Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could anyone give me the lowdown on DBS?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I was thinking of applying but I've heard nothing but bad things about it. Just thought I'd get a second opinion on here. I've heard that it's like secondary school, and that the students are all D4 heads.... is anyone of this true? Or is it all just exagarrated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

I have two friends who go to DBS so i think im okay to comment on it, they both do psychology one wanted desperately to do psychology after he left school the other didnt know what he wanted so he kinda just followed the first into it. I dont particularly hold it in high regard because of the following my friend is quite high and mighty regarding the quality of the degree and how its accredited etc goin on about it being as good as say UCD or Trinity.

Heres the thing though his psychology course is only 3 years long as opposed to the 4 years i think it is elsewhere, as well as this since first year up until this year their 3rd year they only have a 12 hour week!

Its broken down something like this in which they're in from 10 or 11 till 2 or 3, basically 4 hours Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, they frequently go on about their weekends beginning on Wednesday night and how much they go out and get pissed.

Their workload is minimal as well and the "college" itself starts the academic year as one of the latest of all colleges i know of (my friends didnt start this year or last year until oct 1st). Added to this they get off earlier then any college does for summer they finish summer exams in late april early may ive also had to listen to "how bored they get during their long summer" - the poor things

Ultimately all ive heard from my two friends just makes me wonder wtf they do in there for their 4 hours mon/tues/wed and how the course can be in any way credible or comparable to those in ucd or trinity or where ever, i can contrast this cause i know a girl doing what they do in ucd and generally she is swampped with work and assignments and she herself wonders what they are doing that they get off so lightly.

Anyways this is just from my own experience of my friends who go there and only one opinion, make sure to do loads of research on the place to find out the most and help make your decision.

Good luck with whatever you end up doin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Its exagerrated..
    My boyfriend goes there and he does more assignments than I do and Im in third year!

There are lots of D4 types but equally lots of people from outside dublin.

If its a subject you want to do then dont lewt anything like that stop you.
    You get out what you put in

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Despite what people think it is a real college, in the respect that you do real work ect. Maybe its changed since I was last there but is about 60-70% populated by D4's/foreign students but the rest are simply students that didn't get the required points for their chosen subject. If its a subject you really want to do then you should you should go for it you will defo meet new people and find a few new friends. For me I met some great people there and had one pretty good year there but I left due to to inadequate replacement of lecturers and accreditation issues which they eventually sorted out. What subject are you interested in ?

Advertisement