Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you vote Sinn Fein for the election?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Say's who?

IMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

i think its pretty clear they do due to their refusal to support republican prisoners in jail at the moment,their acceptance of the RUC/PSNI,their condoning of dissident groups and their taking of seats in stormont,the list goes on.

sinn fein are no longer associated with any viloonce-FACT.
    RUC... give me a break. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

After hearing baron gerry adams lack of economic knowledge in his last few interviews never mind what has gone on in the past I for one will not be voting for s/f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

did you vote yes to the GFA?
    if so you voted for "scum" to be released from prison.
    people voted yes because they wanted peace but had to pay a few consequences.cant have it both ways.living in the past and calling sinn fein murdering scum will achieve nothing.

Can you not grasp the difference between people getting out of prison and elected politicians being outside to meet them? Especially the killers of a member of the legitimate police force of this country? Voting for the GFA did not mean a carte blanche for political parties to throw released prisoners a party afterwards. SF want a clean break from the past? Let released prisoners find their own way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

dicknorris wrote: »
    After hearing baron gerry adams lack of economic knowledge in his last few interviews never mind what has gone on in the past I for one will not be voting for s/f

tis true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

id vote for them in local elections.... dont trust em to run a country tho... we'd probably end up invading england.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd rather spoil my vote than vote for Sinn Féin.

What have other parties got to do with it?
    Don't

SF have in the past suggested / claimed that spoilt votes were for them.

(I really resent the hijacking and taking credit for of the IRA name / public marches / lots of things that they had little or no part in by them .)

Best thing to do is to vote for EVERYONE ELSE and leave the SF box empty. This ensures that no matter how many counts there are your vote is always against them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

McWilliams says Doherty makes sense on one point. Screw the bondholders. Mentions nothing about any of the other daft fiscal policies of SF.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Wibbs wrote: »
    McWilliams says Doherty makes sense on one point. Screw the bondholders. Mentions nothing about any of the other daft fiscal policies of SF.

VS taking on massive loans we can't afford for the benefit of someone else while simultaneously doing nothing to stimulate the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Wibbs wrote: »

It's the most important policy/decision ever in the history of the state, default on the debt or we'll face a generation of emigration and a significant rise in poverty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

Crosáidí wrote: »
    It's the most important policy/decision ever in the history of the state, default on the debt or and we'll face a generation of emigration and a significant rise in poverty

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Crosáidí wrote: »
    It's the most important policy/decision ever in the history of the state, default on the debt or we'll face a generation of emigration and a significant rise in poverty
    Can some of the Sinn Fein supporters explain to me how we are going to finance this country long term if they were to get into power?

If you can provide a plausible answer then I will give Sinn Fein my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That is the €14 Billion question that Adams couldn't answer by the BBC.

Admittedly, he couldn't name our VAT rate either so he has a lot to learn before he addresses that point!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Why werent McCabes killers released under the GFA?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

As far as I know, they were specifically excluded by the Southern Government which was part of the agreement signed up to by SF.

The fact it was during a ceasefire and wasn't authorised probably meant they looked on it like an INLA operation.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Sorry, it wasn't during the ceasefire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

They weren't political prisoners. Their crime wasn't politically motivated, their target wasn't a legitimate political target and they operated without the knowledge of the council. They were simple thieves and murderers motivated by greed. The fact that they were members of the IRA is irrelevant. It's a shame Sinn Fein couldn't see this.

k_mac wrote: »
    They weren't political prisoners. Their crime wasn't politically motivated, their target wasn't a legitimate political target and they operated without the knowledge of the council. They were simple thieves and murderers motivated by greed. The fact that they were members of the IRA is irrelevant. It's a shame Sinn Fein couldn't see this.
    What would the money have been used for though?

• Advertisement

Probably to fund a new life for the brave lads involved in America. Possibly a for a sex change operation for Martin McGuinness. Maybe home heating in a wheelie bin, that's the new trend.

Bitches and Beer?

k_mac wrote: »
    Bitches and Beer?
    Weapons or something I would imagine. Which by extension would be politically motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If they had killed an RUC officer, or a metropolitan copper they would have been.

If they had killed an RUC officer, or a metropolitan copper they would have been.

Maybe if it was the exact same circumstances they mightn't. Still this was set out clearly to SF at all stages as far as I know, though Bertie did try and backtrack at one stage.

Weapons or something I would imagine. Which by extension would be politically motivated.

Unless of course they were to be used to rob another money delivery in Limerick. Anywho, got a point to all this?

• Advertisement

That's ridiculous. By that logic anyone could claim political status. "I was only selling drugs to raise money for the cause Judge".

Perhaps if they had committed the crime in NI they may have had a chance with that excuse.

prinz wrote: »
    Unless of course they were to be used to rob another money delivery in Limerick. Anywho, got a point to all this?
    I was just curious, people were let out under the GFA for equally terrible things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

VS taking on massive loans we can't afford for the benefit of someone else while simultaneously doing nothing to stimulate the economy.
    And as has been asked of SF and their supporters for a long time, what would SF do? How would they stimulate the economy? Right after they default from all the debt, walk away from the euro and invent a new currency out of thin air. Oh yes and throw away the pension fund while they're at it. You see the answer is either avoided or is so utterly mind numbingly daft as to beggar belief. Hell I set little enough store over the "SF are de IRaaaaaaa you know" guff. I'd happily do Adams and his cabinet and even give them a reacharound, if they actually had something approaching a logical non daft economic policy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭barnaclebill

I think a vote for Sinn Fein is about as good as any other. The only problem is that they are very inexperienced and I think if they got into government they wouldn't have the knowledge or experience to get us out of a recession. They definitely have the passion anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I think a vote for Sinn Fein is about as good as any other. The only problem is that they are very inexperienced and I think if they got into government they wouldn't have the knowledge or experience to get us out of a recession. They definitely have the passion anyway!

Considering Gerry was unable to tell the BBC the current Irish VAT rate they have a ways a ways to go before getting the votes of any intelligent people.

• Advertisement

Someone do a similar thread about FF would love to see and compare the poll results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

mimi7365 wrote: »
    Would I vote for Sinn Fein?

In the words of the Rev Ian Paisley..... NEVER, NEVER NEVER!!:D

Here's the video, just for the sake of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Sinn Fein are going to do well at the polls. You cannot assume that Adams & co. being hammered in an intelligent debate on economic policy would put people off voting for them. Why? Because Sinn Fein are, very cynically, targeting the lowest common denominator for votes. The kind of people who are impressed when they hear Sinn Fein candidates spouting rubbish like "we'll make those nasty bankers pay, sure it's their fault" and "we'll tell the IMF where to go" etc etc.

A lack of knowledge in key policy areas might be enough to dissuade a reasonable and intelligent person from voting Sinn Fein but, as we well know, this country is not fully populated with intelligent and reasonable people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That's what we really need right now, passion isn't it? We've had Biffo spitting all over interviewers for the past decade being "passionate".

How about a bit of economic competence for once? (very much excluding Gerry Adams).

As for "SF have brought peace to NI" that is laughable. It's like the local arsonist claiming credit for reducing the number of fires in an area by him going on holidays.

boogle wrote:
    Sinn Fein are going to do well at the polls. You cannot assume that Adams & co. being hammered in an intelligent debate on economic policy would put people off voting for them. Why? Because Sinn Fein are, very cynically, targeting the lowest common denominator for votes. The kind of people who are impressed when they hear Sinn Fein candidates spouting rubbish like "we'll make those nasty bankers pay, sure it's their fault" and "we'll tell the IMF where to go" etc etc.

A lack of knowledge in key policy areas might be enough to dissuade a reasonable and intelligent person from voting Sinn Fein but, as we well know, this country is not fully populated with intelligent and reasonable people.
    Nail hit squarely on the bloody head. Unless Boards is a really weird demographic, then a large chunk of the readers of voting age voted for FF last time out and were happy to give them a majority and damn near destroy FG in the process. Remember that? Yet a few years on FG are likely to lead the next gov on the back of votes by those same people who see FF as minions of the antichrist "and I nevaaah voted fer dem, I didn't".. I fcuking weep for the brains of a large chunk of the electorate TBH.
    No offence and sorry to mark you out bb, but where in that opinion is anything approaching a policy or decision to vote for them based on same? It's just the usual "ah shure they couldnt be as bad as the other mob[insert mob here. It varies], and shure haven't they the passion boss. That counts for something!". It really doesn't. Not without intelligence behind it. That's really dangerous thinking.

SF wont get into government anyway and if the do it will be a coalition so their policies cant be implemented, look at the north to see how they operate under restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I wont but I can see them doing very well in this election

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I wont but I can see them doing very well in this election

judging from that pole anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Yeah but in all fairness the majority of boards users are young'fellas and dont really know that much about Irish politics. I dont see 500+ people contributing to this thread, Id say a large proportion of the Sinn Feiners on these forums are not of voting age.

Up d'ra!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i think its pretty clear they do due to their refusal to support republican prisoners in jail at the moment
    at the moment:rolleyes:
    ,their acceptance of the RUC/PSNI,
    oh wow...
    their condoning of dissident groups
    condoning :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    and their taking of seats in stormont,the list goes on.
    Bowing to the inevitable. If you live in a democracy then violence for political ends cannot be justified.
    sinn fein are no longer associated with any viloonce-FACT.
    no longer which is tantamount to saying they were associated. At what point did the association end, bearing in mind that it's the same people at the top. Gerry Adams was elected president nearly 28 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Polls on here are always heavily Sinn Fein biased (in comparisson to reality), probably because of the young student types who are at that rebellious age, and when they get older thay will vote Fine Gael, Labour, or maybe even Fianna Fail (when they recover) :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

What rubbish, you think people not of voting age sign upto to the forum, and specifically see an election related thread, wander in and click SF for the laugh.

Thus, this poll bares no meaning. You've got to laugh, I mean to lengths some of the posters will go to put down SF and their growing support....:pac:

And to imply SF voters are immature is an insult. How you can sit there and call SF voters immature while gladly saying you will vote for FF, FG and Labour is truely laughable.

I maybe a younger student, but I will be voting SF, so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Me and many more.

DB10 wrote: »
    What rubbish, you think people not of voting age sign upto to the forum, and specifically see an election related thread, wander in and click SF for the laugh.

Not for the laugh, but because they're easily led.
    Thus, this poll bares no meaning. You've got to laugh, I mean to lengths some of the posters will go to put down SF and their growing support....:pac:

Yeah man, before the last election they were touted as gaining between twelve to fifteen seats :pac:
    And to imply SF voters are immature is an insult. How you can sit there and call SF voters immature while gladly saying you will vote for FF, FG and Labour is truely laughable.

Immature possibly? brainwashed & easily led YES.
    I maybe a younger student, but I will be voting SF, so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Me and many more.

I don't smoke a pipe (yet), but I know of student types who smoke those jazz cigarette thingies, which make them do all kinds of crazy things :D

Quite the smug chap arent we Sutch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think Sinn Fein voters are immature, but if someone is actually aware of their economic policies and still voluntarily gives them a vote then I can only come to the conclusion that they are just plain dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Getting heckled by internet warriors is par for the course, don't take them too seriously.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Not for the laugh, but because they're easily led.

Yeah man, before the last election they were touted as gaining between twelve to fifteen seats :pac:

Immature possibly? brainwashed & easily led YES.

I don't smoke a pipe (yet), but I know of student types who smoke those jazz cigarette thingies, which make them do all kinds of crazy things :D

1.Easily led by whom?

2. If you cannot see the difference between this and the last election then surely your opinion holds no merit. Clearly SF will have more seats, especially with the collapse of the leading party in the country, hardly rocket science.

3. Brainwashed, don't be ridiculous. Someone having a different opinion to you doesn't mean they are brainwashed.

In your view should SF be allowed register as a party? Do you want to silence them in some manner. I'm geniuinely interested.

Chill man, its Thursday evening, spot the smilies :)

And as for you Wolfe Tone, smug is it :confused: ah yes, the put down . . . . .yawn.

I don't think Sinn Fein voters are immature, but if someone is actually aware of their economic policies and still voluntarily gives them a vote then I can only come to the conclusion that they are just plain dumb.

Quite an insulting viewpoint you hold, to be expected really as the SF silencers resort to insults almost immediately.

IMO, Labours Economic Policy is crazy, and thus their voters are dumb in your own words.

And FF voters can only be described as dumb

FG policies are unclear, and hidden away such as their removal from their website. Their policies just like their leader Kenny, can be ripped to pieces quite easily so best pretend they arent there.

All dumb it seems

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Chill man, its Thursday evening, spot the smilies :)

And as for you Wolfe Tone, smug is it :confused: ah yes, the put down . . . . .yawn.

Fair enough, but your viewpoint is strikingly similar to alot of others who like to rubbish my and others views.

;)

Advertisement