Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerdiffstown dump on fire, might burn for months

Options
  • 26-01-2011 9:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I drove in past the ball this morning & could smell the smoke.
    I thought it was my car until I saw the smoke in the air.
    The fire service says this could burn for months.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fears-over-fire-that-cant-be-put-out-2511027.html

The hearsay & conjecture in work is that there's no security & the gates have been removed for their recycling value, if you follow my drift.
    Apparently burning rubbish provides easier access to scrap metals.

In closing we are all going to die.
    Who needs an incinerator in Poolbeg, we have one in Naas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I drove in past the ball this morning & could smell the smoke.
    I thought it was my car until I saw the smoke in the air.
    The fire service says this could burn for months.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fears-over-fire-that-cant-be-put-out-2511027.html

The hearsay & conjecture in work is that there's no security & the gates have been removed for their recycling value, if you follow my drift.
    Apparently burning rubbish provides easier access to scrap metals.

In closing we are all going to die.
    Who needs an incinerator in Poolbeg, we have one in Naas.

You got that part right.

There has been on going issues with fires over the past while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Whatever about bankers & developers destroying the country, all they destroyed was wealth.

This is a very serious health hazard and I'm very surprised that the operators are not awaiting trial for the blatant breaches of environmental & health legislation that will cause medium & long term health affects to mnay people in the area.

Probably going to be the number 1 issue in the election in these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Im getting so sick of this issue. I seen the smoke from Tesco this evening.

How can one go to jail for not paying a TV licence and the owner of this site get off scott free.

I keep getting letters in the door from E Stagg saying he is making progress .

What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

What a shambles this is.
    A massive illegal dump on the doorstep of KCC ,licensed in part by the EPA and built on the site of a former gravel pit giving direct access for leachate to get into groundwater and with a major tributary of the River Liffey - the River Morrell not 100 yards from the boundary.
    Did the so called experts in the EPA not realise or question the potential for catastrophic pollution and that this is water that ends up down at the dam in Leixlip to provide water for Dublin/Kildare.
    Its also tragic that the lower reaches of the Morrel are one of the last good spawning beds still actively used by Salmon each winter
    to spawn.
    Who'll be held accountable for this??
    Not KCC, not the Operators,not the EPA-
    I'll tell you who-In true Irish style NOBODY will.
    As someone who lives on the bank of the river Morrell i've never been more angry.

Blowing into sallins today. Smoke haze everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

I'm looking for an email address for someone from Clean Air Naas for a story in the NUIM student newspaper on the Kerdiffstown blaze. can anyone PM me contact details?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Blowing into sallins today. Smoke haze everywhere.

Driving up the M7 this morning, there was a large plume of smoke hanging over to the left by the ball...Sallins direction I would think. Also, terrible waft in the area also.

This on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os0JVuVnClU

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

As a result of the smell that had engulfed Naas today I decided to drive out to the site today to see exactly what was going on.

I have to say that I was taken aback by the depressing state of the site.

I would encourage any residents of Naas to visit the location. Access is easy as the gates are open. Believe me, you will have a few questions for any canvassers for the upcoming elections.

It is hard to put into words how bad and depressing the situation is. I cannot comprehend how this problem was allowed to develop into the wasteland that it now is.

I'm no tree hugger or enviromentalist but this would actually make me consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Sallins residents have my sympathies this evening, was coming off the M7 at the Big ball this evening and could see and smell the smoke...amazed that I only heard about the fire yesterday evening. What with the election it seems unlikely to be big news anytime soon, I'm no fan of parish pump politics but mention it to any canvassers!

So why cant this be put out. Im thinking a big excavator would soon pull apart the mound of rubbish so the fire brigade can deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

So why cant this be put out. Im thinking a big excavator would soon pull apart the mound of rubbish so the fire brigade can deal with it.
    god knows how deep or wide its burning underneath, also there would be an enormous amount of methane under it aswell

guil wrote: »
    god knows how deep or wide its burning underneath, also there would be an enormous amount of methane under it aswell

it was just on the RTE news. The army are trying to deal with now

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It's been pretty bad the past few days alright. Don't want to open the windows in the house, coz the place would stink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Have you seen the size of it?

It would need to be the biggest excavator on earth and you'd need a dozen of them.:D

The dump is almost 50 acres in size - that's three times the size of Croke Park including stands & pedestrian areas.

91011 wrote: »
    Have you seen the size of it?

It would need to be the biggest excavator on earth and you'd need a dozen of them.:D

The dump is almost 50 acres in size - that's three times the size of Croke Park including stands & pedestrian areas.

but after I seen the you tube link above, the smoke is coming from the one spot. I am going there today as I have a day off. with a camera.

Even if it did need a dozen. it has to be done. Thank god its not hitting sallins today.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

This is really bad around Naas tonight - its a fupping disgrace to be honest - I know what my #1 question to the local councillors looking to get elected to the Dail will be - how did you let that happen and what are you going to do about it. Even if it took 100 excavators (ok I'm getting mad now..) - it needs to be done - its not like we don't have the equipment or manpower to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Just stepped out there and I can smell it outside the Killashee hotel, which must be a good 5-6 miles away. God help the people living in the Sallins and monread areas of Naas- it must be unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Who'll be held accountable for this??
    Not KCC, not the Operators,not the EPA-

The people affected need to get legal advice on suing one or more of the above. This is a problem that has been building up for years during which the relevant authorities were made well aware of what was going on. A trip to Brussels might be worthwhile as it is a road others who have also been badly let down by the likes of the EPA have done - http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Ormonde-Brick-slammed-in-EU.3365087.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

but after I seen the you tube link above, the smoke is coming from the one spot. I am going there today as I have a day off. with a camera.

Even if it did need a dozen. it has to be done. Thank god its not hitting sallins today.
    William72 wrote: »
    This is really bad around Naas tonight - its a fupping disgrace to be honest - I know what my #1 question to the local councillors looking to get elected to the Dail will be - how did you let that happen and what are you going to do about it. Even if it took 100 excavators (ok I'm getting mad now..) - it needs to be done - its not like we don't have the equipment or manpower to spare!
    would either of ye risk your lives digging into an unknown fire with an extremely flammable gas present, an excavator could easily be engulfed in flames

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The people affected need to get legal advice on suing one or more of the above. This is a problem that has been building up for years during which the relevant authorities were made well aware of what was going on. A trip to Brussels might be worthwhile as it is a road others who have also been badly let down by the likes of the EPA have done - http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Ormonde-Brick-slammed-in-EU.3365087.jp

how would one proceed in this way.

I have children living in sallins and dont see why the greed and fortune of one man should affect my family's heath and well being.

I would sue . Why not. the Owner of the dump seems to be using the law as a guardian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Im in Roseville, Naas and it has been literally pungent for days and days. My only suggestion right now is to nail the ignorant ****er responsible to a cross and stick it right in the middle of the smelly dump he used in an attempt to put more money in his bank account, with absolutely no due diligence to the community or any semblence of accountability.

Only since it started to burn are the national media and state really taking notice, but they were warned about this. Why oh why has a so called civilised country allowed this to happen?

I nominate Anthony Dean of Nephin trading to be impaled first.

Hard to believe all this happened while the Greens were in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

The smell is actually getting worse outside now. This really is a disgrace- it's a pity that no one can be held financially or criminally responsible because of the dissolution of the group involved.
    I just hope there can be a speedy temporary solution for the households living near the area- followed up by a proper investigation. But I don't think we will ever see someone serving time for the misery they have caused.

This is IMO going to drag on foronths (If not years) and will make life unbearable in Naas

guil wrote: »
    would either of ye risk your lives digging into an unknown fire with an extremely flammable gas present, an excavator could easily be engulfed in flames

yes. I would do it. It has to be done.

Someone has to do it.. And I guess its going to be hard to get a fire man with an excavator ticket .

so why not. . Im sure all precautions will be taken to deal with safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

how would one proceed in this way.

I have children living in sallins and dont see why the greed and fortune of one man should affect my family's heath and well being.

I would sue . Why not. the Owner of the dump seems to be using the law as a guardian

I would get advice from the likes of An Taisce and Friends of the Irish Environment who have experience in this area given the poor environmental record(especially in respect of basic enforcement issues like this one) of the current and previous Irish Governments and their statutory authorities like the EPA and KCC.

It looks like security is being set up now .

A machine was digging around the gate earlier today . It looks like new gates are being installed

They also have machine working inside the dump.

It looks like security is being set up now .

A machine was digging around the gate earlier today . It looks like new gates are being installed

They also have machine working inside the dump.

Just back from there now. The site is floodlit. A lot of activity going on, but it continues to burn and the smell is worse. One would wonder if we actually have the expertise to deal with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

The politicians are certainly going to get it in the neck when they call to my door at the next election.....whatever about the "National" crisis, when they start going down the road of "local issues" to try and distract me from all the other things that are going on in the country like they ususally do, they'll regret they ever pushed the doorbell...

....while I'm not living next to it, I am in the county of Kildare and not a million miles from it...the smoke and fire is only the start of this...what about the smell for the last number of years on the outskirts of Naas?..what about the cost of clean up?...what about the health issues for years to come for people living close to it..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 benthebeetle

Just took a spin up to the site. Security guard came over to me. Nice Polish fella. Actually all the lads I spoke to were from Poland (not surprised). Surely at the very least, these guys should have been wearing face masks as the smoke is actually so bad that it makes you gag. A horrible dry feeling in your throat that makes you want to get the hell out of there. The plume is drifting South East towards Punchestown right now and with this Northerly wind combined with High Pressure the toxic plume is blowing into the most densely populated areas around Naas this weekend.

Let there be no confusion here, this is an Environmental disaster. I think the EPA is not putting all there cards on the table and information is being spun to make this not look as bad as it really is. No ones knows what is in this dump as it was an illegal site until 2003 and after that the operators breached there licence continously until proceedings were initiated by the EPA and this resulted in the clousure in 2010.

Some links below that explain what a Subsurface Landfill Fire is and how they happen:

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/swfacilities/Fires/LFFiresGuide/default.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 benthebeetle

Just found this link to an IT article last year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1129/1224284371403.html

Thank God for Boards, it a very good record of what has been going on here.

Where the hell was the EPA in all of this ? Why was this let go on so long ? No controls by the EPA, no monitoring, no enforcement. Nothing. Who is accountable ?

Now we all have to pay for this mess....

• Advertisement

Accountability runs like this;

Nephin Trading and its corrupt Directors and associated companies are accountable for breaking the law.

KCC are accountable for ignoring it.

The EPA are accountable for failing in their duty of care.

The DOE are accountable and what makes it even more sickening is that it was a Green Party Minister.

And right at the top table are the cabinet for letting these agencies fail.

I appreciate that legal proceedure takes time, but the entire back story to this issue stinks like the dump itself. Nobody will be sent to jail and nobody will resign. The book will be passed and passed.

Only now with the dump on fire and the national media taking a consistant interest do we see the start of some action. Personally I'd like to see the Directors of Nephin Trading left homeless and pennyless after this.

Advertisement