Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new laptop wont stream movies help please

• 26-01-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

hi,

first time user here, and am struggling to work new laptop. Basically my problem is that I cant stream movies, it keeps telling me to down load Codec xVid however when I try it wont allow me...
    it is a windows 7 system and I dont know where to go to adjust the settings to allow this download, can any one help me please?? Or is that what i should be doing?
    it just keeps buffering and then it eventually stops and does nothing and asks me to down load codec again, however in the backround I can see no plugins found wiitten in the top corner of screen??

what am I doing wrong can anyone help me please, as an old timer i had my old dell desktop with xp which streamed them fine until it died...:(

I have wasted 2 evenings trying to get it to play movies and no joy yet.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Xvid codec available here..

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Try VLC, a great player that can handle almost anything.

http://www.videolan.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Windows 7 comes with most codecs out of the box, including MPEG-4 ASP (which is what Xvid is).

If you are trying to stream from an online site and it is asking you to install codecs, then most likely it is trying to get you to install malware (virus etc). It is a common tactic to trick people who are new to computers.

So I would run a virus scan asap.

If that's not the problem and you are trying to play local files, then try VLC as suggested above. It doesnt rely on external codecs so it doesnt matter what you have on your system, it should play anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭grange mac

Thanks for all replies, however my problem persists...

When I hit the play button, a new pop up window opens & it asks me to down load the xvid codec program.

At this stage I have downloaded, VLC, Realplayer and some other one. but my computer cant seem to detect them???

I know its prob a simple thing i'm not doing but really dont want to pay some fella e50 for 1 min work!!

ps AntiVirus running well, phew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If you've downloaded VLC, are you sure that you are opening the file in that application.. the file type is probably associated with WMP.. you could run VLC first and the open the xvid file..

What format is the file, and how did you acquire it? If you got it through a torrent it could be one of those files that just leads you to a website to download something nefarious...

First of all download Gspot, which will identify which audio and video codecs are required to view the video

downloadable from http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

grange mac wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies, however my problem persists...

When I hit the play button, a new pop up window opens & it asks me to down load the xvid codec program.

At this stage I have downloaded, VLC, Realplayer and some other one. but my computer cant seem to detect them???

I know its prob a simple thing i'm not doing but really dont want to pay some fella e50 for 1 min work!!

ps AntiVirus running well, phew

Try a different streaming website, sidereel can be quite good, some sites try and trick you into downloading malware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭grange mac

Were making progress:D after 3 days!!

Ok this is where were at, last nite I streamed a movie from my laptop. Here is where the issue is;

I have been tiold to try a different site, which I duely did and those movies streamed fine. I think the issue is the video format.

ch131.com uses the format Div-X and each time I go to play from this site a new window opens and asks me to download Codec Xvid (which I have done so about 10 times!!!!ahhh) but moving on from that when I went to diff site those films had diff file extension and duely played fine on the laptop.

The Ch131 site plays fine from friends older laptop with XP, however mine with Win7..well you know the story there.

Thanks for all the help Johnathan and mr Reverend!!

So any more suggestions are appreciated.

So does any1 know if their are compatibality issues with Win7 and Div-X?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

grange mac wrote: »
    Were making progress:D after 3 days!!

Ok this is where were at, last nite I streamed a movie from my laptop. Here is where the issue is;

I have been tiold to try a different site, which I duely did and those movies streamed fine. I think the issue is the video format.

ch131.com uses the format Div-X and each time I go to play from this site a new window opens and asks me to download Codec Xvid (which I have done so about 10 times!!!!ahhh) but moving on from that when I went to diff site those films had diff file extension and duely played fine on the laptop.

The Ch131 site plays fine from friends older laptop with XP, however mine with Win7..well you know the story there.

Thanks for all the help Johnathan and mr Reverend!!

So any more suggestions are appreciated.

So does any1 know if their are compatibality issues with Win7 and Div-X?

There are no compatibility issues with divx and win7, always works fine for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 ANTHONY17

Think you have done that but had to say it . I had the same problem with my own site/intro , just graded the key frame with the sound key frame little .

worst movies

Advertisement