Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tree value

• 25-01-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have about 6 acres of forestry on an outside farm,all silver birch.Im just wondering has it has much value apart from being cut for firewood..Anybody in the know about timber here.Thanks.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have about 6 acres of forestry on an outside farm,all silver birch.Im just wondering has it has much value apart from being cut for firewood..Anybody in the know about timber here.Thanks.....

There's a good firewood value to it. People would come in and clear it for firewood and pay you by the cubic meter for it. Hardwood is difficult to find these days. A small add in donedeal or on the Farmers Journal would yield a lot of interest I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mordy

To get Birch to a final crop you have to thin little and often, leaving the good quality stems to mature. Commercial timber would ideally, be about 25cm+ diameter at 1.3m height and ideally 5m lengths. This could go for about €70 per cubic M at road side. Firewood from thinnings would be about €10 per cubic Metre Standing depending on access, 35-45€ at road side.

You should get advice from a forester to insure thinning to is done to give the best final crop possible. You’ll need a General Felling Licence prior to carrying out thinning.

Mordy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Hi

Did you ever get this sorted?

Tom
    Mordy wrote: »
    To get Birch to a final crop you have to thin little and often, leaving the good quality stems to mature. Commercial timber would ideally, be about 25cm+ diameter at 1.3m height and ideally 5m lengths. This could go for about €70 per cubic M at road side. Firewood from thinnings would be about €10 per cubic Metre Standing depending on access, 35-45€ at road side.

You should get advice from a forester to insure thinning to is done to give the best final crop possible. You’ll need a General Felling Licence prior to carrying out thinning.

Mordy

Advertisement