Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgraded Firmware - now no RTE on Ferguson HF-8900 HD

• 25-01-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently upgraded the firmware on my Ferguson HF-8900 and now I can't receive RTE (my SKY card is in the relevant slot). Didn't have a problem before so what have I likely done wrong?

I'm pointing at Astra 2 (28.2deg), transponder 10744H 22000 5/6 and can get the usual Freesat channels, Sky News etc.

Any help is very gratefully accepted.

Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi,

I recently upgraded the firmware on my Ferguson HF-8900 and now I can't receive RTE (my SKY card is in the relevant slot). Didn't have a problem before so what have I likely done wrong?

I'm pointing at Astra 2 (28.2deg), transponder 10744H 22000 5/6 and can get the usual Freesat channels, Sky News etc.

Any help is very gratefully accepted.

Chris

Why did you "upgrade" the firmware ?

Most upgrades to satellite boxes from unofficial sites are written for specific reasons.

Consider reverting back to previous firmware. Whoever wrote the new one has inadvertently dropped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Hi STB

The upgrade was from the ferguson support site and addressed stability issues watching HD programmes.

It's almost like my Sky Card is not valid anymore in the Ferguson but still works fine in my SKY HD box

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Hi STB

The upgrade was from the ferguson support site and addressed stability issues watching HD programmes.

It's almost like my Sky Card is not valid anymore in the Ferguson but still works fine in my SKY HD box

Chris

That makes no sense, if it works in your Sky HD box then it would work in any other box, when you say you have no RTE, do you actually mean you have no encrypted channels?

Also, I have NEVER seen an official firmware capable of decoding NDS, more than likely you were using an unofficial one and upgraded to an official one removing the 'extra' features. Who installed the previous firmware? Was it you? Do you still have it on your PC or backed up somewhere?

Hi

That's right, previously I had all of the encrypted channels being decoded when the Sky card was in the Ferguson. After upgrading to the latest Firmware, no decoding.

Someone set the system up for me but I presumed that they just added the channels, not installed an unofficial firmware.

Any suggestions on where I could find an unofficial firmware?

Thanks

Chris

Its all very well moving from different firmware versions and compilations if you know what you are doing. Someone changes a bootloader and you are fecked!

Be careful moving between unofficial and official firmware. The Sky card working will never be in the official version!

See what version firmware is on it now. You are looking for the unofficial version of that firmware number.

Example the "unofficial" firmware would be called something like hf8900hd-11.29.2a (google it)

• Advertisement

I agree, wrong firmware can potentially 'brick' your machine and make it unusable so I am hesitant to make any recommendations.

Can you contact the person who set it up originally?

I switched to an unofficial Firmware but still no luck. I heard from somewhere that sometimes you periodically need to leave your Sky card in the Sky box overnight or it stops working. Is that true?

I switched to an unofficial Firmware but still no luck. I heard from somewhere that sometimes you periodically need to leave your Sky card in the Sky box overnight or it stops working. Is that true?

True but if it works in your Sky box then it will work elsewhere. Once a month overnight in your Sky box usually does the trick.

If its working on the sky box now, it should work on the Ferguson. But you have removed the emulator software by going back to the official.

I would imagine someone installed the Neue Emusoft Ferguson-Jepssen-HF8900HD_11.24.3E firmware on it by just looking around. Many clones of this box you see..... read up before you switch.

When you get the right "unofficial" firmware, do not upgrade the firmware again. Unofficial coders are notorious for dropping stuff in firmware changes. Some people always have to have the latest firmware. Sometimes firmware can kill boxes. Trust me, I have boxes of spare parts!

Tony stocks Ferguson products. Perhaps he can help you.

Advertisement