Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy Saving at ITB.

• 25-01-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Did anybody happen to watch 'Eco Eye' this evening on RTE1? Duncan Stewart reported on the great strides being made in energy saving at Cork IT. A huge amount of money is said to have been saved.

This programme reminded me of two happy years I spent at ITB in 2007/ 2008. Whilst enjoying the college facilities, it always amazed me that all lights seemed to left on permanently in all areas, Winter and Summer. Further, computers and monitors were never switched off in the evening time, but seemed to run 24/7. Regarding the heating, I just don't remember.

The above RTE programme made me wonder if ITB have introduced any
    energy saving / eco friendly measures in the meantime? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Let's see... so far as I can tell at the moment.

Lighting in main hallways: stays on forever, probably a safety thing.

Low use areas, toilets.. quiet spots.. have 'activate on movement' lights that switch off after some time without movement.

Pc's ..I've noticed in the mornings that pc's seem to be all off... everywhere other then study areas... I doubt one guy walks around turning them all off... so that's probably a network sleep.

Monitors... these stay on, on stand by.. could probably do with some campaign to tell students to turn a monitor off when their done... but then again I've never walked in, in the morning to find a monitor still on, so I assume these have some sort of power cut off also.

Interms of awareness... I haven't seen sight of any. I know the CompSoc Pc's stay on 24/7 giving cpu cycles to cancer research when not being used.

Other then that... I don't see any major areas of concern...

Advertisement