Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatal crash on quay

• 25-01-2011 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Just passed it there. Huge sheet covering god only knows what on the road. Hard to imagine how the crash could have been fatal on the quay unless someone was severely exceeding the speed limit. Fatal according to AA roadwatch btw. My guess is a pedestrian killed by a car pulling out of that car park next to the clock tower.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Wlrfm (Official)
    A pedestrian has been killed in a road crash in Waterford City. It's understood the woman was struck by a car on the Quays near the Ulster Bank shortly before 6 o'clock this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Only a matter of time something like that was going to happen. The quay is a nightmare with cars pulling in and out of anywhere and drivers inventing parking spaces. They need to sort out something. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

my wife was only a few cars behind it when it happened earlier. She didnt totally see it, just said there was a lorry driving along the quay & a car pulling out of one of the car parks then she heard the screeching of brakes.....arrived home quite shaken a while later.

a 71 year old woman who later died in WRH according to RTE.ie

thoughts & prayers with the faimly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

very sad news. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Poor woman - no way for a lady of that age to go. Heartbreaking.

Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The situation with parking in that area is chaos, especially with cars reversing blind, out into the traffic flow.

Commiserations and RIP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Huge problem with pedestrians walking out in front of traffic and ignoring pedestrian lights as well as the amount of cars that park in the middle of lanes, pulling out from those exits. Disaster waiting to happen.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Poor woman! RIP :(

The Quay has been an accident waiting to happen for some time, as many people have pointed out (e.g. this post of mine). Mike65 made a sensible suggestion in another post. This should have been done years ago.

I drive it every morning and evening, and it always amazes me how some drivers treat it as a racetrack. All the worse, given that you've usually got pedestrians waiting in the middle. If you stick to the speed limit, you have people routinely overtaking you on either side.

I always use the pedestrian crossings myself, because even if you're standing in the middle, there's no guarantee some idiot won't take you out. Often drivers are more concerned with overtaking the other guy than looking out for pedestrians.

We don't know what happened this poor lady, but for God's sake the City Council has to do something about pedestrian safety on the Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Only heard this now very sad news :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sully wrote: »
    Huge problem with pedestrians walking out in front of traffic and ignoring pedestrian lights as well as the amount of cars that park in the middle of lanes, pulling out from those exits. Disaster waiting to happen.

RIP.

+1
    an abosulte disaster.. people walking out on rodas, cars parking everywhere

RIP - no way for anyone to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Deepest regrets to the family.

Had a close one today at the ped crossing at the AIB, a mucky silver BMW ran the red light while we were crossing. I wouldn't have been going so slow only for I was pushing a buggy. If I had been walking I would have been hit.

I always use the ped crossing, but I have seen people try cross when the road is completely clear then get stuck after 3 lanes, because cars flow out of a side street.
    Have to say I don't like the single lane idea, we need the cops on the quay 6 weeks in a row to sort out the idiots using the left lanes as a car park. I'm often over / undertaken when I do 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Its madness
    cars swerving in and out of lanes only occassionally indicating,
    cars parked on double yellow lines blocking up whole lanes of traffic, most the time facing on coming traffic occasionally driving against oncoming traffic.
    cars parked on the double yellow lines as you drive out of gladstone street blocking your view of on coming traffic
    cars driving like its the fast and the furious,
    people walking out in front of cars,

I actually saw a family of two adults and two kids crossing the road the parents made no attemt to control the kids they just let them run out on the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

kensutz wrote: »
    Only a matter of time something like that was going to happen. The quay is a nightmare with cars pulling in and out of anywhere and drivers inventing parking spaces. They need to sort out something. RIP.
    fricatus wrote: »
    Poor woman! RIP :(
    We don't know what happened this poor lady, but for God's sake the City Council has to do something about pedestrian safety on the Quay.
    The City Council are supposed to be doing work on the Quays as part of their 'Green Route' plan. Work was due to start some time this month and finish by Easter. I think part of the plan was to put roundabouts on the Quay (and possibly get rid of a lane or two, can't remember for sure) which would slow down the traffic.
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/Revised1.7.10Part8NoticeForNewspaper02-10.doc

Very dangerous at the moment on the Quay, loads of time I've seen drivers blatantly run a red light down by Dooley's.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

There was a thread on the upgrading of the quay before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055940858&highlight=quay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

That's awful to hear. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

This is awful news .My mam rang to say she was a friend of this poor lady and is in shock .As others have said the quay was a accident waiting to happen .My condolences to the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

RIP

Commiserations to the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

alibab wrote: »
    This is awful news .My mam rang to say she was a friend of this poor lady and is in shock .As others have said the quay was a accident waiting to happen .My condolences to the family

I heard who it was this morning and the woman was a friend of my families, its a real shock to hear that someone you know was killed like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Again RIP,

Mrs Ziedth's aunt got creamed by a lorry down there a couple of years ago it was simply a miricle that the poor woman survived. IIRC he ran a red light by the clock tower and I almost got hit down there once by the bus station for the exact same thing about 8 years ago. hopefully something will be done from the aftermath to avoid further accidents down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

RIP

Passed there this afternoon and Airtricity were fixing a street light directly opposite the Ulster Bank.

The quay is deadly for vehicles running red lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

RIP

Saw someone get hit by a van Christmas week outside Kellys too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

wellboy76 wrote: »
    RIP

Saw someone get hit by a van Christmas week outside Kellys too

the lad that got hit by a van was pissed as a fart, was only after turning 16 and had been on the piss for two days, he just ran straight out in front of the van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Junior wrote: »
    the lad that got hit by a van was pissed as a fart, was only after turning 16 and had been on the piss for two days, he just ran straight out in front of the van

He must have been ok afterward, never heard anything else after it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SeanDoe

wellboy76 wrote: »
    He must have been ok afterward, never heard anything else after it
    Better chance of surviving a hit when your drunk,same as a fall on your head:cool:
    Poor Women probable crossing that road longer than most of us,& then some dick in a rush comes along:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

SeanDoe wrote: »
    Better chance of surviving a hit when your drunk,same as a fall on your head:cool:
    Poor Women probable crossing that road longer than most of us,& then some dick in a rush comes along:mad:

think youre bang out of order there, im sure the driver of the car will be feeling this too.."not implying that this is anyones fault".., there are 4 light controlled crossings on the quay"and this accident didnt happen on one of those" and still people try to dodge traffic accross the road..only today i witnessed a woman crossing the road and standing in the middle waiting till the other carrigeway was clear when she was no more than 20 meters from the crossing at the plaza...suicidal.....please people use the pedestrian crossings and save your own life...and for the record i do know the immediate family and i do know exactly what happened.....R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

There should be barriers erected the whole length of the quay to stop people from going out onto the road and crossing wherever they feel like it.

I see it everyday people are running out in front of cars trying to play dodgeball to get to the other side to save a minute or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bards wrote: »
    There should be barriers erected the whole length of the quay to stop people from going out onto the road and crossing wherever they feel like it.

I agree something should be done, but I don't agree with you on the solution Bards. It's a busy city-centre area the whole length of the Quay and you're going to have pedestrians crossing it all day long.

IMO, what's needed is a pelican crossing at every point where the Quay meets another street. By my reckoning that would mean 13 of them. It would have the effect of slowing traffic right down, but not causing long queues. If drivers (including myself, twice a day at least) are inconvenienced by a few minutes, then that's too bad.

Barriers are car friendly, but not pedestrian friendly. If we're trying to make the Quay into a pleasant boulevard, they're not the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

The Quay is a mess & any attempt to place pelican crossings at what I calculate it to be 9 streets meeting the main road would bring traffic to a standstill resulting in major tailbacks all over the city. You only have to look at Lower Newtown / Park Road where the WCC installed 2 sets of traffic lights. A perfect solution to the problem of crossing the Quay is underground walkways. They are to be found all over Europe, so why not here? Further all parking on the town side of the Quay should be done away with altogether (place a few horizontal loading bays in prime locations)

Advertisement