Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a good tripod for DSLR photography

• 26-01-2011 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I was wondering by experience what is a good tripod to use I was into 2 camera shops today and the tripods I was shown were good but I don't know which to choose one was a BENRO and the other was a SLIK tripod.

The benro tripod was €170 and the slik tripod was €70, should the price matter or once it does the job?

My camera is a canon eos 500d with a standard lens on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Make sure to get one that supports the weight you require.

Some tripods have lower end models that might only support up to 2kg, I always reckon it's a good idea to get one that supports more than you need it to.

I got a Manfrotto 7302YB for Christmas, which can hold up to 3.5kg - I don't have any combination close to that atm, so I'm fine with it. Only issue is, you can't replace the head, but that's fine by me too, I want a tripod for steadiness, don't need it to be another upgrade hogger.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-7302YB-Tripod-Ball-Head/dp/B001UO5S34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296009659&sr=8-1

Look through the Manfrotto range I'd say, you can't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Manfrotto is a great brand. Very dependable.
    Do not purchase a cheap tripod thinking it will be fine.
    One fall can destroy your camera.
    You're investing in vital apperatus.

You can pick up (different brands of) tripods on pixmania:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/home.html

Good luck and happy snapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5000-DSLR-TRIPOD-Carry/dp/B0040G5CJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296108799&sr=1-1This is the one I use with my D5000. I've had no problems with it so far. Its not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dayglo

There's always a way out....:-)

I use a manfrotto O55XB-and a 322c(?-not sure if thats the right number) ball grip head.

Would be lost without it.
    Manfrotto I'm happy with.
    The upside of the 055XB is its solid- the only downside is weight for carrying- but- its good exercise for the bod carrying it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I had a benro rated up to 13kg and it was a great tripod (till some git stole it from the car). Rock steady. I have a benro angel and manfrotto 055 both are great but I still long for the orignal Benro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

nowayout1 wrote: »
    I was wondering by experience what is a good tripod to use I was into 2 camera shops today and the tripods I was shown were good but I don't know which to choose one was a BENRO and the other was a SLIK tripod.

SLIK PRO 500 DX. Big, tall, strong. A bit heavy for hiking/biking.
    I paid €114 for mine in the local Sam McCauley chemists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have a manfrotto 055 at the mo, & am pleased with it - I would not go hillwalking with it, though!

I have also had a slik, years ago & found it great, too.

I suggest you think a bit about
    - what are you going to use it for? If urban nighttime photography say, you can probably go for a heavier one than if you are planning on hillwalking.

- How heavy a load do you need it to support? huge difference between a 7D+400mm f/2.8 say, and a powershot G11!

Advertisement