Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerdiffstown dump on fire, might burn for months

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

And here's our A1 Waster Mr. Anthony Dean.

00021912-314.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just found this link to an IT article last year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1129/1224284371403.html

Thank God for Boards, it a very good record of what has been going on here.

Where the hell was the EPA in all of this ? Why was this let go on so long ? No controls by the EPA, no monitoring, no enforcement. Nothing. Who is accountable ?

Now we all have to pay for this mess....

The EPA are a waste of space - their board is full of IBEC types from the very industries there supposed to be regulating, go figure:rolleyes:

www.villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2011/01/unloved-epa/

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/71766

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

It may take several weeks and more than €2m to extinguish an underground fire as big as 10 houses raging at an abandoned dump.

And yesterday health experts were due to visit householders living near the dump at Kerdiffstown, near Naas, Co Kildare, to advise on protection measures against respiratory illness.
    An expert from British consultants SKM Enviros with experience in tackling fires below ground visited the site yesterday to assess the environmental emergency.
    On Friday night public agencies, including the environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Health Service Executive (HSE) and Kildare County Council met with residents and local politicians to brief them on the difficulties posed by the underground fire, which has been burning since last week.
    At least 30,000 people live in the shadow of the dump and the smell of burning has reached all parts of Naas and some surrounding areas.
    The EPA has, from yesterday, provided 24-hour security on the site -- a measure that local residents have been seeking for more than a year.

Spontaneous combustion is the most likely cause of the main fire, including a build-up of flammable gases.

Air quality measurement in the area has been increased but, so far, tests have discovered no breach of permitted standards.
    The HSE has advised householders in the path of the fire's smoke plume to close windows and doors as a precaution.

It also advises that people with existing respiratory or cardiac problems, young children and the elderly may experience problems. Anyone with symptoms should reduce their level of activity and consult their doctor, it says.
    Smoke from the fire contains elevated levels of sulphur dioxide and some local residents have had to leave their homes. The council is also considering if a wider evacuation may be required should the fire get worse.
    (pretty grim reading if you ask me :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the question is now.

Will this issue be put to bed after the fire in put out.

Will the dump be cleaned up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

there was talk of it being moved out to drehid landfill and callan was doing it for a while but i dunno what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

this hazard has to have been flagged for a very long time , the kcc, the epa and dept of enviroment have a lot to answer for ..This dump has been operating for years without anybody checking on what they were doing.The kildare county council gave them a free reign as far as i can see, Also what have the ,including myself, local residents done over the past few years ....not a lot .Like the kkc and epa we let it go on without much protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I hope with all the press this is getting the poor locals will get this to an end.

I was in Naas Friday night and i have to say the family felt sick in the car driving around,bloody awful.

I think this situation sums up alot of what our unfortunate country has become,a stale mess :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You can guarantee that if this fire was in some leafy suburb of Dublin it'd be sorted in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

I heard Brian Cowen suggested we get all the unemployed to stitch all the Kitchen fire blankets in the greater dublin area together and lay it over the dump using air corp helicopters, thus smuthering it :p
    ABSHULUTLY
    Hes in the business of making them tough decisions and has a mandate to do so:confused:

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    You can guarantee that if this fire was in some leafy suburb of Dublin it'd be sorted in no time.

made worse by the fact that its Dublin's rubbish in the dump

I heard from a friend there was trouble last night in the dump near Carbury.

Trucks taking rubbish from Kerdifftown dump where bringing it to Carbury after midnight. The residents came out in force and blocked the gates with there own trucks.

Why o Why did we not think of the a years ago

• Advertisement

dunno what happened last night but this morning i was passing drehid at 6:30 this morning, they didnt look too happy at me in a bin lorry
    they blocked trucks getting in this morning and the guards were called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

I just heard this morning that they are now trying to move the waste to Silliot Hill in Kilcullen. I for one won't be happy.

From "A Kilcullen Diary" Blog:

The Environmental Protection Agency is in talks this morning with residents and community groups in Kilcullen to see if they can bring waste from the burning landfill at Kerdiffstown to the Greenstar KTK waste disposal facility at Silliott Hill, Kilcullen, writes Brian Byrne.

Greenstar have confirmed to the Diary that they have been asked to accept some 2,000 tonnes of the waste temporarily, pending it being checked for 'anything sinister'.

EPA representatives began talking to residents in the landfill area last night, and this morning are talking to Kilcullen Community Action.

Geoff Bailey, MD of Greenstar's waste disposal division, confirmed this morning that the waste will only be accepted if the EPA can convince the local community that it is OK to do so.

"As far as we can see, the material is mostly wet soil and burned wood, and we don't think there is anything sinister there. If, however, there is dangerous material, that will be taken away and exported as hazardous waste."

Attempts to move the material to the Drehid waste disposal operated by Bord na Mona at Timahoe earlier this week were suspended after residents complained.

Local resident Helen Nolan said this morning that the community of Kilcullen needed to be made aware of the situation.

Source: http://kilcullenbridge.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

It has to be moved somewhere or the fire will keep burning. If the site wasn't prepared or maintained properly. The material needs to be moved to ensure it doesn't contaminate the water supply or produce dangerous gases. Assuming their is nothing dodgy hidden in the dump, moving the material to a properly maintained licensed landfill is the best solution.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    It has to be moved somewhere or the fire will keep burning. If the site wasn't prepared or maintained properly. The material needs to be moved to ensure it doesn't contaminate the water supply or produce dangerous gases. Assuming their is nothing dodgy hidden in the dump, moving the material to a properly maintained licensed landfill is the best solution.
    great post, i dont know what the hullabaloo was over drehid, its a good 4 or 5 km in from the main road and ya cant get a smell until ya get really close to actual landfill
    i'd say theres over a million tonnes in there already so whats the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

gsxr1 wrote: »
    the question is now.

Will this issue be put to bed after the fire in put out.

Will the dump be cleaned up!!

Like they cleaned up the toxic waste site at Haulbowline in Cork. Oh wait.....no no they didn't do that and its still there waiting to cause problems

I have to say this **** makes me very angry

Edit: Its like the Springfield dump tyre fire in The Simpsons. Brian Cowan playing the role of Mayor Quimby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

EvilMonkey wrote: »

There is the problem. who do YOU trust to tell you that there is nothing to worry about in it? it is construction and demolition waste, who knows what is in there? I do not want this within a few miles of where my children play,sleep, live.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    made worse by the fact that its Dublin's rubbish in the dump

I heard from a friend there was trouble last night in the dump near Carbury.

Trucks taking rubbish from Kerdifftown dump where bringing it to Carbury after midnight. The residents came out in force and blocked the gates with there own trucks.

Why o Why did we not think of the a years ago

Can't find any mention of this online, is there any links for this? I can find mention of protests and meetings alright, but no truck blocking.

lynski wrote: »
    Can't find any mention of this online, is there any links for this? I can find mention of protests and meetings alright, but no truck blocking.

I was told by a person who lives there. Guess they dont have internet out in the sticks

lynski wrote: »
    they definitely blocked trucks sunday night/monday morning and the guards were called

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

that article about blocking the trucks was in the indo at the start of the week, maybe tuesday.

• Advertisement

Its really really bad there tonight. We are gagging on the fumes in Sallins. The rain seems to be making it smoke worse.

Doctor in the morn for an assessment on my child lingering cough . Bill going to EPA.

Did they not put it out. Heard they injected nitrogen into it last week and put it out

guil wrote: »
    Did they not put it out. Heard they injected nitrogen into it last week and put it out

it is worse than ever. The whole brigade is still up there. I passed the dump entrance and the road to sallins had 5 feet of visablity .

http://kilcullenbridge.blogspot.com/2011/02/public-meeting-tonight-on.html
    Monday, February 07, 2011
    Public meeting tonight on KTK/Kerdiffstown
    A public meeting will be held tonight to provide information and an update on the possibility of waste from Kerdiffstown being put into the KTK landfill in Kilcullen.

It will be held in Kilcullen Town Hall/Heritage Centre on Main Street at 8pm, and has been organised by Kilcullen Community Action.

Representatives of KTK will attend, and Kildare County Council and the Environmental Protection Agency have been asked to send reps.

This is an urgent matter, and all with an interest in Kilcullen and its environment are urged to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I thought this Dump was the cause of the bad smell, if it's on fire, how come the bad smell was still there at the weekend and me driving by Palmerstown House?

not all of it is on fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

For the first time this weekend I could get the smell from the fire right here in Blessington:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I thought this Dump was the cause of the bad smell, if it's on fire, how come the bad smell was still there at the weekend and me driving by Palmerstown House?

Cause burning rubbish = bad small too? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

There has been conflict before on Boards about where the smell came from. I myself always assumed it came from the Kerdiffstown Dump. But with it being on fire (and apparently closed), surely the the smell is not the exact same as before? Maybe it is, I dunno..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

There has been conflict before on Boards about where the smell came from. .., surely the the smell is not the exact same as before? Maybe it is, I dunno..

The original putrid smell originated in this dump at Kerdiffstown and has just been overpowered by the acrid smoke from the same site.

Advertisement