Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a good price for the following?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi all, I am in my mid twenties and in the last few months I have been to the orthodontist. He has a reputation as being one of top orthodontists in my area, so bear this in mind when reading the following. Here are the issues.

1. My top teeth have a gap in the midde

2. I am missing a tooth on the left side two teeth in from the middle, leaving a nice big noticable gap. The tooth that was supposed to be there is actuallly down and crowed behind the next tooth, which now looks like a fang (the origional baby tooth fell out last year exposing the crowding.

3. On the other side the 2nd tooth from the middle- o(pposite to the other side where the tooth is missing), this is a baby tooth. The problem is that the full tooth is now in the gum waiting to come down, you can see it, waiting to pop out. its only a matter of time before it comes out the gum

The procedure that I have been offered is to get the 2 crowred teeth
    and get a spring device put in as a part of a retainer. They want me to have the baby tooth taken out before I get the retainer and are fitting a fake tooth in its place. Once the new tooth comes down (please god because if not it will have to be extracted), and the retainer period finished, they plan on fitting me with full top braces.

The orthodontist told me it was about one of the half a dozen cases he has seen in their 25 years of practise. Dont know if that will impact the price...

So the question I am asking is; How much would you consider to be a good price for this? Any input appreciated

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Sorry mate, I refer you to article three of the forum charter:
    "3) No threads about the relative cost of dental treatment allowed. Post in (Consumer Issues)"

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

Thanks for the reply and apologies for not reading the charter

Thanks for the reply, I will post in the consumer thread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you need to ask for a quote, then see if it is possible to get any of the cost from PRSI, VHI, tax, or anywhere else, then decide if you can afford it. Its a bit impossible to give a price suggestion here because every case is different, and it might be more or less complicated - just because is is not often seen doesn't mean it is more expensive.

If you decide you can't afford it you could look at going abroad or North. Obviously the problem with going abroad is that its a long way if you have any problems. Or you could ask another Orthodontist for a second opinion/alternative price, you would have to pay for a consultation though.

If the work is all cosmetic, just remember that it is probably far less noticeable to other people than it is to you. If it is necessary dental work then you may just have to accept the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I honestly don't think anybody here is qualified to give you an opinion on this. You need to get a quote and visit other dentists for some quotes. Try Newry as well, as their pricing structure is different to ours. Quality of work is also important and only you can decide on this.
    You'll potentially get lots of replies stating how much other people paid but you really can't compare different cases for this type of thing.

• Advertisement

thanks for the responses. The tax savings that I could make will bring down the cost anyway. Also it is fair to say that I could get different quotes.

I got my quite, 2300 for the full job. Sound reasonable? bear in mind no bottom braces, I am happy with this price but my friends think I shims go up north. I am almost certain I will go with it based on the orthodontists reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think many of us can tell whether or not that price is reasonable.

However, what we can tell you to do is to shop around. Visit another dentist and get a second quote. Perhaps visit a dentist in the North and get another quote.

Balance everything out, include time spent travelling etc, and then decide which one is the best value for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

It is best to keep travel to a minimum where healthcare is involved and the North is no longer cheaper than the south. Clinics that provide high volume and lower costs usually work out alot more expensive in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see that Tesco is selling a dental repair kit for about 10 or 11 Euro. A few of these and you're away. The strangest thing that I ever saw in a supermarket, but obviously well worth the time and effort.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Is this a consumer issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BrianD wrote: »
    Is this a consumer issue?

@BrianD - please use the Report Post functionality if you have a problem with a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,801 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

My suggestion, crazy as it may seem, would be to get two quotes and ask your regular dentist what he thinks.

For sure, this will cost you, in terms of a visit to the dentist, but he will be able to advise you much better than anyone on a discussion board can, even if he happens to be the worst dentist in the world, which I am sure he is not.

At the end of the day, remember this isn't only about the money, it's about getting the best possible job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

My child had something similar I think. A baby tooth was still in place while the adult tooth was coming down behind it in the roof of her mouth and at an angle. Luckily it was picked up in a routine check up around age 13 years. She had bit of surgery to make a track for the adult tooth to move. Then it was two years of upper brace and the rogue tooth being slowly pulled into the correct position. It meant visits to adjust the brace every 6 weeks and good oral hygeine. The cost was spread over two years and we got a tax rebate on same (now at standard rate) and I think VHI paid direct for the surgery. I think it was excellent work and was very happy with the treatment she received. She started with lovely set of teeth and now again perfect. It is amazing how things can be manipulated in the mouth and how good the healing is.

Advertisement