Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 broadband

Options
  • 26-01-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Hope I'm in the right place mods.

I am with '3' Broadband. I have an E160G dongle in the back of my desktop computer. Its very slow only 80-130kbs day and 120-220kbs during the night.
    After taking up the issue with '3' at least three times over the past 18 months I realise that I am on the far edge of a 'sector' and cannot recieve any faster speeds. ...Doesn't stop them trying to sell you the bigger dongle, 360 is it?. I'm not that much of a novice!!!!.

Anyway, a neighbough 60mtrs away has had exactly the same service from '3' at the same low speeds etc. However they tell me the've just got somesort of wi fi system from '3' so that the children canplays games in one room and the Parents use laptop in another etc. They tell me that the speeds are now very fast and all for a one of payment of €40 I think they said. The normal €19.99 per month still applies.

I have no idea what it is that they have purchased. For a one of payment like that I would be happy to have what they have. I will be seeing them soon to try and figure out what it is (unfortunately they are not tech savvy either). In the meantime could someone throw some light on things, what could it be ?.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Maybe what your neighbours got was the MiFi adapter.

http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/mifi.htm

This allows you to connect i think 5 devices at a time. So your laptop, console, mobile phone or whatever can be connected at the same time. What you have currently only allows you to browse the net on whatever device the dongle is connected to, providing it has a usb port. I know 3 also can send you a repeater which boosts your signal but you'd have to ask them if you can get one in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's the B260a i'd bet, it makes a huge difference in reception. If you get a pro upgrade it works out around €9 euro. Drop down to your nearest 3 stockist and see what they say. Think you've 7 days to take it back to the shop if it's not doing the Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Thanks guys but I still don't get it.?
    So are they still getting the data from the same mast in outer mongolia lol sorry for that, or are they now recieving the data from a satalite?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

your existing sim card goes into it. Think of it as a giant e160 with way better recpetion. It transmits a Wi-Fi signal which means you don't need to plug anything into your laptop just connect via wifi (if that's what your using), you can also connect your mobile via wifi, a ipad, xbox, what every you want. It'll support 30+ devices at the one time.

Yes it's the same mast but the signal quality is better. Also if you have a sweet spot in the house you can just leave it there and use your laptop where ever you want in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Thanks for that. lets see if I've got it.
    So this new equipent will give me faster data recieving from the same mast ( I thought that the data speed I had could not change from that same mast). Ok ,If I accept that, how is it that its so cheap (still the €19.99 per month and that on all the other occassions I have complained to '3', and I mean big time complaints to not only India but a number of offices in Dublin etc., They have never mentioned this service to me. They only ever tried to sell me a bigger dongle.....which clearly won't give me higher data speeds if my existing one just gives me kbs all the time???
    I am rather confused to say the least.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you have a better quality signal you should get a better throughput which is equivalent to a faster speed.

Think of the difference in speed achievable driving down a smooth road compared to a boreen.

Advertisement