Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Payment & Maintenance Grant

Options
  • 25-01-2011 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend who more than likely will be applying for a disability payment in the near future with social welfare.

They are also thinking of the possibility of going to college this September what with CAO D-day and all looming at the minute.

I've been trying to research the issue of disability payments and the availability of the maintenance grant for them and I gather that at the moment you can get both.

However someone mentioned to me that the person would need to be receiving their disability payment for 2 years or more before being entitled to go to college and avail of the grant, however as I cannot find any mention of this on the web I'm not sure whether this is simply conjecture?

Does anyone here know if this is true or how do you have to be on disability before being able to go to college and get the grant etc..?

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fionab2010

This page has information on Disability payments and grants, there is a difference between disability allowance and illness benefit. Illness benefit would be longer term and the person would have a long term illness or disabilty.

I hope thats a help.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/social_welfare_payments_and_the_student_maintenance_grant_for_the_2010_11_academic_year.html

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JimmyR

Its the other way round Disability Allowance is a long term disabilty or illness and is means tested.

Illness Benefit is generally short term and you would need to have built up PRSI contributions in order to be eligible. It is not means tested as in the same way that Jobseekers benefit would not be, as far as I know, I could be corrected on this.

Fionab2010's link has all the relevant information your looking for but I'll just put the bit that is relevant to you here:

Rules

To qualify for the Back to Education Allowance, you must be at least 21 years of age (24 years of age for a third-level postgraduate course). For exceptions to the age limit - see below.
    If you wish to attend a second level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for at least 3 months (78 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course.
    If you wish to attend a third level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course.

Student maintenance grants

From September 2010, you will not get the Back to Education Allowance and student maintenance grant, if you:
    • Have been getting BTEA and are moving or progressing to a new course
    • Are a new BTEA applicant
    Although you are not entitled to a maintenance grant, you must still submit a maintenance grant application form to get payment of the student service charge and tuition fees. Contact your local authority or VEC for more information.
    If you are getting one of the social welfare payments listed below, you can choose to stay on your current social welfare payment and apply for a maintenance grant or transfer to the BTEA. You can find out whether BTEA is the best option for you.
    • One-Parent Family Payment
    • Disability Allowance
    • Invalidity Pension
    • Illness Benefit
    Exceptions
    If you are currently getting the Back to Education Allowance and the student maintenance grant, you will continue to be eligible for both payments in the following circumstances:
    • For the duration of your current course
    • If you progress without a break in studies from a level 7 ordinary degree to a one year add-on level 8 honours degree
    You must continue to meet the terms and conditions of both schemes.
    If you are participating in the BTEA scheme on a non-payment basis (only getting the Cost of Education Allowance) because you were signing on or sending medical certs for credits, you can also apply for a maintenance grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Taty666

So, If I`m on Illness Benefit for one year (and unemployed for 2 months), I can apply for BTEA 2011/2012?

Advertisement