Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you vote Sinn Fein for the election?

• 25-01-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Well? Would you?

A lot of political parities have murky past like FG and FF but we have to move on and as the world is moving ever faster, maybe 50 years isn't needed to forget?

Maybe 10 or so in these modern infoteclogical times?

I'm thinking of swining in that direction. Would you?

Would you vote SF? 320 votes

I might very well so so.
    0% 0 votes
    No chance!
    100% 320 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OINK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Errr, yeah, sure.

People remember what they did and what they stood for. They conveniently forgot what Fianna Fáil did in the past. We should remember both and vote for neither.

We are knee deep in shit, why would we endanger ourselves even more when we are weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Well? Would you?

A lot of political parities have murky past like FG and FF but we have to move on and as the world is moving ever faster, maybe 50 years isn't needed to forget?

So you think SF doesn't have murky past (and present)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well? Would you?

Maybe when the party isnt run by the actual people responsible for huge atrocities it might be time to think about moving on. Certain people should be rotting in jail, not otu canvassign for votes, and worse, getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kn0ckers

meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

WAIT!!!!!

*grabs Popcorn*

Ok........ go ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I wouldn't vote for them, I don't like where they stand on The Issues. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

After jurry Adams embarrassing interview today you'd have to be retarded to vote for them. Could not answer any question straight and suggested we renege on the IMF deal and then go to the markets. Is he for real? We'd be crucified.
    He then switched to "oh we'll negotiate with the IMF" and then back to reneging.

Then he suggested we leave Anglo and Nationwide fail. Yea that would've been a fair idea 2 years ago but it isn't now. When asked what about all the people with savings in those banks after letting it fail, he had no answer.

Embarrassment of a party

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

Never mind the past, sinn fein are far too radical and idealistic to do a good job of running the country.
    I can't think of anything off had but I, generally disagree with their ideas for reform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

read this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0125/breaking20.html

If you vote for an idealistic mad party which think the solution to Ireland's problem "defaulting" our banks is a good idea - then by all means, work away and exercise your right to throw away your vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

No. I would not.

Not because of all the "Nationalist" or "IRA" related baggage but simply because I don't believe in any political movement that lives in fairy land thinking that everything will just sort itself out (no need for cuts etc...) and their constant... The rich need to pay more blah blah blah bullcrap.

While the bank bail out needs considerable scrutiny a viable alternative is not this (whatever this actually is):
    The money exists in the National Pension Reserve Fund and in Exchequer funding to fund the state for this year.

“The focus for the next twelve months must be on protecting and creating jobs, growing the economy through a stimulus package and returning to the bond markets in 2012 to negotiate funds at an acceptable rate"
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/19954

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Maybe when the party isnt run by the actual people responsible for huge atrocities

You clearly have evidence to make such a claim, so by actually withholding this evidence you are committing a criminal offence.

You clearly have evidence to make such a claim, so by actually withholding this evidence you are committing a criminal offence.

from 6mins 45 secs on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

You're kidding right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yes i will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Yes i would, and lets remember, their original aim was (and as such still is) for a 32 county Ireland. That's something i'd love to see, although logical thinking would say that i won't see it in my lifetime. In any case, they have had controvercies but every party has had. What matters now is their political stance today - and alot of it makes sence - some of it doesn't either though, but like the rest of the opposition, it feels like they don't go against the government, just because they are the opposition. i think they have legitimate policies where FG and Labour don't at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Well? Would you?

I take it you aren't affiliated with Sinn Fein in any shape or form... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I doubt I will, but I wouldn't be so down on anyone who is considering it either. Over the last few months SF have been the only ones to show their worth as an opposition party. They are the only ones against the rushing through of the finance bill while the other parties sit on their hands and ignore people's concerns just so that they won't be held responsible for passing the bill once they are in power.

imho, SF have some of the freshest candidates in the country, it's just a pity that they decided to aim so far to the left when getting into politics. As for Gerry, well he's Gerry.. I'd say the party as a whole would be better off without him or any of the other old-hats, but they'd never sacrifice the 'hardliner' vote by having them step down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

At the last election they wanted to re-nationalise eircom and aer lingus (maybe a few more as well). Both of which were either riddled with debt, losing money or both. They haven't a bloody clue.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Yes i would, and lets remember, their original aim was (and as such still is) for a 32 county Ireland. That's something i'd love to see, although logical thinking would say that i won't see it in my lifetime. In any case, they have had controvercies but every party has had. What matters now is their political stance today - and alot of it makes sence - some of it doesn't either though, but like the rest of the opposition, it feels like they don't go against the government, just because they are the opposition. i think they have legitimate policies where FG and Labour don't at times.

Putting aside all the "they are our counties" stuff and focusing on the parts that actually affect us. The north costs the British exchequer huge sums every year. Where do you propose we find the money to subsidise it? consdering the 26 counties we already have are running at a huge loss as it is. Just the actual changeover from British to Irish rule would cost Billions on day 1, never mind when we actually have to pay for stuff to make the place run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No. They only want to deal with those on low incomes, as opposed to FF and FG who only want to deal with builders, bankers, farmers and people from D4.
    I'd rather vote for someone who treats all people equally. That's why I'll be voting for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

In recent years, I have to admit there has been an improvement in their candidates and the work they do at a local level. But as far as a national level I still think as a party they have a long way to go. As long as Gerry Adams is still their leader, I'll never vote for them.

Could you imagine if he was our Taoiseach though!? While he may end up saying some stupid things I'm sure some of his European counterparts might think twice about taking him on! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Absolutely not. Just like the SWP, on the fence, for everything and against everything. I would have said before that it would be a dangerous day if the Shinners got power, but look at what FF have done to the place (and I would have been a FF voter - never again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes i would, and lets remember, their original aim was (and as such still is) for a 32 county Ireland.
    And their method of trying to achieve that was to murder anybody who stood in their way, be they man, woman or child.
    What matters now is their political stance today - and alot of it makes sence - some of it doesn't either though, but like the rest of the opposition, it feels like they don't go against the government, just because they are the opposition. i think they have legitimate policies where FG and Labour don't at times.

OK, now this makes absolutely no sense. All they do is "go against the government". They had to be thrown out of all-party talks the other day because Doherty didn't understand the concept of intelligent dialogue, preferring instead to act like a spoilt 5 year old who didn't get his way. And they by no means have legitimate policies. That is what everybody is laughing about. They haven't a clue! I mean, Labour are pretty poor on the policy front, but compared to Sinn Fein, they look like the most intelligent, coherent intellects ever. If you were to hand Sinn Fein complete control of the country tomorrow, by the weekend, the entire country would collapse.

P.S. What also matters now is their continued attitude to murder, violence, theft and intimidation. Despite "offically" declaring a cease-fire, they are still very much involved in criminal/terrorist activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Terry wrote: »
    No. They only want to deal with those on low incomes, as opposed to FF and FG who only want to deal with builders, bankers, farmers and people from D4.
    I'd rather vote for someone who treats all people equally. That's why I'll be voting for me.

So what political party will you be voting for Terry? Or in the light of them being indo, who will you be voting for?

Who is "me" in Terry terms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Anita Blow wrote: »
    After jurry Adams embarrassing interview today you'd have to be retarded to vote for them. Could not answer any question straight and suggested we renege on the IMF deal and then go to the markets. Is he for real? We'd be crucified.
    He then switched to "oh we'll negotiate with the IMF" and then back to reneging.

Then he suggested we leave Anglo and Nationwide fail. Yea that would've been a fair idea 2 years ago but it isn't now. When asked what about all the people with savings in those banks after letting it fail, he had no answer.

Embarrassment of a party

Gerry Adams. I have to say Adams could be the Achilles heel of the entire Sinn Féin campaign if his inability to answer Varadkar's point this morning is anything to go by. And I say this as somebody who remains wholly unconvinced that Fine Gael will be any different from Fianna Fáil if they get into power. I find the notion delusional in the extreme.

It's utterly unforgivable that Adams has not learnt his lesson since 2007 and he is insulting the intelligence of us all by refusing to tackle economic points and instead offering something populist. It fools nobody. Sinn Féin should either stop letting him talk about economic issues or, more preferably, bring in the relevant advisers to give him an intensive course on economic matters so that Adams can give serious alternatives to Fine Gael and Labour. Very many people are looking for those alternatives, make no mistake about that.

The interview, for those who missed it, was on Morning Ireland. It can be listened to here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'd like to see them get a few more seats, they're not going to get enough to make it into power, but its about time they either become a proper party in the South with well thought out policies, or they feck off back to the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

To be honest, after the way Fianna Fail have acted, given spinelessness of Fine Gael and Labour I'd be highly tempted to vote for Sinn Fein. As bad as they are at least they give a **** about the low income earners and welfare recipients. And after Pearse's statement following the budget, I'm more inclined now than before.

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    I'd like to see them get a few more seats, they're not going to get enough to make it into power, but its about time they either become a proper party in the South with well thought out policies, or they feck off back to the North.

Them getting a few seats is not suddenly going to implant useable policies into their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

So what political party will you be voting for Terry? Or in the light of them being indo, who will you be voting for?

Who is "me" in Terry terms?

I'm Terry. I will be on the ballot for Kildare North as an independent.

As for SF, it's crap like this which will keep them out of office for many years to come.

Yeah, it's most likely RIRA, but the association with SF is still implied in the minds of most people.
    As long as those nuts up North keep trying to kill each other over crap that happened hundreds of years ago, SF will never be fully respected in the Republic.

****ing religion. The cause of most wars on this planet. Well, that and the idiots who think their God is the best. Childish cúnts.

I'm Terry. I will be on the ballot for Kildare North as an independent.

As for SF, it's crap like this which will keep them out of office for many years to come.

Yeah, it's most likely RIRA, but the association with SF is still implied in the minds of most people.
    As long as those nuts up North keep trying to kill each other over crap that happened hundreds of years ago, SF will never be fully respected in the Republic.

****ing religion. The cause of most wars on this planet. Well, that and the idiots who think their God is the best. Childish cúnts.

Under what name will you be standing so? I like the cut of your jib?

Or are you messing?

dotsman wrote: »
    And their method of trying to achieve that was to murder anybody who stood in their way, be they man, woman or child.
    Granted their involvement after c. 1923 isn't something that i agree with but the party was founded with the goal of getting independance from Britain - whom also weren't very innocent on the killing side of things either.

OK, now this makes absolutely no sense. All they do is "go against the government". They had to be thrown out of all-party talks the other day because Doherty didn't understand the concept of intelligent dialogue, preferring instead to act like a spoilt 5 year old who didn't get his way. And they by no means have legitimate policies. That is what everybody is laughing about. They haven't a clue! I mean, Labour are pretty poor on the policy front, but compared to Sinn Fein, they look like the most intelligent, coherent intellects ever. If you were to hand Sinn Fein complete control of the country tomorrow, by the weekend, the entire country would collapse.

P.S. What also matters now is their continued attitude to murder, violence, theft and intimidation. Despite "offically" declaring a cease-fire, they are still very much involved in criminal/terrorist activity.

I was referring to Labour and FG, when i said all they do is go against the government. IMO, it's an inherent failure of politics in this country (and alot of others also i presume) when the opposition go against the government, just because they are the government - it actually makes no sence whatsoever. SF, even though they are the opposition have sided with the government on a few occasions over the last few years. That doesn't make them right - but it makes me think they have more independant thinking that some of the other parties.

I don't think Sinn Fein are involved in illegal activites anymore - i would doubt it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The whole dragging a mother of 10 out of her house in front of her children, cutting her fingers off before shooting her in the head because they "accused" her of giving aid to a dying British soldier thing sort of puts me off you know? I'm funny like that. Or blowing up some children in Liverpool. Or shooting 2 guards in cold blood in Adare. Despite what FF or anyone else may have done a 100 years ago, these are recent memories for me and I see the same people involved in SF now as were there condoning these acts.

Besides their bat**** insane economic policies which is a good enough reason to ignore them.

This was in 2005:
    Sinn Fein's Mitchel McLaughlin has rejected calls to resign over remarks he made about an IRA murder victim.

The party chairman said the killing of Jean McConville - one of the Disappeared - was not a criminal act.

"Of course I won't resign, I'm entitled to my view in this respect," he said.

The Sinn Fein member also agreed with a remark that the IRA was "the only legitimate government of Ireland".

hmmm wrote: »
    The whole dragging a mother of 10 out of her house in front of her children, cutting her fingers off before shooting her in the head because they "accused" her of giving aid to a dying British soldier thing sort of puts me off you know? I'm funny like that. Or blowing up some children in Liverpool. Or shooting 2 guards in cold blood in Adare. Despite what FF or anyone else may have done a 100 years ago, these are recent memories for me and I see the same people involved in SF now as were there condoning these acts.

Besides their bat**** insane economic policies which is a good enough reason to ignore them.

This was in 2005:

"We have not asked for a bail out"

• Advertisement

Putting aside all the "they are our counties" stuff and focusing on the parts that actually affect us. The north costs the British exchequer huge sums every year. Where do you propose we find the money to subsidise it? consdering the 26 counties we already have are running at a huge loss as it is. Just the actual changeover from British to Irish rule would cost Billions on day 1, never mind when we actually have to pay for stuff to make the place run.
    Admittedly, it's just something that i'd love to see happen than i legitimately think will actually happen, but there are clauses in the Good Friday Agreement for it to happen someday so who knows?

Granted their involvement after c. 1923 isn't something that i agree with but the party was founded with the goal of getting independance from Britain - whom also weren't very innocent on the killing side of things either.

No one responsible for killing on the British side is looking for our votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

People are going to vote FG/FF or for some other party that will form a government with FG or FF. I've come to realise that ~70% of the people of this country are just cunts.

No one responsible for killing on the British side is looking for our votes.
    That's not really the point though is it? Fianna Fail have historically been the biggest party in the country and their not clean in that regard are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i am going to give them a preference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I don't think Sinn Fein are involved in illegal activites anymore - i would doubt it really.

ha, yea right. There's plenty of proof out there if you go looking for it.
    I know of one councillor in a scummy part of Dublin who used to call round to shops with some of his larger, heavier supporters in the area to make sure that "area insurance" money was paid every month.....but that's probably legal in the Fingal area.

Oh and re: OP, no, never, not in a million years, a relation of mine was held-up during an IRA robbery a few years back, there's no way I'd ever vote for cúnts connected with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Perhaps so, perhaps not. However, if Ian Paisley's party can continue to share power with Sinn Féin throughout all of the above I find ostensibly moral reservations from non-unionists on the issue of sharing power with Sinn Féin to be unconvincing, to be euphemistic about it.

That's not really the point though is it?

Yes, it very much is. What British leaders or soldiers did has little relavence to the discussions. What SF leaders that are now looking for us to vote for them did, does.

Yes, it very much is. What British leaders or soldiers did has little relavence to the discussions. What SF leaders that are now looking for us to vote for them did, does.
    Of course it's relevant, we were at war back then. No?

Of course it's relevant, we were at war back then. No?

No.

Stick your address up here, I'll declare war on you then come around and murder your family. We're all cool though, cos I said we were at war.

No.
    Ah, ok, so they just called it the War of Independance for nothing eh?:rolleyes:

Stick your address up here, I'll declare war on you then come around and murder your family. We're all cool though, cos I said we were at war.
    That's a farcical statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

yes I would sinn feins ira links bother as much as the fine labour fine gael ira links

Ah, ok, so they just called it the War of Independance for nothing eh?:rolleyes:

ah I see what happened there, I said the guys responsible for killings are now looking for our votes so you correctly deduced that the leaders from 90 years ago are now running in the next general election. There is of course no way I was talking about the IRA leaders that are responsible for killing innocent people from the 70's until very recently.:rolleyes:

If only I'd been very clear about that in a couple of posts on this particular thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Would i vote for Sinn Fein?

• Advertisement
Advertisement