Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 40 considered "over the hill"?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Just checking the tennis there, and was think that tennis players are in there prime around 20-24. It's very rare for a player to win their first major after this age. Obviously Federer is a huge exception from the prime age though.

If only we lived in a world where a man's worth and happiness wasn't based on his performance at tennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

If only we lived in a world where a man's worth and happiness wasn't based on his performance at tennis.
    Dream on kido :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

I turned 35 recently and 40 is a mere arm reach away. At this point in time age doesn't bother me too much. I can definitely see a huge chasm between myself and younger folk in night clubs these days though, now THAT'S very sobering :)

Getting older has some pretty sweet advantages though. People respect you and your opinions a lot more. You're generally more capable as opposed to just believing that you are. Salaries often come in line with expectations and of course there's the absence of acne that appears just before you're about to go out on a date.

I haven't met the love of my life at this point in time but there's plenty of time ;) As for kids ... well I'm open to the idea ... but honestly ... do I want a snot filled, mobile temper tantrum, parasiting my wallet and precious sleeping time? Honestly, I'd prefer a 911 and a couple of nice suits. But either way life's good. 40's? Meh! Get back to me when I'm incontinent and someone in their teens from this thread is changing my nappy ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Well my friend's flatmate just turned 40 and she's really hot - probably because she looks after herself and goes jogging every day etc. But she probably only looks after herself because she's not married! I'm hoping I wont be much different in 10 years and can stay in shape etc. So 40 is good still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    But she probably only looks after herself because she's not married!

wow...

That's some brush :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Dudess wrote: »
    (to the people who say "I feel the same as I did at 18" - you don't really, you just think you do)

Actually, you do - or at least I do and my grandmother who is 100 says that inside she still feels 17 and until she went completely blind 10 years ago she said she used to look into the mirror and wonder who on earth that old woman was. There may be a few layers of experience and maturity on top but underneath I'm still that 16 year old wondering what the feck life is all about. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If 40 is over the hill then I must be in the next valley, as my daughter turned 40 a while ago :D

As to what age do you feel, well I was 27 until I was about 45, then I moved on a bit. Now, its hard to say really, but its quite a comfortable place to be, a lot less hassle than when I was 40!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Who cares what age you are on Boards! No one is really the age or sex they are IRL.

Sure I only went online to find a date there the other week and the woman turned out to be a small chinese bloke offering to sell me cheap tobacco and fireworks!

I bought those fags and rockets......but I certainly wasn't in flavour country while smoking nor did I enjoy the spectacular aerial display that night! :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Black Swan wrote: »
    "During the Roman Empire, Romans had a approximate life expectancy of 22 to 25 years.

Source? Given that the tour of duty for a legionnaire was 16 years, rising to 20 years in later years, did they start soldiering at 2 to 5 years old? Or does the life expectancy include all the soldiers killed and conquered peoples slaughtered?

40 is old until you approach it, then it is still young as you get closer to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Age is a number. Since everyone ages at different rates, the number of your age is largely irrelevant.
    I swore an oath to myself when I was just a kid that I would never allow the number of my birth year to dictate how I lived my life, and I remain committed to that. You're an "auld fella" when you FEEL like one. And I don't see any reason why it should be more or less acceptable to enjoy certain things at whatever age you are.

Following the pre-set path society tries to map out for you has never, in my experience, actually made anyone happy. I know people in their seventies who still rock out at Green Day concerts. I know people in their twenties who find the music in nightclubs too loud (myself included, I go outside every 20-30 minutes when I'm at a club to save my hearing), I know people who are lethargic teenagers with no energy and I know "'auld wans" who climb the sugarloaf on a regular basis.

Age need only dictate you if you force yourself to follow stereotypes. On your own head be it if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

over the hill ...

...those over 40 bought the record
    (you know, them round, black things with the hole in the middle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Actually, you do - or at least I do and my grandmother who is 100 says that inside she still feels 17 and until she went completely blind 10 years ago she said she used to look into the mirror and wonder who on earth that old woman was. There may be a few layers of experience and maturity on top but underneath I'm still that 16 year old wondering what the feck life is all about. :D
    Oh I don't deny lots of us (myself included) feel younger than the age we are - ever since I was about 19 (I'm 32 now) I've been thinking "Wtf? How can I be this age?!" but life experience in itself is going to cause you to have a different outlook at, say, 35 than at 18 - even if you still feel as spritely and your attitude towards some stuff hasn't changed.
    Feeling younger than you are rather than older than you are (some young people go on as if they're right old fogeys) ftw though...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm 40, 40 feels awesome! and I feel awesome!! I feel my awesomeness a lot more than other people want to feel my awesomeness. This makes me feel 40...and in the morning? I feel awesome once again!...until...

And I'm 41 on the 2nd of Feb which is Groudhog day. Bugger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

All I will said is about five years ago I entered my first 100km race, I'm 42 this year. At the starting line was a man in in his early 70s, he had finished over 500 100km ultras by this stage. My main point was to make sure I crossed the finish line before him.

Anyway I have ran that particular race 3 times, you can stop at marathon, 60k, 82k or do the full 100k. I did finish before him, buut he finished in about 17hrs, my fastest was 11:45, and that was with me stopping every 20k for 10mins for food, drink and of course a smoke. The last time I was there, he was still running but had reduced to the 8ok finish.

I haven't been back in three years but as far as I know he is still doing ultras but keeping then to under 80km. So my answer to the question is no, if I can still do that distance at his age I be very happy.

humberklog wrote: »
    I'm 40, 40 feels awesome! and I feel awesome!! I feel my awesomeness a lot more than other people want to feel my awesomeness. This makes me feel 40...and in the morning? I feel awesome once again!...until...

And I'm 41 on the 2nd of Feb which is Groudhog day. Bugger.

40 year olds shouldn't say awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    40 year olds shouldn't say awesome

Idiots shouldn't say anything.

Banned

Idiots shouldn't say anything.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

stevejr wrote: »
    Spoken like someone with a poor grasp sex.

I must have that as I have no idea what you''re talking about. Maybe your ma knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

yes, over the hill and in Cruising mode. kick back and enjoy the ghey scene

• Advertisement
Advertisement