Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruelty free / vegan or veggie friendly skincare products

Options
  • 25-01-2011 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Does anybody know of skincare products that really are cruelty free? I am aware that lots of cosmetic companies claim that they are cruelty free because they say that they didn't test on animals, but it's likely that the company that produced some of the ingredients for them did test on animals. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

simple products, orginal sourse has the vegan sybmol. cosmectics - urban decay and gosh have a range or h&b have a good selection that are vegan too. i think mac make up is too?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Does anybody know of skincare products that really are cruelty free? I am aware that lots of cosmetic companies claim that they are cruelty free because they say that they didn't test on animals, but it's likely that the company that produced some of the ingredients for them did test on animals. Any thoughts?

Green People products http://www.greenpeople.co.uk and Lavera http://www.lavera.com are two companies I would recommend.

Green People's men's deodorant is best natural deodorant i have ever tried and I have tried a fair few. The smell is unisex. Their intensive hair conditioner is excellent too. Their spf 15 Day Solution moisturiser is too dry for my skin and as it seems with all natural spf's it sits on the skin.

Lavera do makeup as well as toiletries. Dr Organics products are also suitable for vegetarians with some suitable for vegans, they are currently replacing packaging to signify which is what. I've yet to try them but they look great.

I don't really trust any products or companies that aren't certified vegetarian or vegan especially the big multi million euro companies - if they gave a s**t they would spend a few quid and get certified.

If you are ever going to Germany, Austria or Slovakia pop into DM Drogeriemarkt which is their equivalent to Boots as they do their own range of natural cosmetics called Alverde which are dirt cheap. They have lots of vegan certified cosmetics and toiletries. Soaps for under 1e, shower gels starting at 2e, facial serum for 5e etc. They also try to keep the rest of the brand 'vegetarian' but somehow the odd vegetarian product still use silk, shellac and one other ingredient I can't name at the moment - grrrrr.

On the top of my wish list is a vegetarian or vegan moisturiser for dry skin with at least an spf of 15. If anyone knows of a good one I would be very grateful.

Same with a vegetarian mascara - apart from Lavera does one even exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

flikflak wrote: »

My skin was so dry a few months ago that I actually went to Arnotts to have a mini facial at origins counter. Girl tried to explain to me why they are not certified vegan or vegetarian but I found it hard to believe. Anyway she recommended 'Have a Nice Day SPF 15' for me and I spent a fortune on products. Two days later my skin was even drier and I had to go shopping for another moisturiser. I felt it was guilty that it was karma for not making sure the product was certified!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Original Source - most are vegan but some contain honey, widely available in supermarkets/pharmacists
    WE WILL:

Never ever consider, or even think of, showering or bathing as a routine
    Always remain curious (enough to worry Laura from Health & Safety)
    Use our senses to discover intense experiences
    Use natural ingredients
    Never tire of looking for new ingredients
    Never stop messing around with new ingredients and packaging
    Never test our products on animals
    Always test our products on ourselves

Never be wasteful

Jason Organics - available in health stores and some pharmacies
    Today, our top quality, affordable line features over 200 products, which are manufactured using the most advanced, innovative techniques and the purest, organic ingredients. JASON is still committed to creating distinctive, pampering products that delight the senses, soothe the soul, respect the planet and animals, and promote health and well being in our daily lives.

Avalon Organics - available in health stores
    We are conscious of the value of all life and neither test our products on animals nor support the testing of ingredients on animals. Because we respect the individual dietary needs, choices and practices of our customers, we never use animal-based ingredients in our products.

Faith In Nature
    Faith in Nature produce several ranges of natural beauty and skin care products that are both chemical and animal cruelty free, plus a household cleansing cleansing range branded Clear Spring. They can be purchased from our retailer network, or via this web site.

Most or all of these should be available to purchase online from places like www.veganstore.co.uk if you can't find them in health shops.
    edit: can't advise on makeup as it clashes with my beard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

You could try making your own skincare stuff, at least then you'd know what you're putting on your face. There are some good recipes here. The oils can be expensive but they'd last a lot longer than soap and stuff and you can cook with them too!

For shampoo I use the Faith in Nature stuff that Absurdum mentioned, 'cos it's the biz. Pretty expensive though. Might start using the baking soda/cider vinegar method.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Drink lots of water and don't eat junk food.

Aside from that, a few people I know would recommend Lush. The vast majority of their stuff is vegan, and although it's a bit pricey, it goes a long way. Unfortunately you can only get their stuff in Dublin or Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I'd also recommend Lush, I've noticed a huge difference since I've started using their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

Yes MAC is ethical so is EMANI, INGLOT, burts bees and Nimue (yes I know Nimue costs and arm and a leg but it really works!)

Peta has an ethical company list for not just beauty products but other areas too like cleaning products etc. etc.

A lot of the skincare and makeup companies are owned by either of these two big boys: L'oreal (keep well away from) who own Rimmel etc. or Estee Lauder (ethical!) who own MAC etc.
    Just do a google search to find out who owns who!

Also keep away from Proctor and Gamble they own everything!!! from Pringles too oil of olay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I wouldn't recommend the 'Yes to..' range, made my skin drier and more prone to breakouts! They're vegetarian, I'm fairly sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Catherine Murphy

Hi

EO Ireland is a range of skin care/body care products that are not tested on animals. They have the "Leaping Bunny" logo stamp that is the cruelty-free standard for companies producing cosmetic, personal care and household products. The Leaping Bunny programme provides the best assurance that no animal testing is used in any phase of product development by a company or its suppliers. On a plus side too, EO Ireland products are natural, free from artificial fragrance and dyes, and there are no harsh chemicals (so free from the controversial preservative, paraben.) Not owned by a corporation, a small business. See www.eoireland.com You often see discount promotions on the EO Ireland facebook page so worth a look.

Hi

EO Ireland is a range of skin care/body care products that are not tested on animals. They have the "Leaping Bunny" logo stamp that is the cruelty-free standard for companies producing cosmetic, personal care and household products. The Leaping Bunny programme provides the best assurance that no animal testing is used in any phase of product development by a company or its suppliers. On a plus side too, EO Ireland products are natural, free from artificial fragrance and dyes, and there are no harsh chemicals (so free from the controversial preservative, paraben.) Not owned by a corporation, a small business. See www.eoireland.com You often see discount promotions on the EO Ireland facebook page so worth a look.

Does 'cruelty free standard' mean that the product contain's no animal ingredients? I think it should but not sure it actually does.

Does EO Ireland products contain any animal ingredients?

Why don't companies use the certified vegan or vegetarian logo's?

I would feel a lot better if they had this especially with the big multimillion dollor companies.

Hi

EO Ireland products are not tested on animals and the product labels confirm that with text and the icon of the "leaping bunny" - The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Programme administers the cruelty-free standard. So that's the best label/logo for illustrating no animal testing and you can use that as a guide. (The Leaping Bunny Programme provides the best assurance that no animal testing is used in any phase of product development by the company, its laboratories, or suppliers.)

Hi

EO Ireland products are not tested on animals and the product labels confirm that with text and the icon of the "leaping bunny" - The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Programme administers the cruelty-free standard. So that's the best label/logo for illustrating no animal testing and you can use that as a guide. (The Leaping Bunny Programme provides the best assurance that no animal testing is used in any phase of product development by the company, its laboratories, or suppliers.)

But it doesn't tell me if the product contains any animal products and you also never answered my question asking if EO Ireland products contain any animal ingredients?

EO Ireland has no animal ingredients.

Advertisement