Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway East Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

The boards.ie vote is interesting for galway east.
    colm keavney coming out on to following by ciaran cannon and followed by lorraine higgins!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lorraine Higgins is hot !

She gets my vote for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'd vote labour if Colm Keaveney was not the candidate.

I'd vote FF before I'd vote for Tom Mchugh. (looking for a ministers job) he should not be running in this election at all.

Ciaran Cannon is my choice for number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

spose its a just pretty boring constituency:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

keavney seems to be polling well on the boards.ie election poll.

i'm a bit surprised but is this expected? i'd imagine he'll do v well around tuam. any opinion.

even if the sample so far is small enough.

Keaveney is being received fairly well but running two Labour candidates in Galway East is stupid when there is no Labour tradition in the area and yet they only run one in Galway West where they have a seat. Anyway, Keaveney will poll well but probably not making a seat but Canney is the man to watch in this election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cedar rapids

personally i would think tom mchugh is by far the most talented candidate all this abuse he recieves makes me laugh people dont even know the man

• Registered Users Posts: 4 muckross

Michael Martin did well on the live T.V debate. I will vote Fianna Fail and I tell you why. Firstly, Fine Gael want to cut the HSE in half and phase out the second half, to make it one again and change the name, no major difference there. The also want a health insurance and you know what that will lead to, more inequalities in the system. The are selling this on the example of the Dutch health system. Have the ever lived in the Netherlands or have they even visited the place? The health system there is much worse as I had to use it once. The local G.P comes to you in his high nellie. The system there is archaic, fragmented and is based solely on money!
    Vote FF to save the day, don't listen to those other parties who will sell you anything just to get in.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

dec25532 wrote: »
    Keaveney is being received fairly well but running two Labour candidates in Galway East is stupid when there is no Labour tradition in the area and yet they only run one in Galway West where they have a seat. Anyway, Keaveney will poll well but probably not making a seat but Canney is the man to watch in this election.

They are running a 2nd candidate to get votes in the south of the constituency. People around Athenry, Gort and Loughrea are more likely to vote for Higgins and they are probably hoping that her transfers will lean heavily towards Keaveney.

personally i would think tom mchugh is by far the most talented candidate all this abuse he recieves makes me laugh people dont even know the man

I know him and I would not say he is The most talented candidate ? I'd put Sean canny before him any day. He is getting the abuse because of his business/personal dealings.

I cannot see him doing well in Tuam town.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

muckross wrote: »
    Vote FF to save the day, don't listen to those other parties who will sell you anything just to get in.:)

What are Zanu FF selling us, honesty perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 east1999

I would not put much faith in the board.ie poll as I see people been urged to vote on at least one of the candidates facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shanekoaks

spose its a just pretty boring constituency:confused:
    Bingo...

I fancy our constituency is going to end up as boring and predictable as always..

Connaughton Jnr will hoover up all of his father's votes and more due to FF apathy.. He will be elected comfortably..

Michael Kitt will also be elected.. Most probably when Michael Dolan is eliminated and the majority of his transfers pass..

Sean Canney will more than likely be next.. From the Paddy Mchugh stable. (GE2002) Will get over half of the vote in most of the Tuam Area boxes (Like Mchugh) (Headford, Caherlistraine, Belclare, Corofin, Kilconly Tuam, Dunmore, Barnadearg, even Abbeyknockmoy, where Dolan is living.

This still won't be enough, but the early elimination of either or both, Tom Mchugh and Keaveney, should transfer enough of the Tuam vote to see him over the line.

I fancy the last will be Cannon.. He's central enough in the constituency that he will get a fair share of floating vote from everywhere, and various eliminations will get him home. It'll be tight between him and McClearn, but i fancy Cannon will take it despite being disliked by the Fine Gael hierarchy locally, after jumping the queue somewhat to get on the ticket.

As for Colm Keaveney.. The people of Tuam want a TD, and most were willing to back him despite Galway East having no Labour history, due to the fact that he would most likely be in government. But i personally feel he has been squeezed out by Canney. The Paddy McHugh machine was driven by Canney and now the favour will be returned.

At the same time, nothing is ever certain in Politics! :)

Michael Dolan lives in Monivea and will probably get some votes in Abbeyknockmoy but Ciaran Cannon is from athenry so he will also be getting votes in Abbey.

I would imagine FF are running michael F Dolan to get his transfers. I think Ciaran Cannon will also get a lot of Dolan's transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

muckross wrote: »
    Michael Martin did well on the live T.V debate. I will vote Fianna Fail and I tell you why. Firstly, Fine Gael want to cut the HSE in half and phase out the second half, to make it one again and change the name, no major difference there. The also want a health insurance and you know what that will lead to, more inequalities in the system. The are selling this on the example of the Dutch health system. Have the ever lived in the Netherlands or have they even visited the place? The health system there is much worse as I had to use it once. The local G.P comes to you in his high nellie. The system there is archaic, fragmented and is based solely on money!

So we're to vote FF because Martin can debate on TV for a couple of hours without totally embarrassing himself or his party? The man's been in cabinet for 14 years - he's had his chance to help sort out the country and indeed to sort out the health service. Whatever about the other parties selling us anything to get in - FF have sold the country to the EU & the IMF and have proposed paying for it by doing things like this like this[/U] ...roll on February 25th. Save the day? Them boys only want to save themselves.

I'll be ignoring any pro-FF comments from here on out, I am totally resolute in never voting for them and any counter arguments would be wasted on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adquick

They can be a scourge, but does anyone else drive around a lot? I heard that Labour wanted both candidates to canvass the whole of Galway East (no railway split) but isn't Higgins taking it a bit far - her posters are up all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

I'll be giving Labour 1 & 2.I like Canney but he is independent and will have no power.
    FG and labour will not need the independents.
    As for FF , only fools and idiots will vote for the party that made this country a basket case.

2011-02-12110931-1.jpgHow ironic, a FF poster on a ghost estate in Corofin.

shanekoaks wrote: »
    Bingo...

I fancy our constituency is going to end up as boring and predictable as always..

Connaughton Jnr will hoover up all of his father's votes and more due to FF apathy.. He will be elected comfortably..

Michael Kitt will also be elected.. Most probably when Michael Dolan is eliminated and the majority of his transfers pass..

Sean Canney will more than likely be next.. From the Paddy Mchugh stable. (GE2002) Will get over half of the vote in most of the Tuam Area boxes (Like Mchugh) (Headford, Caherlistraine, Belclare, Corofin, Kilconly Tuam, Dunmore, Barnadearg, even Abbeyknockmoy, where Dolan is living.

This still won't be enough, but the early elimination of either or both, Tom Mchugh and Keaveney, should transfer enough of the Tuam vote to see him over the line.

I fancy the last will be Cannon.. He's central enough in the constituency that he will get a fair share of floating vote from everywhere, and various eliminations will get him home. It'll be tight between him and McClearn, but i fancy Cannon will take it despite being disliked by the Fine Gael hierarchy locally, after jumping the queue somewhat to get on the ticket.

As for Colm Keaveney.. The people of Tuam want a TD, and most were willing to back him despite Galway East having no Labour history, due to the fact that he would most likely be in government. But i personally feel he has been squeezed out by Canney. The Paddy McHugh machine was driven by Canney and now the favour will be returned.:)

I totally agree. Connaughton and Kitt are shoo ins. Seemingly John Bruton was in Ballinasloe to advance Cannon's campaign so Jimmy McClearn is being sidelined by his own party. Canney will win the battle of Tuam as Keaveney needs to poll strongly and get a strong transfer from Lorraine Higgins but neither will happen. Higgins will transfer back to Cannon as they are in the same locality. So it will Connaughton, Kitt, Canney and Cannon in Galway East.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

What are the main issues being raised by voters?

Presuming it is employment...has to be!!

However, there are side issues which we should raise as well. Like the landfill in Ballinasloe. From a report on RTE the other day it appears that there is only 3 years left in a lot of landfills, nationwide.

Has anybody any idea what is left in the one in Poolboy Ballinalsoe?

As it serves the county and I am not sure, maybe Galway city as well, are there plans there to expand it? I am not aware and not fully informed on this!

Or are they just going to close it up?

Maybe someone can enlighten me!!!!

Along with water rates, I think long term it is very important to know where we stand with these other issues!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Colm Keaveney is appearing on the Vincent Browne Show on TV3 at 11pm tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 shanekoaks

bagels wrote: »
    Colm Keaveney is appearing on the Vincent Browne Show on TV3 at 11pm tonight

I thought he came across as arrogant unfortunately. Also his comments about McHugh and Canney were very poor form..

I thought he came across as arrogant unfortunately. Also his comments about McHugh and Canney were very poor form..

That is no surprise as he is arrogant. I have not seen the show yet but I will watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    I'll be giving Labour 1 & 2.I like Canney but he is independent and will have no power.
    FG and labour will not need the independents.
    As for FF , only fools and idiots will vote for the party that made this country a basket case.

Do you not know that Labour are in favour of murdering babies before they are born? Do you not care? "Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use violence to get what they want. That is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion" - Mother Teresa

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I thought so too. He was in with a shout of getting my #1 until he came out with that. I guess subtlety isn't his strong point.

Glenman wrote: »
    Do you not know that Labour are in favour of murdering babies before they are born? Do you not care? "Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use violence to get what they want. That is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion" - Mother Teresa

As I said I'll be giving Labour number 1 & 2

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

adquick wrote: »
    They can be a scourge, but does anyone else drive around a lot? I heard that Labour wanted both candidates to canvass the whole of Galway East (no railway split) but isn't Higgins taking it a bit far - her posters are up all over the place!

just on posters, has anyone noticed the tom mchugh and naughton posters around moylough.
    it kinda looks like his picture is displayed over the default winxp backround (rolling green fields, blue sky with fluffy white clouds)...maybe its just me..(i work in IT)

i havent spotted the "recycle bin" in the corner of the image, so i may be wrong..cant find a copy of it on line.

the SF candidates poster, all i see is teeth..lots of teeth.

If fine gael are within six or eight seats of an overall majority, then they will talk to independents. In the Connaught Tribune this week both Sean Canney and Noel Grealish said that they would support them if their jobs strategy was to their liking. Enda Kenny could get away with holding power with the help of a scatter of West of Ireland independents. It would sicken Labour and no harm at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

At the moment I think that FF might get back in. The aren't bothering with all the bickering of all the other parties. I think Michael Dolan has a chance of getting in even though it's his first time running. Noel Treacy was the one who put him up for it so he has Treacy's voters. Kitt could possibly get elected and Lorraine Higgins will for sure. Her face is everywhere. This is off topic but I think they should be focusing on their looks. I was talking to a few of my friends and they said that they usually vote for the people with the nicest pictures. I mean... how sad is that, just because they look nice doesn't qualify them to do the job right.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

Gaffs89 wrote: »

I think we should chuck out all the old FF ministers bar one or two this year and have a whole group of people who have never run for government before. A bit of a shake up of sorts... and not just for FF, For every party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am lost as to whom to vote for, absolutely lost.

I had the guy with the *teeth* at my door - nuff said...

And McLearns peeps minus the man himself who didn't even have a clue about FG policies and were like: *Ah hum...?*

I would rather hack off my hand than vote Labour..

Ah jeez..

Advertisement