Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a mortgage

Options
  • 26-01-2011 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi, i visted my broker and was told that a car loan i have would have to be cleared before applying for a mortgage, is this true with all banks?
    i have saving for the mortgage but if i use theses to clear off the loan , wont have enough. the loan is for 15k.

thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Usually standard practice is to be debt free and have at least 10% of the cost of your house. Some banks do differ about the 10% some more some less. They are not taking any chances at them moment so it may be harder to get a mortgage considering the times we are in. So any outstanding loans / credit cards are not in your favour. :)

You (and your partner) need to be in full time employment. To stand any chance. (Not a requirement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

yeah i'm in full employment, was told the only problem was the loan! Always thought they it could be rolled into it. Seems to be very hard to get a mortgage as right

pw01 wrote: »
    yeah i'm in full employment, was told the only problem was the loan! Always thought they it could be rolled into it. Seems to be very hard to get a mortgage as right

Back in the day yes maybe they could have done it. (maybe still but only under certain circumstances)

Your car would cost you twice what you paid for it if your paying it off over 25/30 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

Did anyone elses have this problem of not getting a mortgage cause of a loan they had?

pw01 wrote: »
    Did anyone elses have this problem of not getting a mortgage cause of a loan they had?

They are not likely going to give someone who is -€15,000 + Interest a Mortgage.

If you had €30,000 savings they would look at you differently or you were a Doctor.

I am in the same position as you are. Unfortunatly that seems to be the way it is.

They want all car loans / credit cards / personal loans cleared. + Savings in the bank. :(

You could talk to a loan officer in the bank but you will get a simmilar answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement