Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Galway

Options
  • 26-01-2011 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,can anyone tell me are there any good rivers for fly fishing in the Galway area, would be a great help and reduce my travelling time to find the right ones......Thanks for your help:confused:.
    By the way I`m new to Boards.ie hope you`re all well:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi, welcome.
    You can look around the Fishing forum here too
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Clare river either in clare galway or turloghmor good spots for the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mikeyqu

Thanks for that will give it a go:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BigRed32

Hey there, as i moved to Galway a few years ago i faced the same dilema, where to succesfully fish without knowing any fishermen locally??! Fortunately we were lucky enough to move to one the most abuntant game fishing areas in not just ireland but europe!:D
    I did not have the luxury of this fine site at the time so i had to gain this knowledge the old fashioned way, trial and error! but it has proven well worth it! The clare river is magnificent but there are some stretches where you will be wasting your time. Claregalway at the moment is one of those, the bridge building which is currently ongoing is one issue but also there is a family of what i belive to be otters/stoats about 700m the castle side of the bridge.
    Turloughmor, Cregmore, are quite good all season. Lacagh stretch is very good early and late in the season but its hard fished early in the season.

Hope my long winded:D reply will be of some assistance!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Oughterard river is good, you will need a licence for fishing salmon. Clare river is good for Salmon and Trout. Ask you local club or fishery officer about the regs which apply. Loughrea has a farily good lake ran by the local club, you should give them a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

firstly if you can catch fish in loughrea you will catch fish anywhere.
    I used to fish competitions there and often seen days where only 2 fish were caught among 20 boats but, saying that its about 10 years since since Ive fished there.
    Id say the best river for trout/salmon has to be the Clare river but, be careful some of the stretches are controlled by clubs and a day permit is required.
    id usually fish out of Turloughmore. it is hard to fly fish due to the very high banks.
    Lough Acalla near Killconnel is a stocked fishery that opens in may.
    You can buy a ticke in the village (39 euro) and fish as much as you like up until the end of October.Some lads turn there noses up at stocked trout but, thats were you'll find them when all the rivers are high.
    http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/game/lough-acalla.htm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement