Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Steel Aquisitions

Options
  • 25-01-2011 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Blue Steel Acquisitions sales company on the Grande Parade, Cork. They were running job applications on jobs.ie, I applied last week and got a call for an interview tomorrow. I heard some dodgy stuff about these type of commission sales so any information would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kol1965

Hey,
    They are a Mass sales/marketing Company.
    Their main product is Airtricity" they may have branched out into other "Utility" products in the recent weeks, but I don't think so.
    I believe the job is "Commission only"
    They are pumping out young guys and girls onto Cork streets and subarbs on a daily basis to knock on doors and become very pushy sales people.

I also believe that most people who start with them last about a week or two and get fed up of the knock backs from people who get approached weekly from Sales reps and are fed up of listening to the sales spiel.

billiezero wrote: »
    hey just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Blue Steel Acquisitions sales company on the Grande Parade, Cork. They were running job applications on jobs.ie, I applied last week and got a call for an interview tomorrow. I heard some dodgy stuff about these type of commission sales so any information would be great

I got the best sales training I ever had in one of these types of companies. Door to door sales will also make you tough as nails. Might well be worth 2 weeks+ of your life as it will stand to you for a long time.

Smile, Eye Contact, Enthusiasm!

Introduction, Presentation, Short Story, Close, Rehash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Be wary of anything trying to be taken seriously that's called "Blue Steel" ....

zoolander.jpg

Sounds like they're taking the piss to me.

And if it's a door to door sale company, run... run as quickly as your little legs will carry you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 frecklesgalore

You will work ridiculous hours. Trust me. From someone who made the mistake of being sucked in for six months with these guys. Everything they tell you is BS. If you want to build real skills for your future, then find a real job. Going door to door or working on events is soul destroying - trust me!

Your family will even tell you when you come home from the interview. You'll be invited for an 'observation day', round 2 of the interview. During this time they will try to fear of loss you - making you believe that there is a real opportunity in a pyramid scheme that wouldn't know honesty if it hit it in the face.

The organisation is based on an American framework which has some benefits to building and educating a person. It also enables one to learn valuable lessons in how consumers are so easily manipulated and coeresed into impulse buying.

Ask yourself this: Do I want to work twelve hour days - six of which will be going door to door, in all sorts of weather, in all sorts of light, taking both positive and negatives to beat the band in order to end up with what at the end of the week? There's no guarentee that you'll make your seven sales a day, or whatever the Law of Averages is for the particular product or service that you will be pushing on people. Do you want that uncertainty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

I got the best sales training I ever had in one of these types of companies. Door to door sales will also make you tough as nails. Might well be worth 2 weeks+ of your life as it will stand to you for a long time.

Handy experience if you aim to become a fianna fail candidate anytime in the next decade

• Advertisement

R3al wrote: »
    Handy experience if you aim to become a fianna fail candidate anytime in the next decade

FACT! The time it takes a person to rebuild after the experience can be months. I remember talking people into not quitting. "Remember your step 7 - why are you here and what are you doing this for?" Now I know I really had the blinkers on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nyallo86

I have actually worked for Blue Steel Acquisitions. Really wonder was I mentally unstable taking that job. Was interviewed by a man who seemed really nice and it sounded so much fun I thought I would be daft not to try.
    The reality was gruelling long hours with no benefit. Would not advise it to anyone. Very few seem to be able to stick at it, the sign is on that they are constantly recruiting.

You've seen the light - that is the main thing.

Well with the announcement on national radio today that one of the major energy companies is about to increase it's rates I can't imagine how these marketing companies will survive. I'm aware that they have other clients, but this was certainly their biggest and most lucrative to date. Clearly all 'good things must come to an end.'

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

A friend of mine has been told to go for an interview for a managerial job in the office, is this their method of recruiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hitsugaya252

Actually i received a call from there regarding managerial post or something. so basically, what work will i be doing? is it door to door?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 barryc34

I also went for an interview,same talk about taking over the world.If you have a thick skin and can afford no wage for 6 months you just might get somewhere.Thought it sounded like a pyramid scheme to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hitsugaya252

LauraFoXX wrote: »
    My advice - stay away from them! I went for an interview with them and they told me I would be running the world within a few months if I accepted a job with them. They said it was managerial yet they told me the hours would vary and that I could be working til 9pm every evening. I smelled a rat and left it at that, never took the job. My friend went for an interview with them, they told her that her C.V was amazing ( She had never had a job before and had no qualifications other than the leaving cert ) and that was when I started to think there was something up with them. She was offered a job after two introduction days. She had been told that the job was a managerial position and that she would be earning 500 euro weekly. She thought she would be a qualified manager in 6 months and was talking about having her own company in a year! But, there was no basic wage, it was ALL commission only. Going door to door in all sorts of weather and getting shouted at and verbally abused by householders along the way.. She lasted a month before finally realising what a dead-end it was and leaving the job. They are constantly advertising for new recruits on jobs.ie so that's proof enough that nobody sticks it out for too long. You won't be getting the plush managerial number they are ''offering'' you anyway... Hope this was a help! PS. just look at all the other posts, need we say no more?

Its exactly like you said. Finding a job is this difficult walking all way and begging for it. Now, the job like this.. its commission based, even available in limerick. Moreover, they even asked me to come in coat, pant, shirt, tie and black shoes -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Got a call earlier on from them and an interview for tomorrow. This is the second time they've contacted me. First time I turned them down after reading about them, now I'm about to call and turn them down again.

Are they really scammers? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

An acquaintance recently got sucked into working for a similar company.

Between building your confidence then shattering it and the ever changing goal posts (being quoted wages and targets that were ever changing + having to be in the buildings office 2 hours before he started work in order to be driven to where they were selling for the day) it was a very unpleasant experience for him. The "potential" earnings quoted may seem achievable initially but are often laced with complicated conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Jasus, that's wicked altogether.

I didn't go in the end anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lencarlson

Deardful job. Really need to keep away from these people. Worked there for 6 days and only found this thread right now. Commission based ****e is all that it is, meeting targets is almost impossible and the abuse you get at doorways is unreal. people going on about the recession and such and how they have no money, unwilling to listen to what I had to say about airtricity. Maybe in better times it would be a tad easier, but as it stands it really is one of the worst things imaginable. Wish I had seen this thread before now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 justintime1

I could not believe that people like those at BSA are able to employ people and treat them like that. Went for an interview with them in cork last week... got to the final 20 candidates out of an apparent100, yeah right! then they rang again and told me i was very lucky to have pulled a job like this for myself with the economy and all. Went for the 2nd round interview which was also an introduction day. The longest serving member on my team had been there for 3 weeks and alarm bell started ringing. Went one day on door to door... abuse, rain and more abuse. NEVER again. I was so frustrated with the whole thing. They dropped me and another guy 2 miles outside of the city, left us off and told us we would be collected in 2 hours. I thought what in gods name am i going to do here for 2 hours as there were only 25 houses each. of the 25 i knocked on, 8 people answered. the others presumably at work. nobody signed up and i was told to F off by one man. we were collected and dropped back to the SAME place 2 hours later, being told to knock on the doors of the houses that hadn't answered the first time. The 2nd door i knocked on i was asked to go and die in a ditch... And that was the last straw for me! I walked the 2miles back to the city and jumped on a city bus home. Awful job!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thenadinewalsh

thanks for writing this stuff guys!
    had an interview for them tomorrow so ye saved me a long trip!

Nadine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Blue Steel always saying that they are on the verge of getting new clients, but the reality is that the ruthless Airtricity is the only one they've ever had. They give the new staff the impression that their company is expanding so fast that there will be news offices opening in other areas across Ireland. They make you feel lucky and make you fight for the job. They say with the right attitude, there's nothing stopping you from being as good as your team leader.

Because the company is so big & due to high turn over of staff, this means that the commission rates are not good. €17/€18 for a single sale and if you're very lucky, €27/€28 for a dual sale,(I used to get €50 per sale when I did insurance).

If you make a minimum of 5 sales a day for 5 days in a row you get promoted to stage 2 where you are a 'leader'. You are then allowed to interview potential new staff and take them out on the field with you to see whether they are worthy of the job. You can then train up several staff yourself by coming in early in the morning for no extra money(so they say).

Leaders start at 10pm in morning where they also decide what people go together on the day, where to and so on. The beginners are politely kept in the dark as to what is really goes. Leaders also collect at the end of the day where they breakdown the day and stuff. Beginners are advised to be in for 11am where they practice pitching and observe impact speeches. I would have imagined that leaders would get a cut of other people's commission on their team, in return for training them in, but they say they are 'giving back'. Defintely something off about the way they work 5 hours more per day and don't get any extra money. They told me that it would pay off when other offices would open up which they would get promoted to, to run themselves.

One thing I do know is that word got around the office really fast about certain things I did which I did not like. I was there on and off over 3 months and there were new faces every week. Hardly anyone stuck at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

Ah FFS. Is it bearable part-time?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

That180Guy wrote: »
    Ah FFS. Is it bearable part-time?

Part time is worse because the €5 fee for the HHT comes against you. If you make 2 sales, that that's €29 you've earned. That is very bad money. Are you working part time at the moment, selling something that you shouldn't believe in? with incredibly high hidden charges??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

LasTime wrote: »
    Part time is worse because the €5 fee for the HHT comes against you. If you make 2 sales, that that's €29 you've earned. That is very bad money. Are you working part time at the moment, selling something that you shouldn't believe in? with incredibly high hidden charges??

Not working, have no experience and every other job in existence requires experience besides this one haha.

Advertisement