Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway East Election Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

do the 'door' teeth do justice to the 'poster' teeth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Worse actually, I have visions of Bugs Bunny throughout ;). Not the most eloquent either and that's saying something seeing that I talked rings around him and English isn't even my native tongue :(.

I REALLY do not know whom to vote for anymore :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pma68

Bringing in new TD's is fine if they know what they are doing - but I fear electing individuals such as Paul Conn Jr just because of who he is completely defeats the purpose of putting in new, vibrant people. I have yet to see evidence of any work carried out by this individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

EGAR wrote: »
    I am lost as to whom to vote for, absolutely lost.

I had the guy with the *teeth* at my door - nuff said...

And McLearns peeps minus the man himself who didn't even have a clue about FG policies and were like: *Ah hum...?*

I would rather hack off my hand than vote Labour..

Ah jeez..
    May i ask why you feel like this?
    I'm not disagreeing with you.
    I'm just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

pma68 wrote: »
    Bringing in new TD's is fine if they know what they are doing - but I fear electing individuals such as Paul Conn Jr just because of who he is completely defeats the purpose of putting in new, vibrant people. I have yet to see evidence of any work carried out by this individual.

I was canvassed by Paul Sr and asked him straight out what Paul Jr had done to justify voting him into the national legislature. The answer I got was pure waffle. If your own dad can't make a good case for you, you should worry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

In contrast, Paul Connaughton Jr was quite impressive on a radio interview I heard him doing. He explained how many of his friends had emigrated to Australia, and this has spurred him on to go about getting elected and to help establish measures that will end mass emigration from Ireland.

At the age of 29, he could be just what Fine Gael need in the West. I'd rather see him get in than any 50-70 yr old has-been who is out of touch with the youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Paul.M92 wrote: »
    At the moment I think that FF might get back in. The aren't bothering with all the bickering of all the other parties. I think Michael Dolan has a chance of getting in even though it's his first time running. Noel Treacy was the one who put him up for it so he has Treacy's voters. Kitt could possibly get elected and Lorraine Higgins will for sure. Her face is everywhere. This is off topic but I think they should be focusing on their looks. I was talking to a few of my friends and they said that they usually vote for the people with the nicest pictures. I mean... how sad is that, just because they look nice doesn't qualify them to do the job right.:eek:

If Lorraine Higgins gets a seat, I will walk home from the count centre in New Inn in bare feet all the way back to North Galway. She hasn't a prayer and neither has Labour. Kitt will get the only FF seat, Connaughton and a toss up between Cannon and McClearn for the two FG seats and Canney for the remainder.

How did Canney spell 'Independent' wrong on the post card size mailshot i got in the post.

in fairness, you would expect it to be right.

anyone notice it? independAnt was the spelling by the way.

How did Canney spell 'Independent' wrong on the post card size mailshot i got in the post.

in fairness, you would expect it to be right.

anyone notice it? independAnt was the spelling by the way.
    That's the FF way to spell it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

EGAR wrote: »
    I am lost as to whom to vote for, absolutely lost.

I had the guy with the *teeth* at my door - nuff said...

And McLearns peeps minus the man himself who didn't even have a clue about FG policies and were like: *Ah hum...?*

I would rather hack off my hand than vote Labour..

Ah jeez..

This might help .... www.votomatic.ie

Weather I like it or not, I have to vote Labour going by how I want the country sorted out over the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

was going to vote in limerick but for some reason ive been registered in both, galway east is my home so going voting here

probably will give tim broderick the number 1, afer that i dont know, whichever of the fg candidates look the best option i suppose

dec25532 wrote: »
    If Lorraine Higgins gets a seat, I will walk home from the count centre in New Inn in bare feet all the way back to North Galway. She hasn't a prayer and neither has Labour. Kitt will get the only FF seat, Connaughton and a toss up between Cannon and McClearn for the two FG seats and Canney for the remainder.

She canvassed me yesterday and I was seriously impressed with her. She gets my number 1 but I don't know if she'll get in. She's smart, articulate and has a good command of the issues - not what usually gets elected in East Galway!

I just had my first visit by someone representing Fianna Fail.
    Couldn't believe it took so long.
    They actually look surprised when they get a negative response from me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

I think that this is the most important election we will ever have. We have the 3 main parties that are content with our children and grandchildren paying back the gambling debts of foreigners. They are also content with our oil and gas been given away and now our forests are for sale. Local businesses will need carbon credits and without our forests we will not have carbon credits.
    Sinn Fein are the only party represented in East Galway whose policies are reclaim our natural assets and repudiate the foreign debt. To vote for someone that will subject me, my children and my grandchildren to a massive debt is something that I will not do and I hope enough people realise what they are voting for before Friday.
    Connolly 1
    Broderick 2
    Canney 3
    O Donnell 4
    Will be my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DecQ

Just watched the Keaveney piece on Vin Browne......O My God. Face set to Stun. Couldn't believe his statement on Non Party candidates.
    Guy is running scared. If he's not elected this time I'd say that's it for his hopes of ever getting into Dail.
    Won't be getting any preference from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 frankmck45

I hope those who live in the Tuam area will drive around the town before they cast their vote. Drive down Airglooney where the Sugar Factory was situated and never replaced. Drive by the Grove which despite repeated FF promises still lies derelict. Up to Parkmore and see what happened our Racecourse.Down to the Stadium downgraded while Pearse Stadium was prioritised. Bypassed for Natural Gas though it can get transported out of the country. Drive down Tullinadaly Hill and then get your suspension replaced. All this time Galway East voted in dynasties( Kitts, Callinans and probably Connaughtons by Saturday) all decent people but none with an 093 prefix on their phones.None of them cried halt while the town lost all of the above and more. Give McHugh or Keaveney or Canney a chance to let Tuam catch up on Castlebar,Sligo and Thurles to name just a few.

frankmck45 wrote: »
    I hope those who live in the Tuam area will drive around the town before they cast their vote. Drive down Airglooney where the Sugar Factory was situated and never replaced. Drive by the Grove which despite repeated FF promises still lies derelict. Up to Parkmore and see what happened our Racecourse.Down to the Stadium downgraded while Pearse Stadium was prioritised. Bypassed for Natural Gas though it can get transported out of the country. Drive down Tullinadaly Hill and then get your suspension replaced. All this time Galway East voted in dynasties( Kitts, Callinans and probably Connaughtons by Saturday) all decent people but none with an 093 prefix on their phones.None of them cried halt while the town lost all of the above and more. Give McHugh or Keaveney or Canney a chance to let Tuam catch up on Castlebar,Sligo and Thurles to name just a few.

agree with you there. tuam never improved like castlebar did over the last 20 years.
    prob connaughton and kitt but
    the last two seats i just cant call . its that hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Howye.
    Anyone here know where CBS Primary School Tuam 2 is? (Polling Station)
    Google is not my friend, nor is the phone book!!!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

ericsinjun wrote: »
    Howye.
    Anyone here know where CBS Primary School Tuam 2 is? (Polling Station)
    Google is not my friend, nor is the phone book!!!
    Thanks

Hi, It's proper name is St. Patrick's Primary School. I don't know why they're still using the old CBS name (If that's what is printed on the polling cards). It's on the Dublin Road. There are big roadworks going on outside it, so you can't miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Thanks a million Jamey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

agree with you there. tuam never improved like castlebar did over the last 20 years.
    prob connaughton and kitt but
    the last two seats i just cant call . its that hard to say.

Well we nearly fecked it up running 3 candidates for Tuam again......we will never learn....but at least Keaveney has got in.....

Have to say he has a major job to do for Tuam.......

Facilties / Amenities / Road structures in Castlebar are light years ahead of Tuam.....

Hopefully A TD for the town will be a start...

Spare me this 'Think National issues ' bullsh*t ' ......Massive investment is needed for the town of Tuam.....where to start is another question...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Congrats to Colm Keaveney & Lorraine Higgins.
    What a team they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

dodge ball!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    dodge ball!
    Yee played Dodgeball? He doesn't look the sporty type.
    Well you live and learn :D

The problem we have is our whole political system doesn't work. If you don't have a TD in your area you can't get investment into your town. If you don't have a councillor in your parish you can't get footpaths fixed. For years we (voters) put up with that and voted in fixers and dynasties who would work their way around the system instead of making it better. Why would they fix the system when it being broken keps them in a job? That's why Tuam and towns like it have suffered so much. In other countries the whole system just works, people vote for politicans who make it work even better, instead of those who can arrange it to help their friends. I'm not sure if the new government will make a difference but getting rid of FF has been a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

ciaranmac wrote: »
    The problem we have is our whole political system doesn't work. If you don't have a TD in your area you can't get investment into your town. If you don't have a councillor in your parish you can't get footpaths fixed. For years we (voters) put up with that and voted in fixers and dynasties who would work their way around the system instead of making it better. Why would they fix the system when it being broken keps them in a job? That's why Tuam and towns like it have suffered so much. In other countries the whole system just works, people vote for politicans who make it work even better, instead of those who can arrange it to help their friends. I'm not sure if the new government will make a difference but getting rid of FF has been a good start.

Excellent post.

Advertisement