Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerdiffstown dump on fire, might burn for months

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Taken from private ground with permission and from public road with telephoto lens.
    I also spoke to a resident who does business in the area beside the site. He said he had to leave this morning as the smoke had completely enveloped his yard and he could not breath.

Print these pics. show the election canvassers . Ask them why this can of worms has been allowed to go on for so long. Ask them why the KCC or EPA turned a blind eye. It all stinks if you ask me.

dump1.jpg
    dump2.jpg
    dump3.jpg
    dump4u.jpg
    dump5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Thursday Feb 10th has been a particularly bad day for the smell in Naas. Considering the media are reporting that its being solved, on the ground observations suggest its still burning like hell and the odour is as bad as ever.

I have no belief in the so called news anymore. My 3 year old has sporadic coughing and when I open the door, the smell is overwhelming. GSXR1's photos and reports prove that this facility is still out of control. Even as I sit here typing at 1.25am with windows and doors closed, I can still get the odour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

My dad lives in Sallins and has developed a really nasty cough,he was sick with lung problems up until this past Christmas and we all have our fingers crossed that they dont come back again,but if they do I know what caused it.The council told him to stay inside,keep everything closed and put wet towels under doors etc,shocking that this type of thing is happening in so called modern Ireland.

KCC,DOE and the EPA are an absolute shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Thursday Feb 10th has been a particularly bad day for the smell in Naas. Considering the media are reporting that its being solved, on the ground observations suggest its still burning like hell and the odour is as bad as ever.

I have no belief in the so called news anymore. My 3 year old has sporadic coughing and when I open the door, the smell is overwhelming. GSXR1's photos and reports prove that this facility is still out of control. Even as I sit here typing at 1.25am with windows and doors closed, I can still get the odour.

The lenster leader or the Kildare Nationalist clearly printed in head lines that is was going to be out last weekend.

The place is as bad as ever
    There is extensive work going on in other parts of the site with 3 bulldozers covering over a water filled hole. I just wish I could get hold of the EPA to find out what they are covering up.
    What is it that they are spreading. Is that the burned waste dug out of the hole , mixed into water.

This is very distressing as it could filter through the dump into OUR water table!! Or the River Liffy!! I would love clarity on this. That does not look like hardfill. As it is black.

At this stage I consider everyone up there as part of the problem. As past history has proved . They dont seem to be working on behalf of the people of Kildare. My young son has also developed a nasty chest which has lead to a hospital visit as he has vomited several times because of it. I believe it is directly caused by the smoke of the 24hr a day burning of very old nasty waste from god knows where.
    The fire brigade and engineers are failing in their attempt to put this disaster out.

Why is it common knowledge that it has been dealt with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can lay back and do nothing on this. Or we can get up and raise hell as fatcats laugh at us . With heavy pockets....

dumph.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

gsxr1, Thanks for the photos. Does anyone actually know what it is precisely that is burning underneath the ground? Would they even tell us if they did? The owner/s of the dump would certainly know. Has anyone tried to contact them? They should be forced to inform the public what is polluting the atmosphere in this area and how much of it there is etc.

This is an absolute disgrace and very worrying. If they can't manage to extinguish this fire, they should bring in outside experts to deal with it immediately. With everything else that is going on at present, this is not getting enough media attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

gsxr1 wrote: »
    The lenster leader or the Kildare Nationalist clearly printed in head lines that is was going to be out last weekend.

The place is as bad as ever
    There is extensive work going on in other parts of the site with 3 bulldozers covering over a water filled hole. I just wish I could get hold of the EPA to find out what they are covering up.
    What is it that they are spreading. Is that the burned waste dug out of the hole , mixed into water.

This is very distressing as it could filter through the dump into OUR water table!! Or the River Liffy!! I would love clarity on this. That does not look like hardfill. As it is black.

At this stage I consider everyone up there as part of the problem. As past history has proved . They dont seem to be working on behalf of the people of Kildare. My young son has also developed a nasty chest which has lead to a hospital visit as he has vomited several times because of it. I believe it is directly caused by the smoke of the 24hr a day burning of very old nasty waste from god knows where.
    The fire brigade and engineers are failing in their attempt to put this disaster out.

Why is it common knowledge that it has been dealt with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can lay back and do nothing on this. Or we can get up and raise hell as fatcats laugh at us . With heavy pockets....
    there should be a waterproof membrane at the very bottom of the waste along with layers of sand and stone and other materials, it could very easily burn through it though

i cant see any possibility of the fire being put out anytime soon, theres just too much of an area to cover

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

BUMP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

The Raven. wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know what it is precisely that is burning underneath the ground?
    This is an absolute disgrace and very worrying. If they can't manage to extinguish this fire, they should bring in outside experts to deal with it immediately. With everything else that is going on at present, this is not getting enough media attention.

"Mostly Wood and other building material plus other unknown material" is what I remember was reported but can't find the article/news story at the moment...have checked the articles in the national papers but they don't mention that specifically...

They're trying to use Nitrogen gas to starve the below surface fire of oxygen - last reports are that it was helping, but more work is required.

It's only a story for a while in the national press..there are other equally important issues out there so it can't be headline news all of the time...voting day is soon...watch this space...;)

Still burning and the smell is noticeable in the Globe retail park today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

LL has another headline bout the fire being out in a week or 2 - where have I heard that before??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gsxr1, Thanks for the photos. Does anyone actually know what it is precisely that is burning underneath the ground?
    I doubt it. It was said in post 29 that until 2003 it was an illegal dump. There are two types of waste: hazardous, and non-hazardous. The latter doesn't cost much to dump, the former does. So I'd say most, if not all of the waste is hazardous material, whic no-one what it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Fire fighting ends at Kildare landfill

Celina Barrett, Kildare’s chief fire officer, told The Journal that fire fighting at the site had ended but due to the unstable nature of the dump it would continue to be monitored.

“Hopefully next week we can declare it safe,” she said of the landfill site.

http://www.thejournal.ie/fire-fighting-ends-at-kildare-landfill-2011-02/

So is the fire is still burning? This article doesn't actually say that the fire is out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I do not accept that

I hope there aren't any abandoned strip mines in the area. This fire which started in a land fill and spread underground to an abandoned stip mine has been burning for almost 50 years.
    It was started when firefighters sent in to clean up the landfill decided to burn the rubbish and were unable to extinguish the fire.

In 1962, a landfill site in Centralia, Pennsylvania was set on fire. The rubbish was located in the pit of an abandoned strip mine, and although it was believed to have been extinguished at the time, the fire actually remained burning in the lower depths and eventually spread to an eight-mile seam of coal, where it has now been burning for 49 years.

Initial attempts to extinguish the fire were unsuccessful, and it continued to burn throughout the 1960s and 1970s. It soon became apparent that carbon monoxide produced by the blaze was having adverse effects upon the health of the locals, but it wasn’t until 1979 that people became aware of the scale of the problem.

A couple of years later a 12-year-old boy fell into a 45 metre-deep sinkhole that suddenly opened beneath his feet, and people began to leave this place in earnest. Centralia’s population dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to just 9 in 2007. Today, all buildings within the borough have been condemned (you can see in the satellite shots that there are hardly any left now), and the few that remain lost their ZIP codes back in 2002.

It is reckoned this fire could continue burning for anothe 200 years.

So is the fire is still burning? This article doesn't actually say that the fire is out!

There's still a strong smell, but less smoke coming from the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I do not accept that

As long as there is smoke there is fire.

Irish Indo reporting today that its under control and the Fire service will be winding down activities at the site.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/monthlong-landfill-blaze-brought-under-control-2547268.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Seems to be under control now. There is security there now 24/7 and I haven't seen a fire brigade there for a few days now. Hopefully the smell will go away as well, although that was a problem for a long long time - before there was any fire!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Drive by everyday on the way to work and it's much improved this week.

Advertisement