Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ginger hair?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good point WT and I wonder does anyone out there know this and why? *looks at dubhthach :D* While I know a fair few red haired folks, I know way more men with dark hair but pure ginger beards. Myself included(before the grey took over. My red hair has gone grey well before my dark, funny enough. Red seems to be more prone to going grey*?).

My dad was dark of hair and dark of beard, but his arm hair was clearly ginger. Similar for a couple of uncles on my mums side. The weirdest one is a cousin of my mums who when younger had a glorious shock of red hair(still has, now grey), but he had a jet black beard and again it went grey nigh on ten years after his red locks did. Never heard of that one. ... I also must day that my underarm hair is not Ginger but a Gingery brown colour
    So something similar to your dad... I'm just thankful I don't have Ginger here here blond hair there and brown hair there that would be embaressing

*one great uncle of mine never really went grey. Lived to his mid nineties and died with an amazing head of black hair, with just the odd grey
    fleck. His beard didn't go grey much either. Kinda odd looking though.

Another weird one is to have bits of Ginger hair in between your mostly brown hair my nextdoor neighbors hair is like that and I must say it looks a bit freaky... Another one is blond hair I was born with blond hair (I had it too I was 5) which is weird but now it's light brown so that must mean I have the blond hair gene aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

From what I've read one of the main genes connected to Red hair is MC1R which resides on Chromosome 16. Every person has two copies of this gene, one they inherit from their father, other from their mother.

So for example a version of this gene can give redhair, if you carry both copies you probably a real redhead. If you only carry one copy of the "red version" then depending on what the other copy is you could range from light red to for example brown with a red tinge.

Alot of Irish people have a red tinge to their hair. As mentioned about 40% of Irish people in general are carriers of red hair. Of course even then there are variations on the gene, which for example might give different shades of red etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

owenc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure ginger hair originates in russia and inland eurasia it spread to norway and Sweden and because of immigration between scotland and their that is how it got to scotland, as to how it got to the republic of ireland i don't know because i'm pretty sure there was no Norwegians migrating there.

This is mad Ted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

When I lived in Ankara in the early 70's, finishing off my Turkish language course, the family I lived with were ALL light-brown or red-heads and blue-eyed, and a v.fine-lookin' bunch they were, too. The father and mother were both lawyers, so were two sons, and the daughter [who got married about a week after I arrived] was one of the first female psychiatrists in Turkey.

They were Circassian and members of one of the largest groups of incomers into Turkey after the Russian-Caucasus War of 1862.

My Turkish language tutor, Osman Behic, was a dead ringer for Art Garfunkel, and used that to pull the gals in Nicosia, where the language school was situated.

tac

Advertisement