Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break Ins Around Swords

Options
  • 26-01-2011 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Lately in my area, the estates beside the Pavillions there have been tonnes of break ins. I don't know if other areas have been similarly afflicted but it is worth double checking home security and keeping an eye out for suspicious activities. I had an intruder in my house tonight, they got away with nothing but it was a startling experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Lately in my area, the estates beside the Pavillions there have been tonnes of break ins. I don't know if other areas have been similarly afflicted but it is worth double checking home security and keeping an eye out for suspicious activities. I had an intruder in my house tonight, they got away with nothing but it was a startling experience.
    is the economc problems the country is having causing this, it is my guess that it is

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Thanks for the heads up
    I know of 2 break ins last month in Kinsealy near where I live. Kinda eerie hearing of it when it's so close to home

*Locks Doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

Yeah I live in Applewood I haven't heard of any here as yet, although this isn't really a "chatty" neighbourhood.. but a friend I work with's fella lives in Rivervalley and she has told me of at least 5 break in's in the past few weeks including her fellas house.... scary stuff... we need to try to be better neighbours to each other and look out for suspicious activity.....

i always hear of robberies coming up to christmas, we have to look out for one another, i did stop a raid at a neighbours home about 16 yrs ago, saw them trying to prise windows open, told them i had their reg of van and would be ringing guards, they got out of there like bat out of hell, had not got in to house, and i did ring guards with reg, simply because they could have done another robbery or robberies in area, so that these would come into spotlight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

This really annoys me. the general idea of someone breaking into a house sickens me.

I know back in the day it was the whole stealing from the rich etc etc.

Granted if someone looked in the back window of my house they would think i would be well off but i got all my stuff during the boom times. Now if someone broke into my house i would have no more money than they would!!!

annoys the hell out of me to think that someone thinks they can come into a house and take something they did not work hard for.

Rant over!

P.s. we invested in timer plugs. lights come on and off at random once it gets dark . worth the 20 quid i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Scary stuff all right.A couple of years ago I was at home alone around 9am and 3 lads tried to get in by pushing in the front door while sticking a screwdriver in at the lock. Lucky enough when i shouted at them through the glass door they ran off. Only about 16 years old ,but they scared the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Also I have noticed a silver Nissan Micra driving around my estate stopping and looking at houses.

It was occupied by 2 men, a women and a young boy around 14. The driver was also wearing a hi-vis vest.

Keep an eye out for them.

Didnt get a chance to write down reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thanks OP for the heads up. Sometimes I think we forget that no house is safe and thieves are definitely becoming more cocky/desperate now.
    Martron wrote: »
    P.s. we invested in timer plugs. lights come on and off at random once it gets dark . worth the 20 quid i think

A lot of these burglaries are happening during the day. Usually around lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hmmm, I had a caller today, it was VERY STRANGE.He too wore a high vis vest.He was collecting any old metal.
    He called and was very +++++ dissapointed when I gave him my old satalite dish.Im very luck, my dear lovely very kind brother (have to include in case hes reading ) is a locksmith.So my house is secure, but I never take a chance.My sisters was broken into a few years back and a knife from her knife block was found up stairs in her house.She and her two kids where away at the time. Thanks for the tip off.Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Larianne wrote: »
    Thanks OP for the heads up. Sometimes I think we forget that no house is safe and thieves are definitely becoming more cocky/desperate now.

A lot of these burglaries are happening during the day. Usually around lunchtime.

you can stick a radio into it. and turn it up load enough the burgulars may think some one is in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Martron wrote: »
    you can stick a radio into it. and turn it up load enough the burgulars may think some one is in!

Brilliant!!! Didn't think of that.

I know a lot of elderly people are being targeted around my area. Even when they are still in the house. It's horrible! :mad:

Well, we have a dog who barks at anyone who comes to the door so I think we're okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'll just add the obvious, that corner houses seem to be favourite targets of these scumbags.

is it jewellery that is being nicked to sell on, i heard today that it was on radio that there are robbberies for juewellery to sell, gold jewellery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Well since nothing was taken I can't really say, although it seems the dude was on foot so there's only so much you can carry. I'd say jewellery, cash and small electronics like digital cameras, iphones, ipods etc would be the main things they'd be looking for. There's loads of cash for gold outlets these days so maybe gold is high on the agenda. I don't think we've got any in this gaff.

i think that if they think they will find gold in houses, people are selling gold to keep above water, a few friends of mine have already cleared out all the stuff they dont need and never wore, the only places the will find any amount of gold are the rich peoples homes these days

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

We too have a medium size dog who barks at anyone who passes the house & goes crazy if anyone he doesnt regcosnise rings the bell.
    So he gives me a sense of security & I know he would alert us with his bark. He sleeps at the bottom of the stairs.
    Also we have an alarm that we use all the time, when we go out & put it on every night. I think they usually go for homes without alarms also.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the ppl that are breaking into houses are not stupid, they will usually go for a house without an alarm as opposed to one with. if you dont have an alarm, spend a few quid on a recognised brand decoy box like a hkc or some other well known brand and fit it to the front of the house. they cost about 20 euro in your local electric wholesaler. while its no guarentee that you wont be targeted, it might help deter them which is allways the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PCros wrote: »
    Also I have noticed a silver Nissan Micra driving around my estate stopping and looking at houses.

It was occupied by 2 men, a women and a young boy around 14. The driver was also wearing a hi-vis vest.

Keep an eye out for them.

Didnt get a chance to write down reg.

You sure it,s not a polo.

If it is I think they may be looking for old cars, I kinda know that guy and I don't think he' be into burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

The Muppet wrote: »
    You sure it,s not a polo.

If it is I think they may be looking for old cars, I kinda know that guy and I don't think he' be into burglary.

I think it might be a polo.

I know who he is too and I know his history.....his initials are ED yeah?

If thats correct about the cars then I'm sure I was mistaken, kinda looked dodge all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I was very annoyed walking home today, cos I was thinking about this thread last night, walking home through the village today I noticed that the canvassers were out and delivering leaflets, but had ommitted to push their leaflets all the way through the door... had them hanging out of the letter box's of a few houses. Why not just stick a big x on the door and tell the burglars "there's no-one home!"

grrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PCros wrote: »
    I think it might be a polo.

I know who he is too and I know his history.....his initials are ED yeah?

If thats correct about the cars then I'm sure I was mistaken, kinda looked dodge all the same.

That's the guy, he's looking for cars to scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

He knocked on my door recently. Asking about cars alright. No problems with him as he made sure he stayed until I answered. Gougers will knock and move on to see if house is occupied

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

I'd also warn you to be on your toes if you live in an appartment block. It's not nessicarily a 'new' thing but it's taken off a bit more.

The reasons are pretty obvious. Apartment living doesn't lend itself to being familiar or chatty with your immediate neighbours on your floor and certainly doesn't lend itself to talking to anyone above or below you. It means everyone (and their appartment) is basically isolated.

Most people won't bother to alarm an appartment either. Why I just don't know but I was shocked how many people looked at me like I had 15 heads when I got the alarm fitted here.

If you get access to a block it's pretty easy to suss in if someone is at home or not. Afternoon break ins are the norm.

A friend of mine up in Ashbourne had her floor broken into. They cleaned out the other 2 appartments completely. The police said they must have been there for a good portion of the afternoon. Furniture and the lot was taken. If the people above or below you don't know who you are then lads carrying in and out furniture all day doesn't look overly suspicous. Maybe people are moving house!

Anyway she dodged the bullet because he alarm went off (and contacted the gardai immediately) and they scattered without taking anything. Anyway the moral of the story is that apartment dwellers beware too!

Advertisement