Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatal crash on quay

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fricatus wrote: »
    I agree something should be done, but I don't agree with you on the solution Bards. It's a busy city-centre area the whole length of the Quay and you're going to have pedestrians crossing it all day long.

IMO, what's needed is a pelican crossing at every point where the Quay meets another street. By my reckoning that would mean 13 of them. It would have the effect of slowing traffic right down, but not causing long queues. If drivers (including myself, twice a day at least) are inconvenienced by a few minutes, then that's too bad.

Barriers are car friendly, but not pedestrian friendly. If we're trying to make the Quay into a pleasant boulevard, they're not the answer.
    Barriers certainly can work. I'm sure you would agree that Tokyo is slightly busier than Waterford and many busy streets along main routes there have barriers and just have gaps for pedestrian crossings, bus stops and the like. And it works very well. And I would argue that something that stops people walking out in front of traffic is also pedestrian friendly. There is no need for people to run across the road at Kellys when there is a crossing a few feet away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ although I agree with the theory I think it would look awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it would work, but I agree it would not look good, especially when the election candidates had finished putting up posters along the entire length.

Advertisement