Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor tethering

Options
  • 25-01-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey all,

Am thinking of picking up a Samsung Galaxy S on meteor. I'm already using a 3 mobile dongle for monthly internet use at home on my Mac ibook G4. Question is, if I sign up for a meteor contract should/can I get the 10gb monthly add on and tether the galaxy to my mac and use it as a modem? Will the speed suffer by using blue tooth to tether? Even by paying the e15 extra for the add on I'd be saving on the three mobile dongle price.

Also, did I read something on Meteors website that this add on is NOT to be used for tethering, is that an issue???

I'm getting 3/4 bars 3G reception at home on emobile (same network as meteor as far as I know?) with a Sony Ericsson K800. Do people think this is a decent indication of reception I'll get with a Galaxy? My only concern is the amount of issues I've heard with Meteor/emobiles reception?

Any thoughts advice is greatly appreciated!

THANKS ALL!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

arsenal wrote: »
    ...if I sign up for a meteor contract should/can I get the 10gb monthly add on and tether the galaxy to my mac and use it as a modem?
    Should? I've no idea, but it's an option. Can? Yes.
    Will the speed suffer by using blue tooth to tether?
    Given that you can set the phone up as a wireless hotspot or connect directly via USB as well as the bluetooth connection option, I'd be surprised if you find the actual speed achievable on the phone isn't still the limiting factor in the tethering. You'd need to check what speeds are achievable via Bluetooth specific to the devices you'd be using, but hooking it up via USB should certainly provide a strong tethered connection.
    Also, did I read something on Meteors website that this add on is NOT to be used for tethering, is that an issue???
    I'm not aware of any restrictions there (if you come across a mention of it, do let me know).

Looking at the T&Cs and a few comments directly from Meteor staff, I can't see any issues there. Tethering is one of the few reasons they provide such a large data add on (they do have an issue with using the unlimited add on with VoIP, that might be worth mentioning).
    Do people think this is a decent indication of reception I'll get with a Galaxy? My only concern is the amount of issues I've heard with Meteor/emobiles reception?
    Every device will differ slightly, but I've never heard serious complaints about the signal on a Galaxy so I don't expect you'd suffer any major drop in signal due to the change in phone. The signal you're getting via emobile should be the same as you get via meteor, so that side of it is directly comparable.

Obviously it'd be great if you could grab hold of a Galaxy and check the signal using a meteor sim in your area, but as the quality of signal will be relatively variable in any case (as with any mobile solution) you'll only gain so much from a spot trial like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mmm streaming it throught bluetooth would be a bit painfull.

Either wireless tethering is supported so if your mac has wifi then there shouldnt be a problem. It would have to be pluged in though as it would drain the battery just as quick as on a modem.

USB tethering is usually faster and ping is lower but im not sure does android or samsung supports mac os (who does? :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

(who does? :P )

iphone4 does :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

lol :) suppose it does ;) but no point discussing it further :) will be accused of trolling again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 39 arsenal

Thanks all,

Didn't realise you could set the phone up as a wireless hotspot, that should be fine (he says tentatively!) can probably ditch the dongle then!!!

Now all i'll have to do is figure out how to sync from itunes, get videos playing on it.... god why are iphones so expensive!!! (rhetorical question...thank you!)

Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

If you are using a mac PDANet will allow you to tether via USB.

Best way to sync a galaxy S (or any android) is via double twist. Looks and works quite like iTunes, quite closely linked to Amazon.

Meteor sell unbranded Androids, so updates are generally quick and Wi-Fi hotspots are enabled, as far as I know. Might be best to double check that in the galaxy thread though.

Advertisement