Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy training/ help

• 26-01-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

just got a golden labrador puppy it 9 weeks old. its a nice playful pup, ive a 1 year old boy who still thinks its a great teddy. ive manageged to get the pup to stop playfully biting just by shouting no when she did it, im ttryin to house train her at the min but was just wondering is there any advise ye could give to me as im new to raising dogs. i want to train her so i can keep her inside. is there anything golden labradors do/ dont respond to good or bad or is there any book ye could recomend?

house training..
    i was bringing her outside to garden every few hours to poo/pee and give her a treat when she did her business but now she keeps going out side run to the garden then come back and sittin inside the door lookin for treats. (choc button things) was readin about putting paper by the door in a diff thrread ill try than now hopefully get somewhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Here you go http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/digital-dog-training-textbook

You are doing the right thing re: the housetraining but the pup is 9 weeks old. You need to keep going outside with it until it gets the idea. I don't use treats for housetraining, just lots of fuss and love when the pup goes outside.

Re the mouthing, labs can be a mouthy breed. Best thing is to yelp loudly when it nips and ignore until the pup has calmed down. It soon learns that mouthing = no more playing.

Also just in case please make sure that the treats are dog chocolate and not real chocolate as real chocolate is poisonous for dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

We got a lab at 7 weeks old and is now 11 months old. Expect it to poo and pee at times in the house. We found as our lab grew she was able to hold longer and when she got to that stage she know that outside was where to go. We did try the pupping training pads at the door in the corridor her bed was in but we found they didnt work too well. Just keep showing the dog to the garden so when its older it knows where to go.

They are very mouthy and will explore everything with the mouth and if its chewable they,ll chew and chew. We lost numerous amounts of shoes, slippers and shirts. Also tried to chew our skirting boards and the legs on our kitchen chair. They are easy to train to sit, give their paw and other things. Get chew toys or the raw hide bones are great.

A few things we didnt do which are causing problems now are we didnt train ours to walk properly on the lead and she now pulls so that she makes walks a nightmare, also we use to let her jump up to say hello when we came home. Now she still does it but is 25kg of flying lab which is quiet unenjoyable as your sent flying backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mussha

when i bring her outside i sometimes put her on a lead and it was a nightmare she do anything but what i wanted her to do.. how can ya train them to go on lead apart from a jerk on the lead?
    how do ya train them to stop jumpin up on people?
    ive a 3 year old who only stays every other day and she jump all over him playing but he well able for her so i leave em be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

The best way to house train is be patient and consistent!! Take pup out after eating, waking up and playtime, no need to for the lead (and please don't jerk the lead, pointless and counter productive), I would stop the treats also, just go outside with it and stand there, don't talk or play with it, just let it sniff round, give it maybe 10 or 15 mins to poop and/or pee, if nothing after that then back inside, if it then goes inside then just scoop it up immediately (mid pee if necessary) and take it back outside, as soon as it pees or poops, say a command 'toilet' or whatever word you want to use it doesn't matter, eventually you will be able to go outside, say the word and the dog will go. Lots of praise and cuddles when it goes, no need for the treats.

Re the biting, the best thing I have found is just doing a short 'yap' and pulling your hand away and stop playing for a minute or so, that should be all you need to but the rest of the family have to do it as well, also it's a 9 week old pup so you will get nipped anyways, plus things will be chewed, that's what happens when you have a pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Id try stop the jumping on the 3 year oild. might be cute and playful now but in a few months the pup will easily knock the 3 yo over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP try saying something when she goes and soon she'll learn that that word phrase = go to the loo. Our guy is 18 months now and is only allowed out on his lead while his leg heals up. I've been taking him out to the loo on his lead for 11 weeks now - he takes AGES to find a spot going around in circles, changing his mind etc but usually once I tell him to hurry up he does his thing.

Advertisement