Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Age Were You When You Entered The World Of Photography?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Well, I think it was in 2004, Which would be when I was 14... I started with this beast:

prodimg?mediatype=2&id=B2577A04-D38E-46F8-965B-126C15B4022C

That was a family digital camera, From there I got my own and I was hooked! Got my frist DSLR in 2007 and have progressed to something between amateur and professional (?) I'm doing a mixture of paid stuff and university clubs stuff.

I'm happy though, so that's all that matters :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Buceph wrote: »
    A huge thank you from me to twowheelsonly. I now have the D40 in my hands, he even drove out to my place to give it to me. I'm looking through guides on how to use it now. And I'll spend the night seeing what buses can bring me to interesting places (or I'll spend tomorrow prowling about town.) I'm delighted.

Thank you, again.

Excellent! fair play twowheelonly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

woody_2000 wrote: »
    When I was about 15, and at school, I bought a used manual film SLR in practically as new condition on "layaway" with a camera shop. I kept it for about six months and then traded it in, with cash, for a quicker used aperture priority SLR - in slightly more used condition. I never used anything more than a standard prime lens. I had a few photo magazines, and I mainly used my photography time trying out the various photographic techniques in these magazines - and to rather good effect. My accessories extended to a Cokin filter holder with one or two creative filters, and a rubber lens hood. I never really did much more than that because the logistics, and costs, associated with film photography were not really feasible for me - but this was my first real introduction to the world of photography. This latter camera then sat in a drawer, unused, for many years before I eventually sold it - and I hardly ever used a camera since my initial foray into photography. I never had, or probably even used, a camera since then (unspecified temporal gap :rolleyes:) until 2003 when I came across a reasonably priced discounted Nikon Coolpix 2000 digital compact in a Currys store, which I bought for very practical purposes - as it would slot in neatly with other practical digital facets. I subsequently bought a later model Nikon compact (Coolpix 2200) in the US the following year (the compact size was very important), which I didn't use very much until I installed a trial of Photoshop CS on my computer later that year. During that trial period I took the time to understand all I needed to know about processing, correcting and enhancing digital photographs - including "purist" Photoshop techniques for correcting chromatic aberration, noise reduction - and developing my own particular technique for efficiently correcting barrel distortion using a Photoshop action. I also had Photoshop Elements 2 on my computer, but I didn't particularly like the direction Photoshop Elements took since then with version 3 onwards. I then went doing other things and completely forgot about digital photography once again (and not understanding as to why compact point and shoot digital cameras needed to be any more than 2 or 3 megapixels, and compromising on light sensitivity with higher density sensors - and making up for it with image stabilisation, and then still have rather "muddy" images). Then in 2010 when I was looking at a digital photograph online one day, and the particular character and quality of the image struck me, and got me thinking of getting a good digital camera to explore photography once again. I considered a DSLR but decided against it as the physical size was not practicable for me, as I wanted a good quality take anywhere camera for a particular type of photography I had in mind. With this in mind, and after some research, I decided on a Canon S90 - and I could relate to, and appreciate, the idea of a bigger and lower density sensor in a compact. If the results, and what I learn, justify it - I will then probably consider a fairly good DSLR body at some stage - with a good lens or two. I was thinking of maybe a fairly good mid range DSLR, but if action shots become part of the equation then a more expensive semi-pro body might be a consideration -- but I don't know yet. I have been visiting this photography forum recently, and other photography websites, as part of my exploration of the subject - and it has even been interesting to see people discussing and exploring techniques for the first that I been exploring and trying out for myself on film as a teenager xx years previously... I am now back picking up from my initial foray all those years ago (ok, I'll admit it, the 80s :eek:), in the digital cloud that is the global village - and who would have thought it -- not I, for one - and I did computer science for the Leaving Cert back then... Two of my early/teenage pursuits coming together in the most interesting of ways - maybe it's time...
    Quoted to use up bandwidth and push for harsh sentences for those who don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

My head hurts!:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm a paragraph man myself but see where you're coming from AR.

Before I was 38 and a half I'd really only did nude adult photography so I only consider what I'm doing now from when I started...38 and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I learned photography at the age of 10 from my Dad who was always mad into film. I originally learned on a Minolta SLR film and he also showed me how to develop the film in a wet darkroom (his own makeshift darkroom).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

About ... 2 or 3 years ago ? that is, at around 35. Always had your average point and shoots, switched to digital maybe 10 years ago, so I could email photos to the family back in France.

It's funny, I always had an interest in trying to take nice pics of nature, etc... but never really gave any thought to learning properly, so didn't bother too much, just snapped friends. I hate maths and numbers, and I guess because there's a bit of that in photography I didn't even consider it.

Then I had the kids, and hubby (alias Gadgetman) came back from the States with a Fujifilm Finepix S5600. I used it for a year on Auto, and it finally dawned on me that with the help of the internet I could learn bits and pieces at my own pace, and try to take better pics. So I switched to Manual, and I was hooked.
    For Christmas 2010 hubby striked again, and we adopted my Pentax K-x.

I'm well and truly addicted to it now, pity I don't get much time to go out more and learn more, but with the kiddies growing I'll have more time in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

kodak_easyshare_z650_2A.jpg

In 2006, started at the age of 18 with this Kodak bridge camera.

It didn't have the best sensor going at only 7.1megapixels but, being a poor student, I was on a tight budget. Desperately wanted manual control over the exposure settings so it gave me what I wanted with what little pennies I had scraped together. Got myself a couple of books on techniques and started going from there.

I've since moved on to a Canon 500D but the old girl is still sitting in a drawer next to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

about 15-16 when I got a P&S camera but never really used it ever tbh... Only really started taking an interest in the past 12 months so when I was 18 I started properly when I decided to go for an upgrade to a bridge camera - loving it since and when I can afford it I'll be going DSLR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I was about 8, my father was mad into photography and bought me my first camera. Went astray in my teenage years when I discovered girls and beer.

About 4 years ago I was gifted a 400d from a customer as a thank-you which re-kindled the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll watch that. I think I understand what you're saying - watching my sentence structure, and all that :o
    kensutz wrote: »
    My head hurts!:p

My head hurts too! Maybe that's why :(
    humberklog wrote: »
    I'm a paragraph man myself but see where you're coming from AR.

I don't realise what I'm writing sometimes, and then at the end of it I think I've written too much - and then think I should delete half of it, but don't because I think it might reduce the point I was trying to get across (I think I might have done that sentence thing again). So I guess I just leave out paragraphs to make the post appear smaller - but I guess it just looks like big incoherent block instead... It's a bit of a dilemma for me, I'm afraid :confused:

I have a difficulty reading back through some of my posts also, tbh...

Ok. I'll keep all this in mind, and watch it for any further posts :) Thanks

(Apologies for the OT situation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm long winded too, and I don't mind reading long winded posts, but sentences and paragraphs do help to make it easier :). Sometimes you just have to make your point and that's that. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

14 now 15 and doing sports photography when ever the work comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Bought my first film compact (Pentax) when I was 21 and used it for holiday snaps only. 7 years later I met my current bf, who is big into photography; a few months later I got my first dSLR and am caught forever...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

About 11 with a digital camera gotten from Avonmore by collecting tokens off milk cartons. 17 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Never entered, only lurking over the fence. And yes, I am already older then Jesus :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    About 11 with a digital camera gotten from Avonmore by collecting tokens off milk cartons. 17 now.

You're only 17? Some of your landscapes are absolutely amazing :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I was always been interested in photography since I was a child but finally started taking photos when I was about 14. Granted a couple years of ****e work but it's seriously beginning to improve..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

I played around with camera's a lot as a child, My nana loved camera's and i always had access. As far as "photography" goes though, It was in school when i was 13 and my art teacher started up an after hours photography class teaching us all about taking and developing photos. Unfortunately after a lot of initial interest, most of the students disappeared and the class was packed in due to lack of interest. I had done enough in the time we did have to keep me totally hooked though and here i am 12 years later and still doing it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Buceph wrote: »
    A huge thank you from me to twowheelsonly. I now have the D40 in my hands, he even drove out to my place to give it to me. I'm looking through guides on how to use it now. And I'll spend the night seeing what buses can bring me to interesting places (or I'll spend tomorrow prowling about town.) I'm delighted.

Thank you, again.

Fair play twowheelsonly!

On that vein, Buceph I have a Nikon mount Sigma 70-210mm (MF) lens that's sitting around doing nothing, in good condition, yours if you want it! Also have D40 training video and books from when I had mine, and you're more than welcome to them too! Drop me a PM if you do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Only seriously got into photography this time last year, when I purchased my first dSLR - then 33; instantly hooked. I've since traded up to a D90 and got an old 35mm fully manual film slr and a few fast primes at Christmas - now hooked on film too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm a late comer to the photography game I'm ashamed to say (sorry pete4130). Like most people I had a compact or two when I was younger in the mid 80s- I seem to remember our local shop selling those 110 film cameras very cheap. I think one of those would have been my first camera and the yep the quality was absolutely dreadful.

In my teenage years my folks bought me a Kodak compact and a photography book for teenagers- I think they really wanted to get me a hobby that took me outdoors and away from the television. Sadly I wasn't inspired or creative enough to do anything with it.

In late 2004 I met my good lady and in preperation for my first trip to Poland I bought a Sony compact. Combined with having met herself and going somewhere exciting I snapped away. Eventually it got to the stage that I wasn't very happy with what was coming out of the compact and wanted something better. I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ18 and while it was a good camera it didn't give me the ability I wanted so I turned to you guys!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055306397

Here's the thread where I turned to you guys for advice on buying my first DSLR and where ACD convinced me to buy the Pentax K100D Super. I've since upgraded to the K7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

...I was this many.

99923ADC24AA4C51813EC1C37415B72D-0000323311-0001916157-00800L-DF9CBB595B2F468182D96EAD6493DCD6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

When I was 10 my dad took a photo on holidays without changing the range on the camera (it had 4 settings, 3ft 5ft 10 ft infinity) and the scenery was blurred, but a fat german at the side was in sharp focus, standing out from the background, and I thought the way the picture was taken was great, and that I think was the start of my interest.

My first "proper" camera was a praktica, which I got when I was 18, and used incessantly. It broke and was replaced.
    When I was 26 I moved to Canon EOS, with a EOS 10, which also broke, then an EOS 100 (which I still think is the greatest camera I have ever used).
    And then 8 years later again, after shooting 23 rolls of slide in 3 weeks on Holidays, I grudgingly moved to digital. That was 6 years ago, and I have already broken one DSLR, so looking at the pattern I'll be moving on again in 2 years.

Advertisement