Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to call it? Snow chances for Winter 2010/2011 all but gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Models have high pressure over us out to 10 days. This is annoying!

I have faith though and i've ordered 400 sledges! Money where my mouth is etc etc

Are u messing ?, or are ya a sports shop owner? ha

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just reading an article on the harshest British winters (link below) and noticed the following for the year 1933:

Towards the end of February came one of the worst blizzards to hit Britain. In parts of the north, Wales and the Midlands, there were 48 hours of continuous snowfall, and elsewhere it was almost as bad. Huddersfield had over 2ft of lying snow, drifts of 14ft were measured on Yorkshire's moors and dales, and villages were cut off from the Midlands to the Scottish borders.

Mmmmmm....this was the end of February. So the Britain & Ireland could still get some decent snow next month...:D

Link to Independent article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/call-this-a-real-winter-1855923.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Considering I had snow a day before April last year, it's really rather foolish to write off any more snow...no matter what the output is like..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

31st of March 2010:
    145242.JPG

It's not over yet!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have just got my snow fix watching that documentary about Yellowstone

50ft of Snow in places:eek: ,if only Jean would utter those words:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

:eek: at Beasterley's photo! Where was that taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

kelle wrote: »
    :eek: at Beasterley's photo! Where was that taken?

Mt Leinster, had the morning off so i went snow hunting!!:D

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Mt Leinster, had the morning off so i went snow hunting!!:D

Mmmm....thought so, that snow is up a bloody mountain! When I speak about the chances for snow, I am talking about the area where 99.9% of Irish people live - ie, the area between sea level and 200 metres asl....:D

I can go up the Dublin Mountains in April or May and get snow, that is a no-brainer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    31st of March 2010:
    145242.JPG

It's not over yet!!
    :D

:eek: where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

My memory may be off, but didn't we once get snow in May about 10 or 15 years back ????

i think i remember snow showers in about may 1997ish, or maybe i was drunk;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

lolie wrote: »
    i think i remember snow showers in about may 1997ish, or maybe i was drunk;)

for the entire month?!

Someone mentioned 97 earlier, i don't remember though. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Was about 1992 on the Easter holidays from school - week one on the Thursday we went to Brittas bay & got scorched- burnt to sinders, week 2 on the Thursday , hurtling down snow.... Have to say one of my most vivid memories as a kid. Other was snow in 82, daddy was building the house & I remember walking on top of the 3 ft of it as I was too light to sink - chance would be a fine thing now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Growing up I always checked the window on the morning of my birthday to see if there was snow, and I remember on a few occasions being greeted with the lovely white stuff!!! B'day beginning of March :D best birthday gift ever..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

derekon wrote: »
    Mmmm....thought so, that snow is up a bloody mountain! When I speak about the chances for snow, I am talking about the area where 99.9% of Irish people live - ie, the area between sea level and 200 metres asl....:D

I can go up the Dublin Mountains in April or May and get snow, that is a no-brainer :)

Ehh no its hardly a no brainer. Most years you wouldn't have snow up there at that time.
    lucy2010 wrote: »
    Was about 1992 on the Easter holidays from school - week one on the Thursday we went to Brittas bay & got scorched- burnt to sinders, week 2 on the Thursday , hurtling down snow.... Have to say one of my most vivid memories as a kid. Other was snow in 82, daddy was building the house & I remember walking on top of the 3 ft of it as I was too light to sink - chance would be a fine thing now lol

hahaah i must have been fat - i remember trying to walk on it and getting the shock of my life when I sank in it up to my ribs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Severe Cold to return early March - interesting article
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/Europeanwinter/Euroweather/prweb8084690.htm

Theres some snow on the top of the dublin mountains 2day. Can see it from finglas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

oterra wrote: »
    Severe Cold to return early March - interesting article
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/Europeanwinter/Euroweather/prweb8084690.htm

Interesting alright. So it looks to be a cold April too. I hope that means it will be clear on my wedding day, April 16th with snow on the surrounding mountains! (as long as its not rainy anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

:eek: FI but :eek::eek::eek: gfs-0-252.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

:eek: FI but :eek::eek::eek: gfs-0-252.png?12

Eh care to interpret for those of us who can't read these charts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

it means very strong winds! but that chart will almost definitely have changed by the 7 february. put it simply. when the lines are very close that means there is a strong gradient or pressure change leading to strong winds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Eh care to interpret for those of us who can't read these charts ?

Wet and windy, possibly wintry on the highest ground. Temps of around 6 to 8 degrees during the day. If Met Eireann ever want to start giving out advance warnings for pure ****e weather, this would be the perfect day.

Having viewed the Farming Forecast this morning on RTE1 along with the weather models for the coming 10 days (wet & mild weather on its way back to Ireland), I think it is fair to say that the chances of another round of lying snow in Ireland for the rest of winter 2010/2011 are now rapidly declining. It looks like we will have mild, windy mucky weather in place till about mid Feb. This could be extended beyond this as charts update later in the week. Time will tell if there is a wee chance of winter biting back. However, if we get to mid Feb and there is still no decent cold on the way, I for one will be welcoming the Spring with open arms! :D

Having viewed the Farming Forecast this morning on RTE1 along with the weather models for the coming 10 days (wet & mild weather on its way back to Ireland), I think it is fair to say that the chances of another round of lying snow in Ireland for the rest of winter 2010/2011 are now rapidly declining. It looks like we will have mild, windy mucky weather in place till about mid Feb. This could be extended beyond this as charts update later in the week. Time will tell if there is a wee chance of winter biting back. However, if we get to mid Feb and there is still no decent cold on the way, I for one will be welcoming the Spring with open arms! :D

There apparently was a snow flurry in Atlone and parts of Donegal this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Iancar29 wrote: »

...and Carrick-on-Shannon, was pretty heavy for a while. Freaked out when I saw it, got back into the car and drove home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I won't be. Hopefully for your blasphemy you'll be buried in snow during the last week of February:p

flutegirl wrote: »
    ...and Carrick-on-Shannon, was pretty heavy for a while. Freaked out when I saw it, got back into the car and drove home!!

Why did no1 take pictures!?!, ha ... what time was it at?, i couldnt see anything on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

None in Athlone.

I won't be. Hopefully for your blasphemy you'll be buried in snow during the last week of February:p

LOL..........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Why did no1 take pictures!?!, ha ... what time was it at?, i couldnt see anything on the radar.

Around 11.30 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is the title of this thread a bit misleading?? It implies we had no snow this winter so far and none likely for the rest the winter. Should it not say "Snow Chances for "the rest of" Winter 2010/2011 all but gone?"

Advertisement