Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many miles do you get from runners?

• 25-01-2011 11:47pm

I have been using sportracks on my garmin and always log which runners I use on a run. For me I have noticed that after around 300 miles I can notice a significant breakdown in the support. I'm a neutral runner and have noticed this over different brands - Saucony, Mizuno, Addidas. How many miles do other people get from their runners?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm on the low end mileage-wise of how much I get from my shoes - having the Heel Strike Of Doom doesn't help. I've had anything from 280 miles (Brooks Adrenaline 10) to 350 miles (Asics Gel-Kayano 14), but never more than 350 miles. My current Mizuno Wave Inspire 6's are probably up for replacement in the next 2 weeks, at which time they'll have about 350 miles on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It depends on the person. I have runners with 700 miles on them that I have no problems with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I generally get about 5 months out of a pair of Nike Pegasus, so probably getting about 1,200 miles out of each pair. I've been wearing Pegasus for the best part of 20 years (changed to other shoes occassionally, but always regretted it).

My main reason for retiring shoes is losing 'the action' in the heels - tending to lose compressibility. Even after retiring them, I still use them for running on grass. When they're not up to that, I stick them in the washing machine (just to clean them) and use them for walking around (until the midsole starts breaking down :rolleyes:.

If you've a bio-mechanical issue resulting in heavy wear in one particular area, then you're stuck with it. Even then, flexibility can make a big difference, so it's worth working on that.

Another factor in shoe life is the care they're given. Heat and sunlight are both bad for shoelife - they harden the polymers in the shoes. So don't dry your shoes on a radiator/whatever (stuff wet shoes overnight with crumpled up newspapers) or on a windowsill. It's worth checking out the heel area when buying shoes. I've found that many of the smaller shops, maybe with relatively low shoe turnover, can have shoes on display for months, so you could be buying shoes that have been on display, in a relatively warm (under spotlights?) environment for months.

....yeah, I know.....you only wanted to hear the number of miles....:rolleyes:

Condo131 wrote: »

....yeah, I know.....you only wanted to hear the number of miles....:rolleyes:

not at all - good to get more info!
    I change my runners when I notice the feeling of more impact on my feet and my legs getting a bit sore more quickly - the runners may not be actually broken down all that much internally but that's when I change them.... Surprised that you get 1200 miles out of your runners. I actually tried pegasus 26 for a run but found that they weren't for me at all - didn't like the "slap" feeling from the transition.

Advertisement