Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovulation Discharge?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Going unreg for this one, as its a bit gross.
    Not strictly a ttc query, but figured you folks would be best placed to answer my regarding cycles/ovulation etc.

Have had mad, haywire cycles over the past few years...ranging from 20 days to 47 days (with periods themselves ranging from 6 days to 12 days).....but in the last 6 months they had settled nicely to 28-29 day cycles, and I was starting to relax about being able to predict my next period.

Then somehow a spanner got in the works, and I had a 49 day cycle from November to 4th Jan just gone...in other words December got missed completely. (an all-time longest cycle for me)
    So I resigned myself to the fact that either my cycles had gone mad on me again, or else it was just a blip.

Then last Saturday I started experiencing a heavy brown discharge, on Saturday it went red, and then on Sunday back to brown, and stopped completely on Monday.

Is there a possibility that I just had a strange ovulation this month which produced some discharge...and that to all extents & purposes my cycle might be back on track for 28-29days...?

Or, have my cycles gone haywaire again, and I've just broken my record for shortest cycle (18 days) and shortest period (3 days)? :(

FWIW I'm not on any form of pill, no implants, only contraception used with OH are condoms, but not a hope of a pregnancy other than by immaculate conception since last cycle.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've never heard of ovulation discharge like you describe.

I know you say that you couldn't be pregnant, however there's no harm in doing a test IMO, to rule it out.

After that I would go to the GP to see if they can offer any insight.

Menstrual cycles can be strange creatures as anyone trying to conceive will tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Disambiguation

I doubt this bleed had anything to do with ovulation. While some women experience spotting at ovulation, a full bleed is not expected unless you are at the end of your cycle or have other issues.

Perhaps you are an irregular cycle girl and the last 6 months of regular cycles were actually out of the ordinary for you.

As always tell your GP, see what he/she says. I wouldn't be too happy with discharging a large volume of 'old' blood.

May I also say; your cycle is not 'gross', try not to feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I definitely think it would be worth a trip to your GP to have a few tests run.
    My cycles have gone a bit all over the place since a miscarriage 6 months ago (cycles getting longer/finding it difficult to get an positive results for ovulation so not sure if i am ovulating/dark discharge), I went to my gp today & she's referred me for an ultrasound to get things properly checked out.

I don't think you will have any peace of mind until you start getting some answers.

If it helps, my best buddy had similarly irregular periods, sometimes she'd skip a period for a month or more, other times she'd have 2 periods on the one month.
    Her little boy is now 5 months old :) so there definitely is hope. It took her nearly a year to conceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks guys for all your replies, apologies for not replying sooner <blush>

I guess it was just another parapgraph to add in the story of my weird cycles....really hoping it was just a hiccup this time though, and maybe I'll go back to the wonderful & mostly predictable cycles I had between May-Nov 2010. I guess only time will tell. I am due a smear, so perhaps that may shed some light on this latest hiccup...but I think, optimally that's meant to be done mid-cycle isn't it?...which is a little hard to predict if my cycles have gone crazy again. :(

Have had crazy cycles for years now, GP has tested everything she can think of testing.
    I *do* have an underlying (& not directly connected) medical condition that is partly responsible for my cycle changes...but we've both agreed that what I have experienced in the past 6-7 years has been way above & beyond any cycle irregularity symptoms that my particular medical condition should have affected.
    Everything from all-out flooding over 9 days with NO sanitary wear I could buy being anywhere proficient enough to keep up with the flow for more than half an hour at a time, even when combining super-heavy-duty pads & ultra-absorbent tampons (leaving me virtually house-bound at the time)....to blood clots the size of my fist (eek!)
    May I also say; your cycle is not 'gross', try not to feel that way.

Thanks and I appreciate your sentiment. :)
    Overall my cycle doesn't really gross me out...as described above, I've had more than my fair share of cycle hell, and I can pretty much cope with most variations....but its the brown stuff, rather than the red stuff, that I find is really gross. And clotted brown stuff is just nasty!

Advertisement