Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best of 2010

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Not played a lot of it but what I did seemed like classic SMT. Great battle system, gorgeous visuals for a DS game wrapped up in a very dark and depressing storyline that is totally at odds with the usually awful anime/JRPG tropes.
    As a megaten fan I was really disappointed with this. I got about half way through and gave up. I thoguht the story was generic western sci-fi muck, the dungeons a plodding mess and the tweaks to the battle system pointless. Devil Survivor is far superior in every way imo.
    It got such poor critical reviews but I've not heard anyone say it was less than brilliant that wasn't the press. Hope it lives up to the hype.
    I've noticed that too. Every RPG fan I've come across has raved about NIER. Will have to pick it up next time I see it going cheap (which it is in every shop:P)
    Next one is on PSP as well.
    Why no Valkyria Chronicles sequel on PS3! The original just needed some minor tweaks: less-prescriptive missions, better pre-mission planning features, some better maps etc. Such a shame

Best of 2010:

Demons Souls
    Fallout New Vegas
    RUSE

In that order

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

penev10 wrote: »
    As a megaten fan I was really disappointed with this. I got about half way through and gave up. I thoguht the story was generic western sci-fi muck, the dungeons a plodding mess and the tweaks to the battle system pointless. Devil Survivor is far superior in every way imo.

It's a main series game. Unlike the spin-offs this game is all about the dungeon crawling. If you have played SMT 1 or 2 or even bits of Nocturne you'll see that the main series games are straight up dungeon crawlers compared to the spin-offs. Devil Survivor is better but it's a 2009 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Assassins Creed Brotherhood for me.

Story isn't as good as AC2, but once again, they have improved pretty much every aspect of the game. The kill streaks are amazing, allowing you to take on more enemies at once. The weapons and combination of weapons is brilliant. And the Assassin Brotherhood added a whole new dimension to the game. I actually felt genuinely disappointed when my first assassin died. Plus, the memory sync on every mission to get 100% makes you approach some missions in a different way.

Added to that the brilliant multiplayer which works so much better than I thought it would. Tailing your target, waiting for that perfect kill, having to be aware of suspicious looking people behind you... It's brilliant.

Definitely game of the year for me. I played Red Dead Redemption a bit, but just started getting bored. I'll give it another try once I get the Platinum for AC:B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

It's a main series game. Unlike the spin-offs this game is all about the dungeon crawling. If you have played SMT 1 or 2 or even bits of Nocturne you'll see that the main series games are straight up dungeon crawlers compared to the spin-offs. Devil Survivor is better but it's a 2009 game.
    I havent played any of the main series just the Personas etc. maybe that was what threw me. I'm not agaisnt dungeon crawling per se I just didn't like the set-up in SJ, it felt a bit thrown together with a lot of rough edges. After my (3 playthrough) love afair with Devil Survivor I was always going to be disappointed I suppose :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dungeon Crawlers can be a bit dividing. I used to hate them but really like them since I'm older for some reason. You've just got to be prepared for a stiff challenge and only snippets of story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Red dead redemption
    Such an enjoyable open ended game,I had so much fun playing it.

Fallout new vegas
    Big improvement on fo3,really enjoyed it,

mass effect 2
    Really enjoyed playing this,much preferred it to me1

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Red Dead Redemption- Thought it was a brilliant game, i really doubted it when i first heard due to its setting but i was very much pleasantly surprised.

ME2- A truly amazing game in almost every aspect.

Tropico 3- This may have been released in 09 but i only played it recently and thought it was really fun and i don't think it got the recognition it deserved tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Bayonetta was fantastic. Exactly what I needed. DMC style fun, but even more over the top. The boss battles were great fun. Anything Bayonetta may have lacked in story, it more than made up for in action.

Darksiders was another favourite of mine. In compasion to Bayonetta it played the oppisite way around. What I mean by this is, anything Darksiders lacked in action, it more than made up for in story. The voice acting was very impressive too.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions played like a blast from the past for me. It reminded me so much of Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro waaay back on PS1. The fact that this game is level based, as opposed to free roam, really made it for me. I was getting pretty bored playing free roam Spidey games, as they all feel a bit similar.

Splatterhouse did exactly what it said on the tin. I was a huge fan of Splatterhouse 2 while I was younger, so I was really looking forward to this one... And it didn't disappoint. Now don't get me wrong, I realize that this game is nothing out of the ordinary. But it just had tons and tons of charm. Very enjoyable game, and the fact that the original trilogy is on the disc too is a huge bonus.

Super Street Fighter IV takes my favourite fighting game of the last decade, and infinitely improves upon it. This is a game I continue to return to for many years in the future, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Heavy Rain
    God of war 3

Advertisement