 years working with, installing and repairing them, i've a fairly good idea. But thanks for asking:rolleyes:. I mentioned the old 2fm AM transmitter (TX) which is based in Athlone. Yes the transmission site also exists in the same place the transmitter is.It would be a bit odd if the transmitter wasn't at the transmitter site, wouldn't it?

I didn't mention what site they would be using.Yes you did. You stated that the old 2FM TX (transmitter) at Athlone would be the first one on(yawn)

You seem to think it will be outside the RTE NL site at Athlone.Correct Unless they've altered their plans. If you know different, just say so.

Perhaps you think it will be in Tullamore,WTF, I never said anything of the sort. or perhaps you read that they would move 2 50kw TXs down the road as mentioned in Spirits licence application submitted many years ago.I never read that. They have 18 months to get the AM on, lets see how that goes first.Indeed, lets see.

If you find any of that difficult to understand, I'll fill in the gaps for you.Please do I dont talk in riddles! I also suggest you develop some manners.When you develop a less patronising manner.

I'm not sure why you're so childish over this. You made a statement that the 612 is the old 2FM Tx at Athlone and then deny it. Make up your mind,

If you have worked in the industry for the last 30 years then you have 6 years on me and we no doubt have crossed paths. :eek:

I would have thought that it would be easier to use the existing ATU and Towers at Athlone than moving it to Ballynahown and sticking up 400ft towers.

It all about one thing, cash and lots of it when it comes to high powered AM.

Childish, me ? Stop you nearly made me blush. Swish...

I would assume that the transmitters used will not be the old RTE ones. I may be wrong but thats what I believe to be the case.
    Regardless of the site utilised, modern TXs would be the logical way. God alone knows what condition the earth system is like in Moydrum after all these years anyway.
    Only one tower would be required at Ballynahown.

Your right about the cash which is why i suspect it may never happen.

Yes, If i read correctly, I believe we have crossed paths......

Advertisement