Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you vote Sinn Fein for the election?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Icelands drop in unemployment seems to be down to an aluminium facility and energy resources.

We do have energy resources for wind energy and others that could be developed today, but we have an inept Government and poor planning regulations. So their decrease is down to resources, not the EU or Euro.

I wish people would look into these things more and stop just seeing figures and going bad EU, bad Euro.

Iceland Review Online: Daily News from Iceland, Current Affairs, Business, Politics, Sports, Culture

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WhoDat

I'm going to give them a vote, maybe not first preference, but I'll give them something. Like someone said before, they're one of the few who actually care about the people that are getting the real kicking in this recession. Unlike the three main parties, they are actually giving preference to the low income and working class section of society rather than prioritising and pandering to the rich. Fianna Fáil have let everyone down, Labour have no gall whatsoever, and Fine Gael have even less (and I'll never vote for them while that spineless Kenny is in charge).

There's not a single inspiring party or politician out there, and that's the real problem with politics in this country. Not one among them can offer a good idea, they just recycle the same ideas over and over. However, Sinn Féin appeal to me as someone from a working class background. I'm not going to vote for a party that doesn't care about people like me, and Sinn Féin do and they do great work on the ground. That's what swings it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

K-9 wrote: »
    Icelands drop in unemployment seems to be down to an aluminium facility and energy resources.

We do have energy resources for wind energy and others that could be developed today, but we have an inept Government and poor planning regulations. So their decrease is down to resources, not the EU or Euro.

I wish people would look into these things more and stop just seeing figures and going bad EU, bad Euro.

Iceland Review Online: Daily News from Iceland, Current Affairs, Business, Politics, Sports, Culture

Why wouldn't you look into that? That is the problem!!!

This is about why you would or wouldn't vote for Sinn Fein not the current idiots in government. We have resources to get the economy going again and that is what Sinn Fein are proposing.

If anyone should read up on things a little its you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

WhoDat wrote: »
    I'm going to give them a vote, maybe not first preference, but I'll give them something. Like someone said before, they're one of the few who actually care about the people that are getting the real kicking in this recession. Unlike the three main parties, they are actually giving preference to the low income and working class section of society rather than prioritising and pandering to the rich.

And what good will your vote do? the finance bill has been passed! SF are in favour of taxes to cuts at something like 4/1 - If they get in, they'll just introduce more taxes and make no cuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why wouldn't you look into that? That is the problem!!!

This is about why you would or wouldn't vote for Sinn Fein not the current idiots in government. We have resources to get the economy going again and that is what Sinn Fein are proposing.

If anyone should read up on things a little its you.

What's that got to do with the EU?

You said the reason Iceland decreased employment was because it is outside the EU.

Well from the link provided, not from something SF may or may not have told you or fits with your perception, that isn't true. They have used natural resources to do it.

The resources we have has got nothing to with the EU. It's the usual cheap shot at the EU, usually has no basis whatsoever.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Duh I dunno *scratches head* duh maybe they have something to do like duh, steer the country back from its current situation.:rolleyes:

Yeah, but the focus of this thread is Sinn Fein, not deflecting it onto other parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

In certain members of the party, yes I would vote for them (i.e. all the Donegal Sinn Féin candidates) but their general party views and leadership is a load of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

R0ot wrote: »
    In certain members of the party, yes I would vote for them (i.e. all the Donegal Sinn Féin candidates) but their general party views and leadership is a load of ****e.

As opposed to the economic policys of the right who have destroyed this country for a generation? Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Wibbs wrote: »

OK lets look at this. practically. Number 1. How would you set the value of the new currency? How would you finance it? Loans? oh.... right... sorry..... Pension fund(like some of the daft SF's say)? Great, so you get a year and then what? Country grinds to a halt and then you have to look for money from..... oh that's right. The banks? Nope you're a crap short medium term risk and you've burned them already. The EU? Oh well you've really burned them and after all the did for you. Sounds great, leave the euro restructure the banks but it just doesnt add up.

The government prints it's own debt free money and control of the money supply is taking away from the banks and given back to the government, banks should be modelled on banks such as the Bank of North Dakota in America, all profits that are made goes to fund state projects. The Fractional Reserve system of lending is outlawed.
    This has been done throughout the history of America and worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    As opposed to the economic policys of the right who have destroyed this country for a generation? Give me a break.

No over the idea of a united Ireland at this point in time would ever work again, sure that's what we need a million more people to support. As with most of the current political parties; ditch the current leadership and get some fresh blood in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

No over the idea of a united Ireland at this point in time would ever work again, sure that's what we need a million more people to support. As with most of the current political parties; ditch the current leadership and get some fresh blood in there.

Ahem! Waves to 1 million homeless welfare recipients in the Six Counties. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Massive wages for public servants, bailouts left right and centre and some of the highest social welfare rates in Europe is not right wing politics :) Don't give us this left wing guff that somehow "we haven't been doing it right", how about we elect a government that doesn't tax working people into the ground to pay for bloated government and the legion of scroungers that leech off the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

The only thing SF are is a bogeyman for the Indo/Sindo to use to get votes for their FF masters.

Sinn Féin is certainly the bogeyman for that group. But I think it's a bit deeper than a Fianna Fáil connection. Just think of the people who have written for those rags: Cruise O Brien, Hugh Leonard (of the infamous Late Late ambush on Gerry Adams in 1994) Dudley-Edwards, Harris, Myers and many others.

They don't need to be doing it for Fianna Fáil. If they hadn't Sinn Féin as bogeymen their world would be in crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

That "late late ambush" is terrific viewing, Adams does very well in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Crosáidí wrote: »
    The government prints it's own debt free money and control of the money supply is taking away from the banks and given back to the government, banks should be modelled on banks such as the Bank of North Dakota in America, all profits that are made goes to fund state projects. The Fractional Reserve system of lending is outlawed.
    Ahh god this is really pie in the sky stuff and why the shinners(and the dafter leftists) would be a bloody disaster.

OK Print our own "debt free" money? How do you value it? Simple question. Gold reserve? We don't have any. Against our reserves and future earnings. Decided by the same outside economic factors that we've just burned by defaulting? Nope again. We've remarkably little to offer. Maybe just invent a figure out of thin air with nothing to back it? Riiight. Must try that next time I'm in the shops. "Hello good sir, can I pay by Wibbians? I make it 20 euro to the Wibbian. :D Trust me, we go down that route we'll be paying 10,000 Gaelopunts for a sliced pan then. How will we feed ourselves, never mind anything else? But sure it'll be the workers paradise then. Not.

Bank of North dakota? Yep, but it does not, nor has ever operated in a vacuum. North Dakota is also a very different economic situation to Ireland Again with the apple and oranges comparisons. OK simple reason why that plan is daft? What currency does the Bank of North Dakota trade in, use and rely on for overall confidence? Oh yeaaaa thats right, the mighty dollar. The bank is not issuing it's own currency. That makes a huge effin difference Ted. Yet you're suggesting that we leave our version of the mighty dollar, the euro? As a theory it starts to fall apart like a leper in a centrifuge.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

Poll is interesting. Alot more people willing to vote for them?

Labour - sinn fein maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Christ almighty.

You just single handedly solved world wide debt.

Why has no one else thought of this!?

Christ almighty.

You just single handedly solved world wide debt.

Why has no one else thought of this!?

eh... they have read the post again

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ahh god this is really pie in the sky stuff and why the shinners(and the dafter leftists) would be a bloody disaster.

OK Print our own "debt free" money? How do you value it? Simple question. Gold reserve? We don't have any. Against our reserves and future earnings. Decided by the same outside economic factors that we've just burned by defaulting? Nope again. We've remarkably little to offer. Maybe just invent a figure out of thin air with nothing to back it? Riiight. Must try that next time I'm in the shops. "Hello good sir, can I pay by Wibbians? I make it 20 euro to the Wibbian. :D Trust me, we go down that route we'll be paying 10,000 Gaelopunts for a sliced pan then. How will we feed ourselves, never mind anything else? But sure it'll be the workers paradise then. Not.

Bank of North dakota? Yep, but it does not, nor has ever operated in a vacuum. North Dakota is also a very different economic situation to Ireland Again with the apple and oranges comparisons. OK simple reason why that plan is daft? What currency does the Bank of North Dakota trade in, use and rely on for overall confidence? Oh yeaaaa thats right, the mighty dollar. The bank is not issuing it's own currency. That makes a huge effin difference Ted. Yet you're suggesting that we leave our version of the mighty dollar, the euro? As a theory it starts to fall apart like a leper in a centrifuge.

I've nothing to do with them, in fact i've never voted for either. So please do not put me in with them

For 600 years, sticks were used to pay taxes in England, they were currency, they had no commodity backing them only the king's word that they had to be used for paying taxes, yet they where used without a problem, Abraham Lincoln printed his own currency, it had no commodity backing, the backing lied in the trust that the people would accept it as legal tender for goods and services which they did and America prospered in the years after.
    "Colonial Script" was used in America before the War of Independence and the subsequent confiscation of that currency by West Minster led tothe War of Independence

Lincoln printed $400 million worth of Greenbacks (lincoln's debt-free money), money that he delegated to be created, a debt-free and interest-free money to finance the American Civil War. It served as legal tender for all debts, public and private. He printed it, paid it to the soldiers, to the U.S. Civil Service employees, and bought supplies for war.
    Shortly after that happened, "The London Times" printed the following:

"if that mischievous financial policy, which had its origin in the North American Republic, should become indurated down to a fixture, then that Government will furnish its own money without cost. It will pay off debts and be without a debt. It will have all the money necessary to carry on its commerce. It will become prosperous beyond precedent in the history of the civilized governments of the world. The brains and the wealth of all countries will go to North America. That government must be destroyed, or it will destroy every monarchy on the globe."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I'd vote FF before voting SF.

Same here. I'm voting FF, then SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Gabrieljf

I do not support any particular party and have been very dismayed with the crumbling government we have suffered under, especially for the past 3 years and since the Global financial explosion first erupted and with devastating effect.
    I congradulate Michael Martin on his sucess on becoming the Leader of Finnia Fail wish him well, his apology however although he was not Leader then it is three years late.
    It was three years ago we needed a regime change no matter who succeeded it was then an apology from our then leaders of all parties and an accord for solidarity and timed unity of purposes informing and also seeking the help available from within the nation.
    We the Nation are human beings we need to be informed as what is going on so that we can understand and maybe even help.
    Let the people nationwide now write directly to the Leaders of all the Parties and the Independants offering any suggestion you may consider wortjh examining to take us out of this quagmire
    Like all relationships if there is no communication there will be break down in objectives.
    We have suffered as a result of Political Dail Pensioner seekers prolonging the life of this administration to gain time to be entitled to a state political pension.
    All Political pensions currently being paid to former Ministers & TD who are under the age of 65 should be immediately stopped and particularly anyone who is presently serving (if that be the case)
    I have no wish to offend anyone but this just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

A million loyal unionists. Something Sinn Fein try to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

KeithAFC wrote: »
    A million loyal unionists. Something Sinn Fein try to ignore.

More like 600,000 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sinn Feinners v Me Feinners, I think the Me's win hands down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

Me Feinners

Meh, Feigners :p

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

To the OP, Yes i'll be voting for Sinn Féin. I have voted for them for the last 14yrs and will continue to support them, how many other voters can say they haven't jumped from one camp to the other. At least Sinn Féin have consistency.

More like 600,000 tbh.
    Would be more than that, without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I'm considering putting them down as number 2.Them or an Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/elections/i-dont-know-gerry-exposed-again-for-lack-of-basic-economic-knowledge-2512830.html
    'I don't know' -- Gerry exposed again for lack of basic economic knowledge

Gerry Adams was exposed again yesterday for his lack of basic economic knowledge as he continued to damage his party's credibility.

Mr Adams didn't know the impact of the cuts on child benefit or the VAT rate.

The latest gaffe came a day after he managed to create a €14bn black hole in the Sinn Fein economic plans by failing to say where the party would get the money from to run the country this year, as he proposed to abandon the EU-IMF bailout.

Mr Adams was caught out again yesterday when didn't know how much child benefit was being cut by this year.

"The cut in child benefit across social welfare if Fine Gael have their way will be €18 right across all of that.

"Everybody that's earning less than, ah, around 80pc is going to be hit by this new charge that they have ah brought in," he said.
    When asked by the BBC if he knew what child benefit was at present, he replied: "No I don't, no".

Turning to VAT, Mr Adams was asked what it will increase by.
    "Well, ah, we don't know that yet because it's all . . ." he said.
    Asked again if he knew the present VAT rate, he replied: "I don't, no".

The guy is a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

Well! Look at all the other parties recent history, sinn fein are the only ones who have actually achieved something significant. I.e. The north.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

pavcro10 wrote: »
    Well! Look at all the other parties recent history, sinn fein are the only ones who have actually achieved something significant. I.e. The north.

And what exacty did they achieve there?

It's still a horribly divided sectarian dump.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For 600 years, sticks were used to pay taxes in England, they were currency, they had no commodity backing them only the king's word that they had to be used for paying taxes, yet they where used without a problem, Abraham Lincoln printed his own currency, it had no commodity backing, the backing lied in the trust that the people would accept it as legal tender for goods and services which they did and America prospered in the years after.
    "Colonial Script" was used in America before the War of Independence and the subsequent confiscation of that currency by West Minster led tothe War of Independence
    You're jumping all over the place economic theory wise here. And leaving historical context completely out of it. What you suggest here would simply not work for any number of reasons. Shít we can go back to cowrie shells and spices if you like, but international markets are too ingrained and intertwined that we would be going it alone. This is not the same as the bank of north dakota, nor the US of A 200 years ago. The former is backed by the huge resources and currency of the latter and the latter(certainly back then) had a significant value and international confidence. This little island would not. Fine if you wanna live in Cuba, minus the sexy dancing, funky 50's cars, decent health service and sun(though we might retain the beardy autocrat).
    pavcro10 wrote:
    Ditto for the Unionist parties, various UK parties(90% Labour), John Hume and his mates and yep even the Fianna Failers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

pavcro10 wrote: »
    A United Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Peace and stability, the 6 counties have come a long way in the last 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Peace and stability, the 6 counties have come a long way in the last 15 years.

Peace and stability indeed, but I am old enough to remember the IRA bombs & bullets up North being reported on the news every day, and every day I rember well the outright refusal of Sinn Fein to condemn the various atrocities, Sinn Fein supported the IRA, indeed some say that they were two sides of the same coin, so yes peace broke out in the end, after Sinn Fein & the IRA decided to call off their reign of death & destruction, but that certainly wouldn't warent giving them my vote.

Far too many people buried in the ground prematurely, and far too many going round in wheelchairs due to their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

It's still a horribly divided sectarian dump.

ever been there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

LordSutch wrote: »
    Peace and stability indeed, but I am old enough to remember the IRA bombs & bullets up North being reported on the news every day, and every day I rember well the outright refusal of Sinn Fein to condemn the various atrocities, Sinn Fein supported the IRA, indeed some say that they were two sides of the same coin, so yes peace broke out in the end, after Sinn Fein & the IRA decided to call off their reign of death & destruction, but that certainly wouldn't warent giving them my vote.

Far too many people buried in the ground prematurely, and far too many going round in wheelchairs due to their actions.

due to their actions.

i think you would need to brush up on your history of northern ireland from its foundation and you might come back with a more balanced view

then again in your case probably not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

:rolleyes:

I remember just fine thanks, they (SF) failed on a daily basis to condemn what their brothers in the IRA did, and whether it was a bomb here, or a bomb their, (with bits & pieces of people being scraped off the pavement), or a police man shot dead at his hall door, it was never condemned by Sinn Fein, thats way they were/are despised soo much, and thats why when they call to my hall door they will get short shrift from me - verbally.

LordSutch wrote: »

They only went down the peace route because they knew they could not force the loyalist people into a state they didn't want to be a part of. 30 years to reach an objective and they failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Its funny how some people cant move on from the troubles,still at war they are.Blaming sinn fein for everything that happend during irelands violent history,not forgetting fianna fail,fianna gael, even labour all have violence at their foundations:rolleyes:

If sinn fein didnt exist we would probably have the provos still going around up to their usual business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Terry wrote: »
    No. They only want to deal with those on low incomes, as opposed to FF and FG who only want to deal with builders, bankers, farmers and people from D4.
    I'd rather vote for someone who treats all people equally. That's why I'll be voting for me.

Terry for Taoiseach !!!

jeez, that's even catchy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Its funny how some people cant move on from the troubles,still at war they are.Blaming sinn fein for everything that happend during irelands violent history,not forgetting fianna fail,fianna gael, even labour all have violence at their foundations:rolleyes:.

Slight difference. Not two years ago Martin Ferris TD was welcoming Garda killers out of prison. When SF leave the past behind, people will start looking at them in a new light. As long as they are up to their necks in appeasing criminals then no. :rolleyes:

prinz wrote: »
    Slight difference. Not two years ago Martin Ferris TD was welcoming Garda killers out of prison. When SF leave the past behind, people will start looking at them in a new light. As long as they are up to their necks in appeasing criminals then no. :rolleyes:

wasnt most if not all of the prisoners released under terms of the good friday agreement greeted with cheers as they left prison?people didnt mind seeing them released as it meant peace could be achieveed,so tell me why these prisoners are looked upon different?is it because the victim was from the south?

why highlight these prisoners and not the other ones?

why highlight these prisoners and not the other ones?

It's not really relevant to your point is it? SF either want a break from the past or they don't, you can't have it both ways.

It's not really relevant to your point is it? SF either want a break from the past or they don't, you can't have it both ways.

i think its pretty clear they do due to their refusal to support republican prisoners in jail at the moment,their acceptance of the RUC/PSNI,their condoning of dissident groups and their taking of seats in stormont,the list goes on.

sinn fein are no longer associated with any viloonce-FACT.

• Advertisement

sinn fein are no longer associated with any viloonce-FACT.

Ah right, just elected TD's meeting and greeting killers then and acting as a mouthpiece for them.

is it because the victim was from the south?

No, it's because they're scum. (the prisoners, that is).

Ah right, just elected TD's meeting and greeting killers then and acting as a mouthpiece for them.

you know exactly what i meant,they are no way associated with any group carrying out violent acts NOW.

you know exactly what i meant,they are no way associated with any group carrying out violent acts NOW.
    Say's who?

No, it's because they're scum. (the prisoners, that is).

did you vote yes to the GFA?

if so you voted for "scum" to be released from prison.

people voted yes because they wanted peace but had to pay a few consequences.cant have it both ways.living in the past and calling sinn fein murdering scum will achieve nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement