Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you vote Sinn Fein for the election?

14567810»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    If our banks hit the floor and default on everything what sort of damage would that do to europes banks? No doubt they would suffer, could it tip spain over the edge in knock on effects?

Hard to tell really because it has never been allowed to happen in modern history.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭annoyingbeast

Sinn Fein stand for people, and thats what we need, they have sound economic policy's, their opposition try to say they're crazy etc. but I've read them and they're not, their stable policy's that can work, they're focused on job creation, and above all they love their country and the people in it. everyone.

im going to vote for them. because labour aren't really left wing

although i would like to see a stronger stance on immigration

i'd also like to ask what political party is actually for immigration caps???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sinn Fein stand for people, and thats what we need, they have sound economic policy's, their opposition try to say they're crazy etc. but I've read them and they're not, their stable policy's that can work, they're focused on job creation, and above all they love their country and the people in it. everyone.

Please read this and comment on whether you think they're sound.

As for immigration, what kind of "stronger stance" are you looking for?

Sinn Fein stand for people

They really don't. They are the half of the ex-IRA terrorists who got a taste of political power rather than organised crime like the other half did.

If they get in they will make us an absolutely untouchable proposition for foreign investment, it'll be our utter destruction. They are the worst possible thing that could happen to the country at this point in history.

Just for the record i'll probably be voting for Labour but i am open to changing my mind as i learn more about the other parties policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

They really don't. They are the half of the ex-IRA terrorists who got a taste of political power rather than organised crime like the other half did.

If they get in they will make us an absolutely untouchable proposition for foreign investment, it'll be our utter destruction. They are the worst possible thing that could happen to the country at this point in history.

Just for the record i'll probably be voting for Labour but i am open to changing my mind as i learn more about the other parties policies.
    Thats rubbish, SF have stood up for the Irish people time and time again, no one works harder on a local level than SF do.

• Advertisement

Thats rubbish, SF have stood up for the Irish people time and time again, no one works harder on a local level than SF do.

The last thing we need is "local level" government. The parish pump is what got us where we are. Don't vote for the person, vote for the national policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

The last thing we need is "local level" government. The parish pump is what got us where we are. Don't vote for the person, vote for the national policies.

i think you misinterpreted what mr. tone was saying. in that they put in the ground work, very approachable with any issues constituents might have

aDeener wrote: »
    i think you misinterpreted what mr. tone was saying. in that they put in the ground work, very approachable with any issues constituents might have

So, the parish pump then. "Fix our potholes and get me a medical card" rather than "Fix our economy and get me a job".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

So, the parish pump then. "Fix our potholes and get me a medical card" rather than "Fix our economy and get me a job".
    No, if they take that work ethic and work for national issues in the same way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

No, if they take that work ethic and work for national issues in the same way......

i.e. if they take their current political model and do the opposite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

is that what i said? forgive me but looking back on my post it appears i didn't say such a thing, perhaps in my old age my eyes are beginning to fail me and indeed my memory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Sinn Fein stand for people, and thats what we need,
    All governments (in theory) stand for people. The ones that promise quick fixes in order to gain votes do not have the people's best interests at heart. Sinn Fein policies are targeted at those that don't know what is going but like to hear things like 'Down with the banks' and 'Job creation'. It's dishonest of them because there is no way in which they can implement all these policies. They've been caught out numerous times on this, quite dramatically in that interview with Adams/RTE.

What we need now is a government that is not afraid to piss off the public and will make the necessary cuts to get us out of this mess. It's not what 'the people' want to hear, but it's the best for us in the long run and that's a gvernment that stands for people.
    they have sound economic policy's
    No, they don't. They want to default on the loans and tell the IMF to get out of Ireland. Did you not hear the radio interview Gerry Adams gave? They are plucking policies out of the air in an attempt to grab votes with absolutely no theory behind it all.
    , their opposition try to say they're crazy etc.
    They are not crazy I agree, they know what they are doing. Anyone who actually believes their BS is crazy though..
    but I've read them and they're not, their stable policy's that can work, they're focused on job creation, and above all they love their country and the people in it. everyone.
    They can be as 'focused on job creation' as much as they want, but if they pull the plug on the banks, the IMF and the bond holders then half this country will be queueing up for social welfare in 12 months that can't be paid out... and Gerry can 'put it up' to the bond holders as much as he wants but they won't lend us a penny without insane interest rates that will leave us utterly bankrupt for many generations to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In a twisted way, I'd love to see them in Government and actually have to enact their plans!

Would be a massive let down for their supporters but maybe teach a reality lesson to some.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ocallagh wrote: »
    They can be as 'focused on job creation' as much as they want, but if they pull the plug on the banks, the IMF and the bond holders then half this country will be queueing up for social welfare in 12 months that can't be paid out...

Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say that you believe the banks will survive without a right-wing government at the helm? The IMF deal is done.. The best any party, left or right can do; is renegotiate the terms.

The bond holders which you seemingly fear reprisal from, can be burned.. or at least made to swallow some of their own incurred losses.. they took a risk and now it's us & the IMF who are bailing them out.. and it will continue that way as long as people believe that it can't be changed.

Where do you see us, our banks or our soon-to-be-leader's policies in 12 to 24 months time? If Spain follows in our footsteps what will the impact be here?

If the only parties which appear to be outspoken against the current model happen to be leftist then it isn't the people voting for them who are crazy.. it's those who refuse to acknowledge the points raised simply because of the political standing of those espousing them, regardless of how much sense it makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The country hasn't been paying it's way for years, it has been using credit to get by. I don't mean everyone is putting everything on credit cards, what I mean is this.

Everybody rushed out and bought a new house, pushing the price of houses up. 12% of all these purchases went into state funds by way of stamp duty. House prices go up, meaning everyone has large amounts of equity, so they all rush out and buy a new, vastly more expensive house and as the bank gave them more than they needed, they bought a new Audi A3 and a 40" plasma tv. Again, another 12% stamp duty, 15% vrt and 21% vat going into government coffers.

Government created thousands of overpaid public sector jobs, meaning more people have money to burn, so they go and get a mortgage and buy a second property to rent it out to Polish builders. even more stamp duty.

Government create schemes to help the buy to let market, pushing prices up further, meaning even more stamp duty into the pot. More Poles move over to help build all these houses, therefore more demand, prices go up, people have more equity, can borrow more so buy another apartment to rent out. even more stamp duty.

Government cut tax and up the minimum wage, so people can borrow more to spend on houses and cars.

Effectively, people were borrowing money from the banks and 12 to 15% was ending up straight into government funds as either stamp duty or VRT. And people claimed they were in a low tax economy.

Then the lines of credit dried up and people stopped buying houses and cars. the government lost it's two biggest sources of income. Then, because all the building stopped, all the Poles went home, so everyone with a second or third property had no one to lend to.

But, apparently, this is all the fault of the German, British and French banks, so they should pay for it?

The truth is very different to the story you're painting here. I don't need to point it out to you though, because you know that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say that you believe the banks will survive without a right-wing government at the helm? The IMF deal is done.. The best any party, left or right can do; is renegotiate the terms.

The bond holders which you seemingly fear reprisal from, can be burned.. or at least made to swallow some of their own incurred losses.. they took a risk and now it's us & the IMF who are bailing them out.. and it will continue that way as long as people believe that it can't be changed.

Where do you see us, our banks or our soon-to-be-leader's policies in 12 to 24 months time? If Spain follows in our footsteps what will the impact be here?

If the only parties which appear to be outspoken against the current model happen to be leftist then it isn't the people voting for them who are crazy.. it's those who refuse to acknowledge the points raised simply because of the political standing of those espousing them, regardless of how much sense it makes.

I don't really care about the bondholders.

What happens the ordinary deposit holder?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whadyasay

Everyone else has done such a splendid job to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kennedy35

Maybe when the party isnt run by the actual people responsible for huge atrocities it might be time to think about moving on. Certain people should be rotting in jail, not otu canvassign for votes, and worse, getting them.

I presume you're talking about Fianna Fail and the Greens. Don't forget that without Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness, the Good Friday agreement woild never have happened.
    Nothing excuses atrocities but bear in mind the number of people who have commit suicide since the government used our money to pay off their friends' gambling debts.
    What about Michael Noonan hounding and threatening Bridget Mc Cole as she lay dying during the Hep C scandal.
    c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

squod wrote: »
    The truth is very different to the story you're painting here. I don't need to point it out to you though, because you know that already.

Is it? Not from where I'm sat it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Center Right Wing politics has destroyed this country. Think about that for a moment.
    Putting in another side of the same coin will not change much.
    The gravy train that is Irish politics will keep on rolling.

Right wing politics is still and will remain in bed with big business. You and I will continue to pay for their greed for many years to come, our children will be forced to leave this country so that the billionaries of Ireland and Europe can maintain their status.

We are being used to prop up the banks of Germany and France, we were given a bailout so as to save the European banking system, a system that is in trouble because they kept throwing money at failing banks in this country. This debt is now yours and mine because right wing politicians decided to save their mates.

They are going to take your tax money and continue to throw it into the this black hole so as not to expose the bond holders that are raping this country.

I watched my mothers heart break back in 1988 as I was forced to emigrate and I dread the day I may be in that position with my own kids.

This is what right wing politics has brought us back to. Think of that when you open your next pay slip or have to collect your dole, those reductions are to balance the books because of the fcuk-ups of right wing politicians. Do they care?

Yes for the next 3 weeks they do because they are all presently interviewing for inclusion on the gravy train which inculdes a base salary of 92K. Think of this when you are at the end of the month are paying paying your mortgage in full for a house worth half you are paying for it but will end up paying 3 times as much because the bank that lent you the money in the first place wants an increase on the percentage of interest you are paying. All this while you are struggling to pay for heat and light and food. think of that when you are trying to keep petrol in your car so you can go to your job so your salary can be handed over to the banks.

Right wing politicians have failed us as a nation because to them only a few are important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It is greed that has undone this country, not necessarily right wing politics (although that us a contributing factor).

Greed in all forms, whether it is the dodgey politician, the greedy developer or the union rep demanding more and more for their members. People wanted to get rich quick and ignored the basics that you have to work hard for it.

A bit if left wing back to basics won't hurt, but that can't involve leaving tens if thousands high and dry by pulling the rug on the banks.

And please, stop with poor Paddy bailing out Europe rubbish. It is not true and just looks like people trying to blame everyone but themselves.

Kasabian wrote: »

Think of this when you are at the end of the month are paying paying your mortgage in full for a house worth half you are paying for it but will end up paying 3 times as much because the bank that lent you the money in the first place wants an increase on the percentage of interest you are paying. All this while you are struggling to pay for heat and light and food. think of that when you are trying to keep petrol in your car so you can go to your job so your salary can be handed over to the banks.

You do realise that it is a minority of people who are in this situation? The way a lot of the posters on here are talking everybody foolishly congo-lined their way into stupidly high-value 110% mortgages and are now struggling to pay them back.

Not everyone did that. Some people had the intelligence to either *gasp* borrow what they could afford :eek: or wait until house prices actually calmed down and not borrow until then.

If you're using some peoples stupidity and boomtime greed to justify voting a bunch of ex-murderers into power then we deserve everything we get when that happpens.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭iffy_2007

We are in that big of a mess we are screwed whatever way we vote. So fed up of listening to them doses on the telly fight over each other. All I would like is a Government who have a set of balls to stand up and make the right decisions/cuts that have to be made. Sure it might be crap to live in Ireland for the next four/five years but if it helped the country in the long run. Sein Fein have the right idea in hitting the big boys with the big bucks who got us into this fine mess. I would cap everybody in the states pay at €100,000 regardless of who you are. The wages in this country paid out to some people is a joke. I would try and tackle immigration, I know that this would be a difficult one with the E.U breathing down your necks but when they are getting the dole, getting paid cash in hand and sending the money home its no use to the state. The only reason people come into this country is because of the welfare. We need big decisions to take the country out of this and a Government with big enough balls to do it, less of the you scratch my back, i scratch yours era of Ahern/Cowen!!!

It is greed that has undone this country, not necessarily right wing politics (although that us a contributing factor).

Greed in all forms, whether it is the dodgey politician, the greedy developer or the union rep demanding more and more for their members. People wanted to get rich quick and ignored the basics that you have to work hard for it.

A bit if left wing back to basics won't hurt, but that can't involve leaving tens if thousands high and dry by pulling the rug on the banks.

And please, stop with poor Paddy bailing out Europe rubbish. It is not true and just looks like people trying to blame everyone but themselves.

All facilitated by right wing politicians.

Yes we are assisting in bailing out Europe because we have had right wing politicians showing and continuing to show no back bone.

There was and still remains no reason for us to guarantee the bond holders , but this was done by the outgoing bunch to protect their mates whose "relationships" were formed in a tent in Galway. They have taken big business debt and sold our sovernity to appease the bon holders who will have no burden in this.

You agree left wing back to basics is needed ?

You do realise that it is a minority of people who are in this situation? The way a lot of the posters on here are talking everybody foolishly congo-lined their way into stupidly high-value 110% mortgages and are now struggling to pay them back.

Not everyone did that. Some people had the intelligence to either *gasp* borrow what they could afford :eek: or wait until house prices actually calmed down and not borrow until then.

If you're using some peoples stupidity and boomtime greed to justify voting a bunch of ex-murderers into power then we deserve everything we get when that happpens.

Yes I realise that is in this situation atm but long term I think you will find that the minority will grow in numbers. There is still a level of shame in Ireland into adnmitting you have a problem with debt, this will too disappear ion time as more and more people realise they have to face the inevitable truth.

Yes alot of people also were smart enough to only borrow what they could afford. Thankfully I was one of them but what you could afford in 2004 is not what you can afford today. The banks, the regulaor allowed a bubble to expand while all the time Charlie Mc Creevy and Bertie, were arranging their retirement funds from the gravy train. Reductions in taxes and free money was the illusion these people advocated for all, propped up by tax breaks for their developer mates.

All this while they knew, ignored the advice that the paymasters would come calling.

Advertisement